Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingInline FabricationWideners
RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Repackbox Load Data

Thread: 327 federal magnum load data

Boolit Buddy

327 federal magnum load data

as ive mentioned in other posts I in the past owned 2 327 fed mag revolvers then decided to sell them off ,regretted it and bought back into this caliber with a new ruger factory demo single seven . i mostly shoot a lee .314 90 gr swc bullet and used to load it over 4227 i cant remember the exact charge, i also had good luck with 700x . well i no longer own any 4227 i have an unopened 4 lber of 700x here but I'm trying to use up some of the powders i have already open before i break it out . i was wondering if anyone has had any luck with the dot powders such as red or green don't with this caliber ? there still isn't a whole lot of data out there for this caliber and found nothing online with either of these 2 powders . i even tried hodgdons web sight hoping there would be data for there red or green i could use as a reference and nothing . so i kinda went out on a limb and loaded 50 rounds up last night using data for clays but i substituted red dot and stuck with min charge of 3.5 gr till i get to shoot them then i'll work from there . i was thinking of loading more using 700x data for green dot powder but i didn't try that yet . i loaded up 50 rounds with pb,50 with titegroup and 50 with red dot to go try out when i get a chance .

Boolit Master
    My plinkin' load in the sp101 is 4 grains Red Dot pushing a 117 grain Ranch Dog 32/20 boolit. For sure you'd be OK with this powder charge and the lighter 90 grain boolit. Green Dot would want just a scosh more for the equivalent velocity -- like 4.2 grains maybe. This is just under 1000 fps in my pistola. QuickLoad says about 30k psi with the 117 grainer.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by earlmck View Post
    My plinkin' load in the sp101 is 4 grains Red Dot pushing a 117 grain Ranch Dog 32/20 boolit. For sure you'd be OK with this powder charge and the lighter 90 grain boolit. Green Dot would want just a scosh more for the equivalent velocity -- like 4.2 grains maybe. This is just under 1000 fps in my pistola. QuickLoad says about 30k psi with the 117 grainer.
    You pretty much hit the nail on the head as for where I planned to start out with green dot

Boolit Master
    Mainly just want to watch this thread, but 30carbine and 3220 data with pressures listed could offer some sanity check. Also 32hr data could serve as start point. Asuming you are not trying to get max velocity rather a nice accurate moderate load. I like the 31108 at 1000 ish, using 231 but cant remember the amount.
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Boolit Buddy
    for anyone following this tread for data references I tried out the red dot load I mentioned earlier in this tread at 25 yrds bench rested with a 5.5 inch single seven . it actually was a tad warmer than I was expecting the grouping wasn't the greatest nor was accuracy . it probably could be tweeked a bit 1 way or the other for better results. now since then ive loaded same bullet (lee 90 gr swc bullet ) over 4.1 gr of green dot 1.460 oal with same gun same distance . I was hitting low left but grouping was consistent so I adjusted the sights and was getting quarter sized groups in center of target . I have no idea as for fps but I know for me its a nice easy shooting accurate target load . I just figured I would pass along for anyone else interested .these were just my results use at own risk