Reloading EverythingWidenersLoad DataRotoMetals2
Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Inline Fabrication Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ordering a custom mold.....

ordering a custom mold.....

hi all. this is the first time ever i'm thinking about ordering a custom mold ,and i'm a bit lost on how to make it right.

how would you describe or draw a bullet to a mold maker?

i'm trying to reproduce a round that works great in all my gun , and it's the zero 180grs TCFM ; i'd really like to get a custom mold made out to these specs.....how would you detail the round's mensurations so mold maker isn't puzzled ?

the bullet in question is a .400 diameter ,has 591 of lenght
    ; but what would be the right measurement technique to detail the specs of the 2 different '' bearing edges '' of a TCFM projectile leading to the nose of the bullet?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC04380.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	31.4 KB 
ID:	213927

Name:	DSC04383.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	72.6 KB 
ID:	213928

also, i might resize the bullet to either .400 OR .401 depending the accuracy's results . is , having the mold cut to .400 is the right way to go?

i'm adding to all this this 40S&W round will be coated with hi tek,so obvioulsy it is a grooveless mold.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Send a couple of bullets to Tom, Accurate Molds owner and he will cut the mold for you. Have sent Tom 3 Ideal bullets and the mold is an exact clone of each bullet.
    http://www.accuratemolds.com/
    Regards
    John

Boolit Master

+ 1 . Tom uses cad drawings on cnc equipment and will make anything the doesn't have a pointy nose.
    "In God we trust, in all others, check the manual!"

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by John Boy View Post
    Send a couple of bullets to Tom, Accurate Molds owner and he will cut the mold for you. Have sent Tom 3 Ideal bullets and the mold is an exact clone of each bullet.
    http://www.accuratemolds.com/
    yes sir that is what I would do if I wanted the exact copy
    or ask Tom if he knows the bullet in question<I have done that>and he will make you exactly what you want
    he will ask what alloy you plan on using but if you size no prob
    enjoy
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

i've emailed TOM about it asking if sending some bullets would be the easiest way .it's a very simple design.

there's still a detail i'm not sure about and it,s the fact that i may resize to .400 OR .401 because i have several 40's and some shoot 400's better,and some 401......so what mold diameter would be appropriate for the situation ?

Banned

If there is something not in his catalog then I find something in the ballpark or explain what I want. He has got designs up in less than 24 hours more than once for me. Your bullet is pretty simple. A picture and weight and length would get you there.

Boolit Master
    Have it designed to drop at .401 with the alloy you plan to use and you can always size to where you want it later on for you needs. Most individuals will size .001 to .002 over barrel groove diameter.

Boolit Grand Master

You can draw it up simply and as accurate as possible. Also make it to a scale. On a piece of 8 1/2X11 paper you could make it 5-1 scale This makes small errors smaller, Dimension from one corner x-y-z this cuts down on stacked tolerences. You can send prototypes or examples along also to aid. No matter how you draw it on paper if the maker is running cnc equipment hes going to redraw it into his program and may for manual equipment to get the numbers he wants. Several of the custom makers sites have programs for drawing the bullets and you can get an idea of what they want by looking at these programs also.

Quote Originally Posted by country gent View Post
    You can draw it up simply and as accurate as possible. Also make it to a scale. On a piece of 8 1/2X11 paper you could make it 5-1 scale This makes small errors smaller, Dimension from one corner x-y-z this cuts down on stacked tolerences. You can send prototypes or examples along also to aid. No matter how you draw it on paper if the maker is running cnc equipment hes going to redraw it into his program and may for manual equipment to get the numbers he wants. Several of the custom makers sites have programs for drawing the bullets and you can get an idea of what they want by looking at these programs also.

thing is i'm very bad at drawing lol. bullet would probably look like a projectile after a smash test haha.

i've sent a picture of the bullet i want to reproduce,and the dimensions like diameter,lenght, and diameter of the flat nose...the only thing i haven't measured is the '''slope'' between the bearing edge of the boolit and the nose because since it is retracting till the nose , then the diameter varies all along....

Boolit Grand Master

Go over to Mountainmolds.com. Dan has a program that allows you to design your own boolit, and he will cut the mold as well. He also has a forum where he answers questions of those designing boolits. If you want another maker print out your boolit from Dan's site and send that. I would trust Dan to cut it, though.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Smith View Post
    Go over to Mountainmolds.com. Dan has a program that allows you to design your own boolit, and he will cut the mold as well. He also has a forum where he answers questions of those designing boolits. If you want another maker print out your boolit from Dan's site and send that. I would trust Dan to cut it, though.
    thanks for the info...gonna look at it right now....does he makes very accurate molds ? i'm asking because this one will be used for my IPSC-USPSA ammunition ,then yes i'd like to extract the most consistent boolits possible .

Quote Originally Posted by white eagle View Post
    yes sir that is what I would do if I wanted the exact copy
    or ask Tom if he knows the bullet in question<I have done that>and he will make you exactly what you want
    he will ask what alloy you plan on using but if you size no prob
    enjoy
    that is the answer i got from him .

i explained i wanted the copy of the zero tcfm,sent a picture and basic measurements. seems like it,s VERY complicated .

Re: 40 S&W mould.
    AM
    Accurate Molds <tom@accuratemolds.com>

I have many 40 caliber pistol designs in my catalog, and any of them can be made without lube grooves.
    If YOU don't find anything appropriate in my catalog, you can send me a drawing with the measurements of the bullet you want to duplicate.
    Precise measurements would require an optical comparator, which neither of us own.
    You'll need to make do with a caliper.

Thanks
    Tom

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Moonie View Post
    yes,it look alike,however, it is maybe me,but i don't see the AOL of this bullet which is important . the bullet i want has a smaller nose diameter.

tom asked me to provide the measurements using my caliper which i did.

here they are:

RE: 40 S&W mould.

Accurate Molds (tom@accuratemolds.com)

here are the measurements taken with my caliper.hope this help.

aol of the boolit from the base to the top of the nose is : .591

diameter is .400

distance from the base to where the diameter start to decrease is :.391

distance from where the diameter start to decrease to the nose is : .209

diameter of the nose surface diameter is : .255

do you guys think it is not accurate enough to make a mold out of those specs ?

Tom told me that he cannot make a mold from a boolit i would send him, then he asked for measurements taken with my caliper...i hope this can be done, he seems to cut very nice and accurate molds. would really like to have one of those piece of art....but seems now that i don't meet his requirements enough to cut me one....i don't know what else i could do.....but yes, it is true that i'm a newbie,so i'm bad at drawing ,and this is maybe why i might have to forget about getting a custom mold.
    Last edited by glockfan; 02-11-2018 at 10:44 PM.

Boolit Master
    The 40-180Z is .600" in length .34 body + .26" nose. It looks like your measurements of .391" + .209" should = the overall length of .591" however you have .600"

The nose length, meplat diameter is important to figure out for feeding. You also have a radius on the nose meplat which comes to play too.

When I send Tom measurements he draws things up, puts it into his online catalog and then I review etc. In the end though it comes down to your decision to dive in and purchase a well crafted mold that will hopefully be from your best descriptions/measurements what you are looking for in a boolit design.

Boolit Bub
    glockfan,

to read the dimensions on toms drawings, look at the arrows and numbers on the rightside drawing on his page. The dimensions with the up arrows are distance in inches from the base of the bullet. The distance on the right arrows are the diameter of the bullet at that location. The angled arrows with an R are a radius ( R.6 means radius of 0.600")Hope this helps.

for info, it looks like the 40-180z is 0.600" OAL, with a 0.200" meplat.

o guys...do you think that this would be ''readable''' ? sorry,i'm absoltly very bad at drawings....but i absolutly want an accurate mold LOLOL!!!!

Name:	DSC04393.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	50.6 KB 
ID:	214010

Boolit Master
    He would understand your drawing of a truncated nose profile bullet design however looking at your original pictures of the jacketed bullet I see a bit of a radius on the meplat. If it were me with your request I would ask him put a .250" meplat with the R.06 and see what it looks like. I bet it is pretty darn close to what you are wanting.

Quote Originally Posted by RobS View Post
    He would understand your drawing of a truncated nose profile bullet design however looking at your original pictures of the jacketed bullet I see a bit of a radius on the meplat. If it were me with your request I would ask him put a .250" meplat with the R.06 and see what it looks like. I bet it is pretty darn close to what you are wanting.
    thanks for looking RobS.
    if i understand correctly, you noticed that there's a '''shoulder''' circling the meplat ? so maybe when i took measurement i accidently inserted the '''shoulder''' in the measurement of the meplat ?

oh....and what is an R.06 ?

that means that i might have to substract .005 out of this specific measurement...thanks for that . i only can hope Tom will not kickback on me haha!!

so RobS do you think i can send tom this picture and measurement as is ,and adding what you noticed the way you worded it to me ?

Boolit Master
    The R.06 is the radius or "shoulder" of the meplat you speak about. I figured you measured it into the mepat diameter the first go around and is why I thought .250" meplat vs the .255". I would make the meplat at .250" for the drawing that you send Tom. None the less Tom will reply to your email and give you the catalog number of your design and you will have the chance to view it and make changes if you need to etc.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast