Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingInline FabricationLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyRepackboxReloading Everything
RotoMetals2 Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 45 ACP Black Powder revolver

Boolit Mold

Cool 45 ACP Black Powder revolver

Hi everibody, I've been loading 45 colt with BP for my Uberti El Patron now for the past two years and loving it. Recently I've got my hands on the conversion 45 ACP cylinder from VTI for the same gun. What I am about to ask may sound stupid but since I consider myself still new to the game, I rather ask you guys for advice than blow myself up. I've been using 28-30-35 gr of 3f GOEX under 250 gr RFNP Cowboy #1, from Missouri Bullets Company. How would I transfer those loads and apply them to a 45 ACP case, using 200 and 230 gr RFNP. Got those bullet at a ridiculous price....and I like the shape of them!! I do not shoot competition nor hunting with them just fun at the range with my son. But when I try to do a search for reloading data, I only come across smokeless powder numbers for 1911 type gun, it is a 45 ACP after all. Those loads have me concerned about the pressures they generate, exceeding those of the Uberti revolver and they are definitely not for BP; any help on the matter is highly appreciated. I would like to stick with BP or sub, smokeless would be last resort!

Boolit Master

Hickock45 of YouTube fame, loaded and shot 45acp loaded with BP from his Glock. Granted, he had to use 4f and it really fouled the piece, but it fired. 3f did not cycle the Glock. Lots of smoke from a full mag, fun to watch!
    Common sense Gun Safety . . .

Is taught at the Range!

Boolit Buddy
    Just load so that the bullet slightly compresses the black powder in the case when seated. and go from there.

I also have a .45acp cylinder for a Beretta Stampede (made by the same company). I have not thought to load BP in a .45acp case because of the lack of volume (a problem the .45 Colt does not have); so, I'm interested in your results. (To my knowledge, the .45acp was originally designed as a "smokeless" powder cartridge, thus I have not seen any published data for loading it with BP.) I currently load smokeless powder "starting loads" for the regular .45acp load data (NO +P data is used!) combined with 230RN and 200gr cast bullets with very satisfactory results in my "clone" and have never experienced a problem other than an occasional misfire caused by a case driven further into the cylinder due to improper "sizing". (Since the acp is "rimless", case length is more "critical" in a cylinder vice an auto loader chamber.) The conversion cylinder has a bit more steel between the cylinders than the .45Colt cylinder, so I think you wouldn't be able to overload it with black powder. Best of luck!

Boolit Grand Master

The 45 acp won't hold enough black to do more than make an anemic poofter load. If you compress the powder slightly you will get in 21 grain of FFFg at most more likely 17-18 grains. This will just about duplicate the old Webley load for the RIC. That round clocked at about 500 fps and made less than 700 fps. The only one I shot you could SEE the bullet flying through the air if the light was right.

Friend and I made some .45 ACP some years ago. As I remember, we got 20 or 21 grains of 3Fg under a 225 grain bullet. Not real powerful but the gun worked, Colt 1911. We put some able coompression on the powder with a compression die. If BP and a 1911 or .45 ACP revolver were all I had, I would be in business and some one (enemy) would get badly hurt.
    To paraphrase Ronald Reagan, the trouble with many shooting experts is not that they're ignorant; its just that they know so much that isn't so.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    As FYI, I have one of the Walt Kirst .45 ACP conversion cylinders for my Ruger Old Army and I use ordinary .45 ACP smokeless loads in it with cowboy bullets. While I have shot full charge loads in my Ruger, in revolvers meant for "Cowboy" charges, I would use light smokeless loads which approximate the velocity and pressure of the .455 Webley or .45 ACP target "wadcutter" loads.

A charge of 3.5 grains of Bullseye is suitable for heavier bullets from 240-270 grains, and with bullets from 185-230 grains you can load 4 grains of Bullseye with no pressure concerns, as none of these will exceed 14,000 psi.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Mold
    Well gentleman, I thank all of you for the reply, it has been very informative! I should be getting my bullets soon. I'll keep you posted.
    Thanks again.

Boolit Grand Master

Lucio, you are not gonna hurt that revolver with a case full of Black of any persuasion. The rule for loading BP is a case full and no air space. Goex wants a little more compression that Swiss, but compress what you can and you will not get more powder in the case than the revolver will handle.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Smith View Post
    Lucio, you are not gonna hurt that revolver with a case full of Black of any persuasion. The rule for loading BP is a case full and no air space. Goex wants a little more compression that Swiss, but compress what you can and you will not get more powder in the case than the revolver will handle.
    Thanks Wayne, my mind was wandering that way all along. It's just nice to have some validation.

You don't shoot Black Powder much, have you? If you put in enough BP, 22 - 23 grains, in a .45 ACP case and compress it into a solid pellet, seat a 230 grain lead bullet, and touch it off with a Magnum Large Pistol Primer you will duplicate a .44 Russian round. If you think it's an anemic poofter round, I challenge you to stand in front of me while I shoot you.
    Listen! Do you hear it. The roar of cannons, the screams of the dying! Ahh! Music to my ears!

