Snyders JerkyInline FabricationReloading EverythingRepackbox
Titan ReloadingWidenersLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load Data RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Best bullet puller for cast bullets ?

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by jski View Post
    I'd prefer to remove the bullets for reuse, if possible.
    I suspect you don't cast your own yet?

I had similar thoughts about reusing cast bullets before I became a boolit caster. If the bullets you are pulling are commercially cast "Hard cast" bullets, then reusing them may work out for you. But, when I attempted to save/reuse pulled cast bullets, my attempts were futile.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by 1Hawkeye View Post
    The rcbs hammer type puller works fine for cast bullets and if you want to try to reuse them just put a cotton ball down in puller before the round. This acts as padding so the bullet won't get deformed.
    Good tip. Thanks.
    I just pulled some 30-06 soft point bullets and the tip got smashed and deformed.
    I'll melt them down for the lead but the cost adds up when I ruined 5 or 6.

I'm going to try the cotton tip out.
    Maybe a piece of styrofoam instead so the powder doesn't get stuck in the cotton.

Boolit Master
    Inertia pull puller and a piece of 4x4 post. For pointed j bullets put a foam earplugs in the puller to cushion the bullet upon release. The jaws I have for the puller is from Quinetics O ring is crimped in place and split on one side jaws segments stay together but the O ring can't split/ fail.

Boolit Grand Master

When using an inertia puller, with boolits that have been crimped in place, including Military ammo,
    seat the bullet just a tad deeper to break the crimp, it will make pulling easier.
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Buddy
    The Hornady cam-lock works great for 9mm, but took me all of about 10 minutes to bust a collet tooth off in 45. It is just a bunch thinner and very unforgiving if you accidentally grab brass. That horrible crunching sound still haunts me. For 45 I do use the rcbs, and it is fine on most but not all cast shapes. For SWC's in 45, where I have very little full diameter shoulder to work with, I get enough squeeze from the 9mm collet in the Hornady grabbing the "nose" of the bullet for most.

Boolit Master

I have the RCBS collet puller, two inertia (Q-netix green and Midway blue), and a pair of vice grips by the press. All of them get used, depending on the circumstances.

I found I can usually reload my inertia pulled cast boolits, with a few caveats. It has to be not crimped, and it has to be loaded without excessive neck tension. Since I usually minimally resize rifle brass with a bushing die, and usually expand to full depth with an NOE in Lee expander die, I usually get an unmolested boolit back. However if I'm using a standard jacketed-oriented FL die and just flaring, it usually does some resizing on the cast boolit- which is why I'm phasing out that equipment for cast loads.
    I give loading advice based on my actual results in factory rifles with standard chambers, twist rates and basic accurizing.
    My goals for using cast boolits are lots of good, cheap, and reasonably accurate shooting, while avoiding overly tedious loading processes.
    The BHN Deformation Formula, and why I don't use it.
    How to find and fix sizing die eccentricity problems.
    Do you trust your casting thermometer?
    A few musings.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12