Inline FabricationLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
RotoMetals2WidenersLoad DataRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: 6.5 Creedmore, Ruger Predator, SAvage Axis?

6.5 Creedmore, Ruger Predator, SAvage Axis?

Been looking at a 6.5 Creedmore for deer hunting. At one time I thought a 6.5X55 would have been great in a more modern rifle as I had one of the old carbines. Don't see much difference in power, but I have seen a lot of deer shot with a 6.5X55.
    As I would not shoot it a lot I am not looking at something real fancy but have heard good things about the Savage Axis, and see some now with the Accu Trigger. Also see one I kind of like in the Ruger American Predator, although the green stock is pretty ugly in my opinion. Went through the archives here and did not see much about the Predator either. Curious about the rifles.

DP

Boolit Bub
    Have you looked at the T/C Compass? I recently bought one, and it's been a very accurate rifle so far.

ive been debating one of these, wih the tc rebate it was under 200 !! tho it seems the rebate has ended. the gun has a lot of positive press, but ive never held one in real life so take this all with a grain of salt
    T/C compass
    https://www.kygunco.com/Product/View?ItemNo=111667

LGS I deal with has the two I am looking at.

Quote Originally Posted by northmn View Post
    LGS I deal with has the two I am looking at.
    always good to support the local shop

Boolit Master
    If you ever get into the swap barrel affliction (it is a disease of it's own!), the Axis platform uses the same small shank Savage barrels that the standard 10-16/110-116 series do.

What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
    - Henry S. Haskins in “Meditations in Wall Street”

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rapidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end." ...Unknown

Boolit Master
    I'm a gloss blue and nice walnut kind of guy, but I picked up one of the TC Compass rifles during the rebate (still waiting) and have to say I'm impressed with it. There are a couple of no cost things they could have done to make it a more attractive rifle, but it shoots like a house afire!

I enjoy my Ruger 'Merican Predator in 6.5CM; shoots 1 MOA at 300yds with two of my handloads. Trigger is excellent and can easily be modified to be even better. I actually like the green stock!
    I have three complaints:
    1. Rotary Magazines are expensive.
    2. Forestock flexes to some degree, so I have to be mindful of that as I shoot, and
    3. I had expected better than 1 MOA accuracy, but perhaps thus was unrealistic for a $400 rifle. However, I also have the Predator in 223 Rem and it shoots sub MOA with many different loads, so that's why I thought my 6.5CM would shoot better. I do have a bias towards Ruger, but you won't go wrong with the Savage.

The Ruger is the prettiest of the sugly blisters mentioned IMO.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

I have the Ruger in the 6.5 CM and feel much the same as sparkyv about it and I was surprised and pleased with the accuracy another complaint that I have is when a round is chambered and the rifle is put on safety the bolt is not locked in the loaded position and walking around in heavy brushy woods it very easy to kick the bolt open and it will slide back very easy, too easy. I don't know how the other rifles operate with the safety and bolt will they lock in the loaded and safe position I would certainly check the out for my self if I were to buy again. I will keep the Ruger as it just shoots too well with a variety of loads even with the ugly plastic stock, plastic magazine, and the unlocked bolt. I bought it as a cheap throw behind the seat truck gun that could do duty as a deer, pig, varmint killer and it certainly does that!

RB

Boolit Bub
    I've got an Axis in 30-06 and 6.5 creedmoor, and a Ruger Am Ranch in 556. Sadly I haven't had a chance to shoot the 6.5 yet, but the 06 is a MOA gun with factory deer loads and easily .5 MOA with hand loads. The trigger on the Ruger and the Accutrigger are about the same, in my opinion. The American has better stock than the Axis, but they're both ****. I epoxied an old carbon arrow into the Ruger to stiffen it up and threw a Boyds on the Axis.

Pros for each:

Savage:
    cheaper (w/rebate paid about $250 for rifle w/ weaver scope)
    has option for heavy barrel
    abundant and easy to switch barrels

Ruger:
    Smoother bolt--the floating bolt head on the axis leaves A LOT of slop. Doesn't affect accuracy but feels cheap.
    Factory threaded barrel is nice if you're planning on using a muzzle device/silencer

Either rifle will shoot exceptionally well for the price and the biggest issue with both, the stock, is easy to fix or just replace.

Boolit Master

I have the Savage Axis II in .270 Winchester and the Savage Hunter in .260 Rem. Great riffles. The .270 i can make shoot anything accurately. The .260 Remington I am working on making it shoot cast. The savage Hunter is growing on me, its heavier than the Axis and absorbs recoil better. The stock on the axis feels flimsy, but the gun is highly accurate.
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

Boolit Master

While I’m not a fan of these new rifles, I have read quite a few good reports on the Mossberg Patriot series. It has a lot of the Savage features and even has a very nice wood stock available. Not sure what your goals or budget requirements are, but like you I’m a big fan of your 6.5x55 and don’t see any big gain in going to the 6.5 CM.

You may consider looking for an older traditional rifle in the Swedish round. Understand... that’s my opinion and may not suit your needs.
    Shoot Safe,
    Mike

Retired Telephone Man
    NRA Endowment Member
    Marion Road Gun Club
    ( www.marionroad.com )

+1 for the Axis. Bought one for my son and it was sub-MOA out of the box with the first loads I built for it. Kinda boring, actually.....it seems to shoot as well, or maybe better than I can, so load 'workup' was a bit anticlimactic. Where's the fun in that????????
    "Do not follow where the path might lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail" Ralph Waldo Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Grinch View Post
    While I’m not a fan of these new rifles, I have read quite a few good reports on the Mossberg Patriot series. It has a lot of the Savage features and even has a very nice wood stock available. Not sure what your goals or budget requirements are, but like you I’m a big fan of your 6.5x55 and don’t see any big gain in going to the 6.5 CM.

You may consider looking for an older traditional rifle in the Swedish round. Understand... that’s my opinion and may not suit your needs.
    Actually the gain in using the 6.5 Creedmoor is the cost of factory ammo compared to the Swede and the fact that I can get it in less expensive like the Ruger, Savage or other models. I do not consider the performance to be superior in any way. While one can recite ballistic tables and reloading data, there is nothing that I would shoot with a 6.5 Creedmoor that I would not shoot with a 6.5 Swede or a 260. According to some sources the 6.5 Swede has been used successfully on moose in Sweden and I have seen a lot of deer taken with one by a hunting partner. Just interested in the Creedmoor because of availability.

DEP

Boolit Grand Master

I have the Ruger Predator in 6.5CM. Had to relieve the stock at the right side of the fore-end as it would rub on the barrel when fired. Accuracy is very good with most factory loads I have shot with the Hornady ammo usually under 1 moa. My handloads with the Hornady 140gr ELD bullets loaded too long to work thru the magazine will group less than .5 moa. Pain to try to load them in the chamber as the port is small.
    My son has an Axis which shoots good but I like the Ruger better. The Predator has a heavier barrel which is threaded with a cap on it.