RepackboxRotoMetals2Inline FabricationTitan Reloading
Lee PrecisionLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Wideners

Thread: 22 TCM 9R cast bullet

Boolit Bub

22 TCM 9R cast bullet

What is everyone using to load cast bullets in the 22 TCM 9R pistol or the 22 TCM rifle and pistol? I just ordered a RIA Mapp 22 TCM 9R pistol and also have a AR converted to 22 TCM using the ARguy's PPS-43 magazine conversion.
    Anyone use the Arsensal 22 cast bullet and powder coat it? Seems possible.
    http://arsenalmolds.com/bullet-molds...it=99999999999

Boolit Master
    Check this page out. The 9R is loaded shorter with a lighter projectile to fit in Glock style mags. Its listed as a 39 grain projectile. NOE has 37, 39, 46, and 47 grain boolits that are much shorter, all gas check designs. If you are powder coating them, I wouldn't think the gas check design will hinder anything, but I'm sure NOE will cut a mold with a plain or bevel base for you.

Boolit Bub
    Will the smooth sided bullet and powder coated stand up to 2000 FPS velocities?

Boolit Master
    That has more to do with your alloy. I would also make sure yourbases were powdercoated. Ithink water dropped wheel weight would be sufficient with full coverage powdercoating.

Boolit Bub
    I use the noe 37 grain GC mold. I hi-tek coat them, load them with #9 powder at 10 grains. Very accurate out of my Rock Island 1911. They area little bit of a PIA putting GC"s on. I have not tried any with out a GC. I will say the Arsenal 22 mold is very interesting. I have a Arsenal mold for my 45 acp and the workmanship is great.

Boolit Mold
    The problem is with the 22tcm9R is the tip of the bullet needs to be very short (as you and any any 9R owner knows), the bator used to work but they had to be milled, have the gas check removed and if I had to guess have the lube groves removed in order to fit properly. It seems like a lot of work (if you can even find someone willing to sell theirs to you) and at that point you might be better off just buying a custom mold. The good news is that I am also in the same boat as you. I got a 22tcm conversion but once my supply dries up I will need to start reloading my own (thanks California) Let me know if you get a group buy together I don’t have enough posts to start my own.

Boolit Mold
    If we can’t get anyone else to join we could get it made by lee and split the 175 tool fee

Boolit Bub
    I ordered the Arsenal 36 gr bullet as they stated the nose was .135 long. That should work out in the 22 TCM 9R pistol and hopefully feed OK in my AR conversion.
    ASAP

Boolit Mold
    Let me know how it works

Boolit Bub
    I received the Arsenal 36 gr mold in 5 cavity. My it looks good. I will get the casting equipment out and do a batch up. Haven't powder coated before so that will be a learning experience.
    The nose of the bullet looks just the right length for OAL specs.
    ASAP

Boolit Mold
    Awesome and good luck with the powder coating (I’ll leave that learning curve to you.) Remember, if it ends up not working, you still have the lee custom option.

Quote Originally Posted by MK111 View Post
    I received the Arsenal 36 gr mold in 5 cavity. My it looks good. I will get the casting equipment out and do a batch up. Haven't powder coated before so that will be a learning experience.
    The nose of the bullet looks just the right length for OAL specs.
    ASAP
    Any updates?

Boolit Bub
    I use an NOE 37g mould. But I cast for the standard 22 TCM, not the 9R version. I think it would work just fine though. I load at 1.198" OAL.

Boolit Mold
    Retro, thanks for digging this up. I have a 17 frame waiting for a purpose in life and this is what I want it to be but can't justify the build without a bullet for the case.

I’ve been eyeballing the $142 conversions for the Glock 17 on eBay. If I could cast my own boolits and make my own brass it would be worth it.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by retrobass View Post
    I’ve been eyeballing the $142 conversions for the Glock 17 on eBay. If I could cast my own boolits and make my own brass it would be worth it.
    You can make your own brass, there are several places that sell jigs to cut brass and molds for bullets are available, I had Arsenal molds cut me a couple of molds one with a TC nose profile and a second one with a longer nose that won't work in a pistol. My 22 TCM is a DI AR15.

Boolit Buddy

TCM22 is a bit of a white whale. The TCM22r is the bastard offspring of the white whale. When you work up a load for 1 projectile for 1 firearm, you will have 1 load for that 1 firearm. The rifle and pistol (s) are very different regarding load requirements.

My dream mould for the 1911 ria TCM22 would be 35-40 gr NLG hornet nose profile with a slightly beveled base.
    Stronger, Prouder and Greater!

Boolit Bub
    Anyone have any updates on this topic? I am on the fence between original and 9r. Will want to have pistol and AR so it looks like decision between easy mag for AR vs bullet/velocity choice. Leaning toward TCM 22. Assuming everything is a compromise and the whole point to this set up is having a handgun and AR shoot the same ammo. Finding a bullet and load that works good for both is the ideal set up.

Boolit Master

I am not shooting a 9r, do not think I would due to the odd requirements. I am shooting the 1911 RIA 22TCM with cast bullets and they work great. I am using the 44gr. Lyman 225438, it is a round nose bullet and feeds perfectly. I powder coat and gas check. I do not push my normal loads that hard, I am running low to mid 1900's based on my loads over my chronograph. The PC holds up fine, have never had any lead. I have gone over 2000 to about 2050 and they still worked great.