Titan ReloadingInline FabricationReloading EverythingLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionWideners
Snyders Jerky Repackbox

Thread: large mag pistol primer

large mag pistol primer

Any one use large mag pistol primers in a 45 ACP? I have a couple thousand mag primers i would like to make use of. Ive been using unique with 230 gr cast boolit. I have some W231 and red dot.
    Dont pee down my back and tell me its raining.

Boolit Buddy
    I sort of do. Winchester LPP are for standard and magnum loads. That is what I use.

'Chucker, I have. I used WLPM , started with 4.0gr 231, under a cast 230 gr RN. Was looking for a plinking load, not a defense load. IIRC, I ended up at about 4.7gr/231. Start low and go for it!
    if it doesn't fit, don't force it. Get a BIGGER HAMMER!

Boolit Master
    I have used them with some Red Dot loads. I did not chrony them though. I was just seeing if there was a difference in POI from the LPP. ( Not enough to matter at 25yds. Did not test out any further yet)
    I use loads that are not near Max. suggested, BTW. ( 4.9 R.Dot or below/230gr.)
    I just did it in case I could not get any LPP in the future, as at the time I was having trouble locating SPP & wanted to see if the LMPP would do in a pinch, if the LPP ever became hard to get, like the SPP was at that time.

I think if ya keep the loads ya make under .1 to .2 of the Max. Suggested loads in the load manuals, you should be OK to use them. At your own risk of course. It is your firearm/ammo & thus, your responsibility.

Good luck! Please let us know what ya decide to do.
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

During the primer shortage after the Sandy Hook shootings, I got an outstanding deal on 5000 Wolf large pistol magnum primers for use in .44 mag with WC820 powder. This combo was especially bad in cold weather with many squibs. I used them all up in my 1911s with 231 powder. They made no difference at all compared to standard primers.

Thanks guys. I will give them a try.
    Dont pee down my back and tell me its raining.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by CIC View Post
    I sort of do. Winchester LPP are for standard and magnum loads. That is what I use.
    I use these as well. Work fine for me.

Boolit Master

I also got a really good deal on 15K Fed LPM primers , ended up using 10K in 45 acp ! was not a max load and was the same load I worked up using Fed LP primer. at 25 yards and shooting 25 shot groups from the bench the load using the lp primer had a slight accuracy edge but not much , shooting off hand I doubt if the difference would detectable.

Boolit Grand Master

Load them up and go shoot.

So long as you weren’t on the ragged edge pressure wise with your previous loads, changing to the Large Mag PP is fine.

Boolit Man
    So, if I am reading this right, it would be OK to use Mag pistol Primers (CCI350) as long as the load is not considered a hot load?? The only way I have of checking for high pressure is the recoil, and maybe primers flattening or piercing. Maybe I should just back my load off a full grain or more and work my way back up. I am using Bullseye powder in my .45's.