Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingLoad DataSnyders Jerky
Inline FabricationWidenersReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Repackbox MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Need a little info.

Boolit Buddy

Need a little info.

I attended a local "Toy Show" today and a S&W Mod 15-4 (Combat Masterpiece) followed me home. It was kinda "grungy" but cleaned up well -- except for one minor detail. At some time or other some miscreant has taken what appears to have been an 8d nail or similar instrument and scratched what appears to be an ID # on both sides of the frame as well as "CAMU". The bore us nice and shiny, the cylinder locks up nicely, cyl gap will pass a .003 feeler gauge but not a .004". the serial #is 91K99xx. All in all, I bought it as a "shooter", which I think it will do nicely. My question is: year of mfg and is it +P rated? Any info/help is appreciated. TIA Stan

Boolit Master

Several years ago I bought a 15 no dash. It was Navajo police surplus and had numerous numbers engraved on it. A gunsmith polished nearly all of it out, cerakoted it and I was out the door for less than a buck.

15-4 will handle +P but a steady diet of it puts undo beating on the revolver. I you want something
    in this range of revolver m19 S&W is basically same gun built a little heavier. Both are very good
    revolvers

Boolit Master
    I have a 15-3 #835xxx which was made around 1968, I never cared to run +P out of it.

Shoot it regularly with regular P, sometimes with +P, and you'll be fine. My wife and I love ours.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master
    It was made in 1981 and is +P rated. I would join the chorus and recommend shooting 38 Special or Midrange loads for most of your shooting pleasure and saving the +p stuff for "serious social interactions."
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the 70s my LEO agency converted to M15s with 4" barrels. A query was sent to S&W regarding the use of +P ammunition. As per S&W a steady diet of +P ammunition for training and service use would not harm the M15s in any way. They were made to handle the pressure. Subsequently I, as the agency training officer, established a program of training using +P equivalent loads and service ammunition. In my tenure there none of the M15s ever showed any sign of being "battered" from such use. All remained in service a number of years (approximately 10 - 12) until traded in for semi-autos.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks to all for the help. Larry, I'm not really surprised that S&W gave you the "go Ahead" for the use of +P ammo. However, I am surprised that they didn't start marking their product as +P tolerant at the time. Oh well, what do I know? My use of the "high octane" ammo will be confined to "social" requirements. Thx to all. Stan

I've got a 15-2 and a 15-4. These pistols are great shooters and very well built. I know they could handle a steady diet of +P loads, but I only feed them WC and SWC boolets with light to moderate charges of Bullseye. Keeps the shooting fun and the guns are sure to last a long time. If I want to shoot +P or .357 velocity, I use a 6" Ruger Security Six.

Boolit Master
    Some kind of "COP" type stamp.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Dorf View Post
    However, I am surprised that they didn't start marking their product as +P tolerant at the time. Stan
    I believe the Model 15 or other J and K frame 38's were made long before there was such a thing as +P. Before my time but I believe there was at one time a 38 Special ammo hotter than standard named 38/44. I'm assuming the 38/44 ammo was intended for the 38 Special S&W model of the same name built on the heavier N frame. I'm speculating but my guess +P came about to compete with Super-Vel brand in the late 60's or early 70's.

Boolit Buddy
    Property tag ID number, when weapons are used is a self defense situation, they are scribed with a property tag ID number that corresponds with the case number. Some are returned to the owner after the case is cleared. Depending on what type of case they might be sold to dealers.......just a theory

Boolit Buddy
    Claypool and Beachbum444: I kinda suspected that the "autograph" had something to do with the "legal System". It would be interesting to track it down--just for my own curiosity/ satisfaction. Thx for the info. Stan

I have a model 15-2 with the 4" barrel, and I don't get very consisten accuracy out of it. I need to slug the throats first, but in you guys experience, are they usually fairly consistent? or do they often need to be reamed?
    An armed man in a citizen.
    An unarmed man is a subject.
    A disarmed man is a slave.

I have a 15-3 with 4 inch barrel. It is a superb shooter with anything I have tried in it.
    I haven't slugged the barrel or checked the cylinder throats since it shoots so well.

I have kept a Model 15 around for years now. It's just down right hard to to beat a 38 Special in a K frame with a 4" barrel and adjustable sights. Anything from 105 grain plinking loads, all the way up to 170 grain Keith boolits.

My last find (auction sight SCORE!), has numbers stamped on it just above the trigger guard and has been cerakoted. Great truck and plinking gun.

Murphy
    If I should depart this life while defending those who cannot defend themselves, then I have died the most honorable of deaths. Marc R. Murphy '2006'.

Boolit Buddy
    Gotta agree with you Murph--I've had it about a week or so now and it grows on ya. As soon as I get through messin' with my .44 Spl. I'll really start wringing the M-15 out.