Snyders JerkyLoad DataRepackboxInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Reloading Everything Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: HEADS UP! Ruger No. 1 rifles for 2018.

Boolit Buddy

HEADS UP! Ruger No. 1 rifles for 2018.

Check the Ruger website - new No. 1 listings include a stainless .30-30 with walnut stocks.

Not really a 30-30 guy.....................Love the Ruger Number 1 though.
    "Everyone has a plan, until they get punched in the face!" - Mike Tyson

"Don't let my fears become yours." - Me, talking to my children

That look on your face, when you shift into 6th gear, but it's not there.

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    Yeah, it's sweet. My Lipsey's dealer said he has to get $1400 for it though. I really really want one....... but .....
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

Banned
    If you want a GOOD No. 1 (not the currently made stuff) this is the guy.

http://www.classicsportingarms.com/r...fles-for-sale/

In Remembrance

As much as I like the No. 1, I cannot feature it in .30-30. Besides, being retired my pension has other places where $1400 could be more needy.Robert

Boolit Master
    Interesting comments and our different perspectives. I see the NO1 as perfect for the 3030 or maybe 7.62x51R , but then I'm hung up on wanting it blued. Sounds like an awesome c asthma rifle anyhow! Glad they're keeping the rifle active.
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Banned
    NJ (but usually somewhere east of the east coast)

The Ruger #1 has gotten to a point where many of the special runs are aimed at Ruger #1 collectors, so that appears to be the case with this SS .30-30 rifle. It wont likely be purchased by a person just wanting a good .30-30, or a Ruger #1. It will be purchased by a collector of Ruger #1's to add to his collection.

Boolit Master
    Squeeze, dang it! Now I NEED that 22, resistance.......is futile.
    Wonder what a kidney brings, bet that 22 is q400$ too
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Boolit Buddy

Wow! Squeeze - I had no idea a .22LR No. 1 was in the works. There goes my bank account! Bill

Boolit Master
    Ha I once owned an impressive collection of Ruger #1 and seeing my priorities were messed up that collection was sold to finance our first house. Now that I am debt free I have no desire to limit myself to a collection of firearms but buy them to enjoy and shoot. But I still have a warm spot in my heart for the Ruger #1. I remember shooting the 218 Bee and 22 Hornet I had, then run some ammo through the 416 Rigby YIKES

Boolit Master

I bought a new #1 a couple years back. It was returned twice to Ruger for FTF. The first visit also resulted in them changing the buttstock for some reason as a “courtesy”. I guess it must have gotten damaged in shipping since there were also dings in the forend. However, no obvious attempt was made to fit it and Ruger declined to do anything about even after I called a supervisor and politely but firmly told him I was very dissatisfied. I have read many stories of good service by Ruger, but my one experience was anything but. None of my older #1’s have had any issues mechanically or otherwise.
    "Is all this REALLY necessary?"

Boolit Master
    Factory #1 in 22 LR , Now that figures.
    Couple years ago I had the "I want's" for a 22 LR #1. Of course, this was at the height of the rim fire shortage.
    Ended up having Goodsteel re-barrel and re-work the action on a 22-250 that I had no use for into a 22 Hornet. Loaded to subsonic , I have a "reloadable 22 LR".
    Cogno, Ergo, Boom

If you're gonna be stupid, don't pull up short. Saddle up and ride it all the way in.

Boolit Man
    There is no number one in 22 Long rifle. That was a typo and a big mistake by them. Unfortunately.....

Boolit Grand Master
    Fishman, I have one just like yours, with FTF issues. Compared breechblock with one from another rifle and it looked like what I thought was a hole mis-drilled. Sent the gun back at my cost with a letter of explanation of what I believed was wrong (other breechblock from another rifle worked every time) hoping they would replace the breechblock. Got it back saying nothing was wrong.
    It did go from FTF about 2 out of 3 to FTF every 1 out of 3. Guess that was a big improvement by their books!!!!

I like #1 Rugers, but not interested in new ones and not a 30/30. I have #3s in calibres I would
    not full with except I have to to be legal in Ohio rifle deer season. 38cal min, straight cased is the
    law. I like 30/30 too, but would rather carry one of my lever guns. If Ohio legalizes 30/30s I will
    have 45/70-375W-44mg in the trade pile. If Ruger made a run of plain jane #1s they could retail
    for $1K, in Ohio legal calibres they wood sell a few. The Rugers out shoot levers in the LV cartridges. I expect their 30/30 to be a tack driver compared to Lever guns.

Boolit Grand Master

I saw one Number 1 in 22 long rifle years ago. There was a gunsmith that specialized in this modification. The block link was modified to lower firing pin to hit the rim at 6:00 and the disconnector altered. Extractor was also altered.Yyou had your choice of a barrel liner or new barrel. Was a good looking conversion but was expensive to have done

I like the Ruger No 1 on paper, but I've never felt they were worth their price.

If one came along in .30-'06 for a nice price I'd buy it to have rebored or rebarrelled to 35 whelen. I'm not paying a crazy 1400 for a new one in Whelen.

Boolit Master

I made a Ruger into a 22 LR many years back. I put the chamber at 12 o-clock so the firing pin would hit the rim and extended the extractor. Also had to install a low front sight to compensate.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by curioushooter View Post
    I like the Ruger No 1 on paper, but I've never felt they were worth their price.
    Indeed. I have a No. 3 in 30-40 that came to me for about $500 and I am very happy with it. But I just can't get there with the No 1, being of a frugal nature. I did however just by a Savage 340 to shoot pointy 30-30 bullets out of. Like the ugly, fat sidekick to a Ruger No.1 of course, but at $230 bucks I'll get over the homeliness.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast