WidenersLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
RepackboxInline FabricationSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
Lee Precision RotoMetals2

Thread: powder coating

Boolit Mold

powder coating

can i use range lead for powder coating 223 30-30 30-06 7.62x54r? and i will be using a gas checks also?

Boolit Master

Too many variables for a 'hard' answer.

Composition of your range lead? If it's from an indoor range that doesn't allow lead boolits or handloads, it's doing to be very soft...like near PB. If from an outdoor (or an indoor that allows cast boolits/handloads), it's going to be a harder alloy. My 'range lead' comes from an outdoor club range used mostly by reloaders who shoot a lot of CBs and, after smelt and flux, tests 9-10 Bhn.

What velocities will you be loading for? My 'pistol' alloy is 3 parts, range scrap to 1 part COWW plus 2% tin and, powder-coated, I load to around 1200 fps (without GCs) and have no leading/fouling issues but going any faster than that, I go to a harder alloy (like Lyman #2) with GCs. I don't try to duplicate factory-load velocities but all my CF rifle loads are in the 1950-2150 fps range.

Depth of barrel throat and condition of bore can also enter into the equation. Rifles with tight or short throats...like Swiss K31s...may not lend themselves to PC with some boolit designs. I've got a Savage 10FPC in .308 that won't chamber PC'd bore-rider boolit designs without seating with the GCs well below the case neck. (I've already ordered die and bushings to size boolit nose to fit bore.)

Bill
    Last edited by Kraschenbirn; 02-12-2018 at 03:54 PM.
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

Boolit Master

Really depends on how hard you want to push them, with range scrap you probably won't be able to push them very hard and have accuracy.

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Range Pb is unknown. The cal’s you listed need HARDER Pb than pistols. PC’ing only elimiates grease....not elimiating GC’s. GC’s are needed IF the velicity you are seeking requres them, PC or not. Rely on the load data books.

I generally shoot cast PC’d at no more than ~1800FPS. Only commercial FMJ’s at full rifle loads, especailly that 06!!!!!!!!!

I cast, coat, and shoot at least 15Bhn (and highter) + PC + GC’s in those cals you list. Your range scrap will be much lower than that normally. That is where you need hardball and similar high Sb alloys to mix with your softer range stuff. That is why everyone needs a good hardness tester.

Also download the free alloy calc on here.

Good luck on you quest.

Quote Originally Posted by Billyspetz View Post
    can i use range lead for powder coating 223 30-30 30-06 7.62x54r? and i will be using a gas checks also?
    I do and have great results, pistol rounds as well as rifle rounds, IT JUST WORKS!