Load DataReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Lee PrecisionInline FabricationRepackboxWideners
RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: HEADS UP! Ruger No. 1 rifles for 2018.

Sometimes no3s are 600 or so. I like the latching lever on the No1, and the absence of a barrel band.

I thought savage 340s were single lug bolt guns.

Cheshire Oregon-Near Eugene about 60 miles from Pacific coast
    I've heard a number of people want to convert theirNo.1 to 35 Whelen why not just get one in 9.3 by 74. It'll do more than the 35 Whelen and works really nice in the number one with the rimmed cartridge.

Sent from my SM-J320V using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by curioushooter View Post
    Sometimes no3s are 600 or so. I like the latching lever on the No1, and the absence of a barrel band.

I thought savage 340s were single lug bolt guns.
    They are, although the bolt handle acts as an additional safety lug. The fuse is the cartridge, rather than the bolt. The 30-30 case will limit out before the rifle, so there's no real hot-rodding to be done. But finding a max published load for the 30-30 that is accurate, and then using spritzers, makes for a light handy 250 yard deer round. 150 grs Hornady SST at 2500 fps MV has a MPBR of about 265 yards.

To answer the question about whelen vs some oddball Euro rimmed cartridge...

I've got all sorts of .358 dies, and all sorts of 30-'06 brass. That cartridge is impressive, but not as versatile as whelen, which can be loaded down to 357 magnum of needed. For deer, run it like a 35 Rem, for Elk run it at its potential.

From what I've read the extraction/ejection mechanism on the no1 is so well designed and robust, rimmed cartridges (which I normally prefer) have little advantage.

The only #1 I want is blued with a nice stock, AH forend, 24" barrel with iron sights in 30-40 Krag.
    There, I said it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

I load Speer 130 gr HPs for 30/30s. I have shot some really nice 100yd groups with them. I have
    shot them from 219 Sav, 340s, 788s and Marlin 336s. Out of 788 Rem they rival 308 for accuracy.
    When Springfield Armory came out with M1a, a booklet came with it listing the Speer 130hp as
    a top accuracy load. I have found this bullet is accurate in 30 cals from 30/30 to 300 Win.

Boolit Master
    I want a nice older black pad (I'd feel bad about swapping out the pad on a red pad) .375H&H.
    I know a gun shop about 500 miles away from my home where there has been a red pad for the last 2 years. If it's still there this spring when I head that way, I may just take it home. Or at least make an offer.
    Problem is, I really want a Pachmyer Pad on it before lighting off too many 300 grainers @ 2500.

I used to want a .416 Rigby, but really don't want to tote all that much weight anymore.

I could feel love for a .30-40, but I've got a pretty nice Krag, so I doubt I'd go there. Especially considering the fit and finish I've seen on some of the newer #1's.

My .45-70 and my 7x57 both need another sibling #1.

What is the status of Ruger's #1 & #3 single shots?

I know #3's are dead ducks, although I love 'em. Did they really discontinue making #1's? It' the best gun Ruger ever made.
    Hard times create strong men, strong men create good times, good times create weak men, and weak men create hard times.

Boolit Master
    I sure like the pic on the "new products" page for them, regardless..

Source: https://ruger.com/micros/newProducts/?r=y
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Many years ago, I deeply coveted a #1 in .243. I got it for the princely sum of about $625. It got used for two deer seasons and I got over it. No wantee no mo.
    To paraphrase Ronald Reagan, the trouble with many shooting experts is not that they're ignorant; its just that they know so much that isn't so.

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    They're still making No. 1's. Usually about 5 calibers a year. Still waiting to see the 30-30 this year. It hasn't shown up anywhere yet, except at the SHOT show.
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by rockrat View Post
    Fishman, I have one just like yours, with FTF issues. Compared breechblock with one from another rifle and it looked like what I thought was a hole mis-drilled. Sent the gun back at my cost with a letter of explanation of what I believed was wrong (other breechblock from another rifle worked every time) hoping they would replace the breechblock. Got it back saying nothing was wrong.
    It did go from FTF about 2 out of 3 to FTF every 1 out of 3. Guess that was a big improvement by their books!!!!
    That’s essentially what happened on my first return almost exactly, except they did work on the breechblock and put on a different buttstock. The second time they fixed the ftf but declined to fit the buttstock at all or tell me why they changed it.
    "Is all this REALLY necessary?"

Boolit Mold
    I’ve always wanted a #1. I ended up going down the economical path and just picked up a T/C Encore instead.

Boolit Master
    I like the Ruger #1 but not in .22 rim fire. I do have one I traded for several years ago. It has a Canjur set trigger and was chambered for some weird short 30-30 with 1-15 twist. I never could make it shoot. The bullets entered the target sideways. I bought a Winchester heavy target barrel in .308, cut off the chamber,rethreaded it for the Ruger and chambered it to 30-30. While it shoots very well I don't take it to the range very often. I have several other single shot rifles in larger calibers that I prefer shooting. When I hit that gong I want it to move with a loud clang. I do have other heavy barrel rim fires that I shoot if I get the urge.
    A GUN THAT'S COCKED AND UNLOADED AIN'T GOOD FOR NUTHIN'........... ROOSTER COGBURN

Boolit Buddy
    I like the Ruger #1, but I just can't justify $1400.00 for a single shot rifle. I always wondered why they were so expensive.

Boolit Buddy

I've been shooting and collecting Ruger #1s for years. I took the plunge on the Ruger 1A 6.5 creedmoor to add to the collection and am still waiting for it to show up from Lipseys. Sure wished the prices weren't so darn high.

Boolit Master
    I've always thought they should scale down the #1 maybe to 3/4 scale and offer it like an English rook rifle in 38/357, 32-20, 22LR and such. But that's just me.

Boolit Master
    AND ME!!!!! Here I thought I was the only one who thought that way. Make me one in 22lr with a switch barrel in 32SWL, as long as we're fantasizing
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Boolit Grand Master

Id like to see a ruger Number 1 1/2 scale in 22 lr and the other rim fire cartridges. Sort of in line with the old butcher / boys rifles of days past. A nice light little rifle for walking the fields and woods with.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RPRNY View Post
    Indeed. I have a No. 3 in 30-40 that came to me for about $500 and I am very happy with it. But I just can't get there with the No 1, being of a frugal nature. I did however just by a Savage 340 to shoot pointy 30-30 bullets out of. Like the ugly, fat sidekick to a Ruger No.1 of course, but at $230 bucks I'll get over the homeliness.
    I agree completely. Had a couple of #1's and didn't really care for them. Just looked at their website.....450 Bushmaster for $1899....the lowly CVA Hunter in 450 BM for less than $250 looks better and better!!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast