Inline FabricationWidenersReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Lee PrecisionRepackboxLoad DataSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2 MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ordering a custom mold.....

takin this one as reference : sure i get some of the numbers here, then some means mystery for me like those in the upper right . seems i even cannot identify with certainty where the AOL is among the numbers i see in the upper right .

i'm reading a .402 to.405 taper in the shape of this design!? .

also shapes looks more like a RNFP with the obvious round shape of the body before hitting the .250 meplat(same has my design) . there's also the R6 ; i have a .200 R6 ,on the draw here it's .260 .

not sure i read this correctly.

Boolit Master
    I run that exact same bullet in my G35 40S&W factory barrel, sized .401
    2 coats of HITEK coating. Excellent accuracy with 2,6,92 alloy.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Boolit Master

That middle .405 has an arrow above it, indicating that the horizontal .38 diameter is measured .405 up from the base. On up, you have .58 from the base measures .24 in diameter and is the beginning of the nose radius. Up from that is the overall length of .6 measured to the meplant, which is .2. Maybe that helps?
    "In God we trust, in all others, check the manual!"

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by glockfan View Post
    i've emailed TOM about it asking if sending some bullets would be the easiest way .it's a very simple design.

there's still a detail i'm not sure about and it,s the fact that i may resize to .400 OR .401 because i have several 40's and some shoot 400's better,and some 401......so what mold diameter would be appropriate for the situation ?
    I did not see this answered. You can only size down and I like .001" over for smooth drive bands. I would ask for a mold that casts .402" with your alloy.
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Quote Originally Posted by Ausglock View Post
    I run that exact same bullet in my G35 40S&W factory barrel, sized .401
    2 coats of HITEK coating. Excellent accuracy with 2,6,92 alloy.
    as i said, the bullet i want is proven in all my 40's used for the game. it leaves me a very good load
    density margin and the profile and .591 AOL of this bullet gives a shorter gravity center so very stable at moderate speeds like handguns provides. the cone is a tad shorter with a .200 cone and .255 TC diameter.

i got also good result with the .401 HP version at .616 AOL and slightly longer body of .395 and .221 cone .221 MP.

will see what emerge from the draw and boolit's spec i've submited to Tom of accurate mold , and the project concerning the purchase of a custom mold.

this is an interesting journey and valuable experience for me this idea of getting a custom mold made for a specific application and
    load in mind ...
    Last edited by glockfan; 02-13-2018 at 12:56 AM.

Boolit Master
    The US has a national standard for drawing dimensioning and tolerancing called ASME Y14.5M. it would be better for the bullet mold industry if they would all learn and use the standard.
    Drawings like the one above make the industry look lazy and unprofessional.

The current wild west dimensioning and tolerancing practices have no uniform definitions or interpretation. As a result it is as if everyone is speaking a different language. In my work life the ASME Y 14.5M standard is god. The reason is we have many parts that cost up to $20,000 each and they take months to make.
    You can put both the selling company and buying company out of business if a large batch of these parts are made wrong. You wind up with terrible scrap costs and months of schedule that cannot be recovered.
    Last edited by EDG; 02-13-2018 at 11:24 AM.
    EDG

well...i couldn't be happier,as TOM agreed to the final design .

i now know that it is much easier for him to take an existing design close to what you want in his catalog and annotate it with whatever program on the computer..in my case it is windows PAINT which is a very,very basic drawing program. all i had to do was erasing the specs i wanted to see modified and replacing em with mine .

finally ordered a 4 cavities made out of BRASS based on advices from much,much, much more knowleadgeable people than me (thanks a million times ROBS ) ........and if this mold drop good and accurate boolits, i have a deal with my uspsa shooting buddy who will buy it,then i will order another one from TOM made out of iron.

now i think i'm gonna sell my 9mm 147grs lyman mold , and will get an accurate mold instead. i'm dreaming about the same boolit design for my limited minor nines.

i like FP's because they punch cleaner holes in the targets , which may makes a difference between an alpha VS a charlie LOL.

i want to thanks every castboolit users who replied in this thread. i'm an absolute newbie in the casting world,and i will be able to tell to anyone who ask that i've learned my way into boolit casting all through out this forum,and how the castboolit community is absolutely awesome,filled with super knowledgeable and great people.

i consider castboolit the most valuable website specifically dedicated to boolit casting....exactly like i consider BRIAN ENOS forum the most valuable forum when it comes to IPSC-USPSA and the shooting sports at large.
    Last edited by glockfan; 02-13-2018 at 09:59 PM.

Boolit Master

I like the 147Y in my 9mm's.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12