RepackboxInline FabricationWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load DataRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Reloading Everything

Thread: Daughter getting a 6.5 creedmoor

Daughter getting a 6.5 creedmoor

Just ordered a savage in 6.5 creedmoor for the daughter and I. We have both been intrigued with this round. Hoping it’s here by the weekend. Gonna through an old redfield scope on it Ive had on my bench for months. They said they’d mount and bore sight it for free, never bore sighted a gun before. Always went through the 25 yard steps. Now need to find some Dies, extra brass and bullets. Got a couple molds to try also but we want to start with some jacketed stuff.

Boolit Master
    Awesome! A lot of folks love them. Start looking for powders, I hear they can be elusive for the 6.5 C.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Keep us posted on how it does for you. I ordered a 6.5 Creed barrel 6 weeks ago so I have about 4-6 weeks before I get it. I did order some Starline small primer brass just to look at, it does look nice. I'm going to order some from Peterson to look at. I don't have a single thing to load 6.5 anything so I'll have to start from scratch. Last couple of weeks most places were out of 6.5 Creed dies. I think we are going to continue to see this one gain in popularity along with the 6 Creedmoor.

In Remembrance

LEE de luxe die set, CCI 250s, Ramshot 'Hunter', Hornady 129 gr. SST...........don't look back.
    Last edited by HABCAN; 02-11-2018 at 06:41 PM. Reason: Corrected bullet weight.
    Life Member NRA.
    Member: RWVA.http://www.appleseedinfo.org/smf/
    Member: WRSA http://westernrifleshooters.blogspot.com/
    Founder: Guns of the Golden West (Show group).
    Founder: Nosehills Gun Club.
    Founder: IPSC in Alberta.
    Retired from Instructing, and just about everything else!

Boolit Bub
    If you are in need of a set of dies and can’t find any let me know. I have bullets and brass too if you can’t find any.

Boolit Master

THE powder for 6.5 CM is H4350, others work for some things, H4350 works for everything. I'm really enjoying mine, custom barrel 24" factory heavy contour on my Encore.

Quote Originally Posted by Moonie View Post
    THE powder for 6.5 CM is H4350, others work for some things, H4350 works for everything. I'm really enjoying mine, custom barrel 24" factory heavy contour on my Encore.

Haven’t researched it yet but I have that powder, so that’s good. Don’t really want another unless I have to.

Quote Originally Posted by Moonie View Post
    THE powder for 6.5 CM is H4350, others work for some things, H4350 works for everything.

YES, and believe it or not, VARGET works very well for me. I can't hardly find H4350 in my area. RL17 also works OK. 143gr Hdy ELD-X tops 'em all in my Ruger 'Merican Rifle.

Forgot to tell you my favorite way of obtaining brass for the 6.5CM...Honady sells a couple of ammo lines such as the Black and the Whitetail for about $0.85/round. Good ammo to break in the rifle, and now you have brass to roll your own.

Boolit Grand Master
    Its a very good cartridge
    everything from varmints to deer for me
    others claim enough for elk but I am not sure
    I shoot a custom barrel as well for my encore
    forget which powder I use I think its H414/w760
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Boolit Grand Master

I have a Ruger American Predator and it shoots great. I bought Hornady and Winchester ammo to start with. The Winchester match ammo sucks, not very accurate. Hornady ammo is good so I also bought some empty brass. There is a wide spread in the weight of the brass so not real happy with Hornady.
    I changed primer from CCI 200 to the CCI BR and cut group sizes down to under .4" at 100 yards.
    The 6.5 CM is in the same class as the 6.5X55 Swed and the 260 Rem.

Boolit Master

I've built a 6.5 Creed on a Yugo 48 Mauser action using a Green mountain barrel and a PTG reamer (the reamer gave me short (match) throat in case you decide to go that way) and its a sweet round. Its grandfather is the 250 Savage cartridge but over the next generation of design, it basically got Ackley Improved with a straighter case profile and altered shoulder angle which gave it a better cartridge neck in consequence.

The slower powders that are recommended for the cartridge and jacketed bullets form a great powder column and nearly 90-100% capacity in the cartridge leaving the neck open to seat the bullet without compressing the loads.

I like using IMR4895 on my 6.5 Creed loads and with bullet weights upto 120gr. If I want to shoot a 140gr bullet, I have a 6.5x55 Swede mauser for that heavier bullet although there are great 140gr loads developed for this cartridge already.
    I Cast my Boolits, Therefore I am Happy.
    Bona Fide member of the Jeff Brown Hunt Club

Boolit Grand Master
    I mainly shoot 95vmax and 100gr amax bullets thru my 6.5cm. Varget powder and match primers gave me 0.28" and 0.33" groups @100 with the 95's and 100's respectively

Creedmoor came home today. Scope mount is a bit of a problem but found one local. Need to go bite the bullet on that. Still need to find a set of Dies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Wish list. Things my daughter and I are looking for.

Ideal and Lyman HP pins
    Kimber micro 9 mags
    Star die removal tool, 430 die & TP.
    Cocking stud and ejector Stevens 15a

Boolit Grand Master
    bought a set of Redding dies
    great dies would recommend those
    I shoot mostly 130gr Sierras and 143gr Hornady ELD-X
    did buy some 120 gr for coyote but haven't got a load for it
    try Laupa brass or is it Norma well either one will be better than
    run of the mill stuff as far as consistency
    Hit em'hard