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    You don't shoot Black Powder much, have you? If you put in enough BP, 22 - 23 grains, in a .45 ACP case and compress it into a solid pellet, seat a 230 grain lead bullet, and touch it off with a Magnum Large Pistol Primer you will duplicate a .44 Russian round. If you think it's an anemic poofter round, I challenge you to stand in front of me while I shoot you.
    True, but a 44Russian round isn't gonna hurt his El Patron either. I shoot my Cattlemen 44-40 with 37gr FFG compressed and a 200gr big lube boolit - way more than he'll ever get into a 45ACP case. No, far from anemic, 850fps out of a 7.5" barrel isn't anemic.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by kaiser View Post
    I also have a .45acp cylinder for a Beretta Stampede (made by the same company). I have not thought to load BP in a .45acp case because of the lack of volume (a problem the .45 Colt does not have); so, I'm interested in your results. (To my knowledge, the .45acp was originally designed as a "smokeless" powder cartridge, thus I have not seen any published data for loading it with BP.) I currently load smokeless powder "starting loads" for the regular .45acp load data (NO +P data is used!) combined with 230RN and 200gr cast bullets with very satisfactory results in my "clone" and have never experienced a problem other than an occasional misfire caused by a case driven further into the cylinder due to improper "sizing". (Since the acp is "rimless", case length is more "critical" in a cylinder vice an auto loader chamber.) The conversion cylinder has a bit more steel between the cylinders than the .45Colt cylinder, so I think you wouldn't be able to overload it with black powder. Best of luck!
    I should be getting those bullets soon! I've never experimented with anything but regular 45 Colt. I'll definitely let you know.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by KCSO View Post
    The 45 acp won't hold enough black to do more than make an anemic poofter load. If you compress the powder slightly you will get in 21 grain of FFFg at most more likely 17-18 grains. This will just about duplicate the old Webley load for the RIC. That round clocked at about 500 fps and made less than 700 fps. The only one I shot you could SEE the bullet flying through the air if the light was right.
    So far the only time I've seen bullets flying out of the gun was in the Matrix movie! LOL, jokes apart, I just want to get it under my belt so that I can comfortably load it. It's just another load to learn.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Cash View Post
    Friend and I made some .45 ACP some years ago. As I remember, we got 20 or 21 grains of 3Fg under a 225 grain bullet. Not real powerful but the gun worked, Colt 1911. We put some able coompression on the powder with a compression die. If BP and a 1911 or .45 ACP revolver were all I had, I would be in business and some one (enemy) would get badly hurt.
    Thanks Dan! That's what I thought!

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post
    As FYI, I have one of the Walt Kirst .45 ACP conversion cylinders for my Ruger Old Army and I use ordinary .45 ACP smokeless loads in it with cowboy bullets. While I have shot full charge loads in my Ruger, in revolvers meant for "Cowboy" charges, I would use light smokeless loads which approximate the velocity and pressure of the .455 Webley or .45 ACP target "wadcutter" loads.

A charge of 3.5 grains of Bullseye is suitable for heavier bullets from 240-270 grains, and with bullets from 185-230 grains you can load 4 grains of Bullseye with no pressure concerns, as none of these will exceed 14,000 psi.
    Thanks Outpost75, once the BP runs dry I'll have to venture in smokeless territory and start a new adventure!! I'll pick your brain for more loads!

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by fcvan View Post
    Hickock45 of YouTube fame, loaded and shot 45acp loaded with BP from his Glock. Granted, he had to use 4f and it really fouled the piece, but it fired. 3f did not cycle the Glock. Lots of smoke from a full mag, fun to watch!
    I've seen that one and many others from Hickock45, I like what he does.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBore45 View Post
    Just load so that the bullet slightly compresses the black powder in the case when seated. and go from there.
    I've done that too on the 45 colt, just didn't know for the combination of short case and cast bullet.

Years ago, I chronographed a couple of BP rounds through my S&W M1917 revolver. According to my notes, 16.0 grains of Goex 3Fg with the LEE .45/230-TC slug (cartridge OAL 1.24 inches) achieved 740 fps.
    Last edited by ofitg; 01-27-2018 at 03:56 PM.
    "Commerce with all nations, alliance with none, should be our motto."

- Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by ofitg View Post
    Years ago, I chronographed a couple of BP rounds through my S&W M1917 revolver. According to my notes, 16.0 grains of Goex 3Fg with the LEE .45/230-TC slug (cartridge OAL 1.24 inches) achieved 740 fps.
    Thank you Ofitg, I'll put this one on my book as well! It is amazing, if you stop for a second and think about it, the amount of knowledge you guys have to offer!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast