RepackboxPBcastcoRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Load Data Wideners
Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213

Thread: Guessing Game- Everyone is Invited

Boolit Master
    Thanks, Lightman! This was fun watching all the responses. PM coming atcha.
    It ain't rocket science, it's boolit science.

Thanks a lot guys for this fun game and the prize will go to good use!

Here is how I calculated my answer:

Given:
    pallet width of 48"
    pyramid height of 22"
    The digital picture

Find:
    How many ingots

Solution:
    Using my reloading calipers, I measured the height of the pyramid on the screen. This allowed me to estimate the size of the ingots. I estimated the size of one ingot to be 3.1584 in^3. Then I took a swag at the stacking factor and estimated the volume one ingot takes up when stacked to be 5 in ^3.

I estimated the volume of the pyramid to be 14842.67 in^3

Then divided 5 into 14842.67 and got 2968.534 ingots. It looks like I was a little off on a few of my estimates and I should have rounded up to 2969 for a tie with Sundog.

Thanks again for the fun puzzle.

David Jones
    The road less traveled ain't for the faint of heart

Boolit Grand Master

Oh Yeah, Your math had a big flaw! You was way Off! I mean, you was off 2 whole ingots!

Really, it was a great guess! Your method was interesting and I only ask out of idle curiosity. The ingots were cast from 9 different Lyman and Lyman style molds. Each had a nominal weight of 1 pound but they were not poured exactly. And they were just tossed onto the plywood to form a pyramid. Any that fell off were tossed back on. Strictly random.

But, it was a fun game! Biggin and I Thank everyone for playing. Everybody else is welcome to share your method too!

Boolit Master
    My estimate was done thusly: divide the pyramid into layers and made an estimate (by looking at the pic) of what was on the bottom layer and went up to the stack height reducing the layer count to zero, added the layer counts, and that was it. Scientific, mathematical, SWAG!

The lucky guess was more than likely the starting number on the bottom layer.

Boolit Master

"some of you did it mathematically."
    That describes me. I counted the ingots on one side, cubed it and divided by two. Got me just a little light.
    Micah 6:8
    He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?

"I don't have hobbies - I'm developing a robust post-apocalyptic skill set"
    I may be discharged and retired but I'm sure I did not renounce the oath that I solemnly swore!

I am going to have to go over my math and find out why I missed it by only 30 ingots but that is one nice pile of lead you have there happy casting you will not run out for a while D Crockett

Boolit Master
    Hi Lightman.Thanks for a neat guessing game.Now,you need a wrist brace for when you start casting those sweet silver slugs.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo
    People never lie so much as after a hunt,during a war,or before an election.
    Otto von Bismarck

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks y'all!!

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by woodbutcher View Post
    Hi Lightman.Thanks for a neat guessing game.Now,you need a wrist brace for when you start casting those sweet silver slugs.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo
    Your Welcome, everyone seemed to enjoy it! My wrist did get tired of handling those ingot molds! I've smelted lead for years but this was the largest amount that I have done at once. Biggin and another buddy ran the ladle while I dumped the molds. I guess I dumped every mold full that we did. I used a pair of channel lock pliers to grasp the tab on the ingot mold and my wrist would begin to tire out at around the 1000# mark each day. We ran 9 molds and that had them pretty spread out. I can't stand or stoop for long periods of time so I sit on a stool to do this. It would have been easier if we had a pair of vice grips for each mold. Someone that can stand for that long would have had less fatigue too. I really grew to appreciate the one Lee mold that we used with its built in handle.

Casting does not tire me out as much. I don't use anything bigger than a 4 cavity mold so the weight is not too bad. Really looking forward to using some of this!

Moderator Emeritus

Maybe bolt an angle iron handle onto each mold with a wood block in it to provide grip area and cooler handling?

Boolit Grand Master

Sundog and Djones, your packages are in the mail! I think the Post Office Lady hates me! Hope you make lots of good boolits!

Boolit Master

East Arkansas where I55 & I40 come together and then split
    My wag came from your estimate of how much you posted of your estimated weight and divided by 2, I missed it by a bit over 100.

The lady that delivers our mail doesn't like it when I order lead from some one. She usually has the box in one of those plastic mail totes and backs
    her van as close to the porch as she can get and gets to the front door. I have to remind her that the USPS made the rules on a flat rate box.

Moderator Emeritus

I brew beer and malted barley comes in 50pound sacks, UPS and USPS hate me LOL

Boolit Grand Master

I do several little things to help my mailman when large or heavy packages are ordered. I have a heavy garden wagon ( like the kids wagons only heavier), I put this out for him to use he rolls it to the truck unloads onto it and rolls it up the ramp. On a couple of our chats he told me his son shoots muzzle loaders. So instead of a gift card or other oddity He gets a couple hundred .490 round balls for his son. LOL. Makes the heavy packages a little lighter for him.

Banned
    lightman,

yours, tex

Boolit Master
    Lightman, package arrived safe today in the pouring rain. Methinks some Lee 45-230-TC TL (with Smoke's Clear PC) are in order for Cowboy 45 Spl loading (nice, shiny, new Starline brass). I like that boolit for 45 Colt/Spl and 45 AR, because it takes a nice light roll crimp just behind the forward driving band in the micro grease groove. Whatever goes into my own berm will be recycled many times.

Thank you, yet again!

Boolit Grand Master

I hope you enjoy shooting them! Thanks for letting me know they arrived and for playing. Its raining here too and we've been under a flash flood warning for a few days.

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213