RepackboxRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionPBcastco
MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingWideners
Load Data Inline Fabrication
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: .308 High Velocity at 500 yards.

Interesting reading:
    Don't know if you're better off with that long throat or not. The 308 I just started using/testing has an extremely short/tight throat. Can't use a lot of the bullet molds I have because the noses cast too large with a hard alloy. The end result is the base of the bullet is waaaayyyyy down in the boiler room of the 308 cartridge.

I see you're age hardening your bullets. Just started doing a test with using the same alloy to cast 2 batches of bullets. The 1st batch that I cast last week was water dropped and will be age hardened. The 2nd batch that I will cast next week out of the same alloy will also be water dropped. But the 2nd batch will also be heat treated. The end result is:
    aged hardened vs heat treated/hardened
    30 days vs 7 days

I've never heat treated any bullets before, actually I've only heated/annealed cores for swaging jacketed bullets. Don't know what to expect but there's only 1 way to find out. Perhaps you could do a little testing in the future with age hardening vs heat treated?

Forrest r. I was told I could expect this blend of alloy to end up around 18bnh after water dropped and aged a min. of 30 days or so.
    That's a good question. I have no idea how they would end up if I put them in a 450 oven for an hour then into an ice bath.
    Might have to try a small batch of the culled boolits just to see what happens.
    I'll let you know.
    The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.
    Proverbs 1:7

Boolit Grand Master

Waco

You certainly have done well your "first time out" shooting cast bullets at long range and at a relative high velocity also. You certainly paid attention to what others have done and accomplished shooting HV. It doesn't matter who they were the techniques used push the RPM Threshold up and that's what you've done, and done it well. You've also demonstrated that shooting such HV loads at long range isn't that hard either. Some would have us believe getting accuracy at relatively HV from cast bullets is akin to rocket science or medieval witchcraft. It certainly isn't either but you do have to do certain things to be successful.....those are what you are doing.

Looks like I may get out on Tuesday as the wind is supposed to be 4 - 6 out of the SE. It's usually calm first thing and from the SE would put it coming in from 6 0'clock where I intend to shoot. We'll see. Weather reports says you're getting a bit of snow up your way?
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Well. I see some things never change.

Well. You know you are doing something worth while when you can bring Gearnasher out of a two plus year hiatus........
    The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Hannibal View Post
    Well. I see some things never change.
    Isn't that the truth.........
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Grand Master

geargnasher, runfiverun

Your comments are way off base, Waco asked for my "thoughts". Here's his post in this thread;

"Larry. I'd really like to see results from your 500 yard tests in the .308
    I need to cast up several more batches of the XCB possibly with a tweak of the alloy if this last one does not preform well.
    I will look for patterns in the weight of the next batch. Thank you for your input and testing you have shown. I would really like to compare my 500 yard results with yours if your willing to share. I'm curious as to what powders you have had luck with. IMR4831 has proven good so far. I'm not sure I can squeeze out to much more velocity with such a slow powder. I'm thinking I might have to toughen up the alloy and go to a bit faster powder.
    Your thoughts?
    Walter "

It is really a shame when a discussion can't be had on HV shooting w/o your continual personal criticism or personal attacks. I should be free to post my "thoughts" on a topic, especially when asked by the OP. If you disagree the proper adult thing for you to do is simply post your own test results proving your own points. I have continually told the both of you and have posted test results here and at http://noebulletmolds.com/smf/index....2.html#msg3772 on how to push the RPM Threshold up. That is what Waco is doing and we were discussing his test and pending tests I'm going to redo at his request. Is it too much to ask you tow add something positive to the thread?
    Last edited by Larry Gibson; 02-24-2018 at 11:09 PM.
    Larry Gibson

― Nikola Tesla

Banned

Waco, I've been watching, with great interest. Your long-range work is well past what I've ever attempted and I'm really fascinated by the things you're experiencing and challenges you're working through, all good to know and I'm very glad you and your brother are spending the effort to capture your work and share with everyone. I assure you, there are people who are learning a lot right now, including me.

I will share one observation and suggestion that doesn't seem to have been addressed yet. I see two groups at both 100 and 500, with a VERTICAL spread only, which are characteristic of your load putting the bullet exiting the muzzle right in-between nodes. I'm sure you are well aware of muzzle whip etc. since you shoot a lot of long-range with your other rifles, but not sure how you approach it. When I see vertical and really clean chronograph numbers, the first thing I try is to bump the powder charge just a little (like half a grain or less in your case) and that usually closes it right up. What I'm NOT seeing is any bullet balance issues, helical flight paths, scattered circular groupings, or anything to indicate much of the input you've received already, so there's not much else to add at this point other than please keep up the good work!

Gear

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by waco View Post
    Well. You know you are doing something worth while when you can bring Gearnasher out of a two plus year hiatus........
    Yes, you are, but least of all on my account. I enjoy watching others doing more than the usual with an off the shelf rifle action and barrel and ordinary, cast bullets, it's a favorite pursuit of my own, but many others may not know and things like this can open up a whole new world of possibilities to them.

Gear
    Last edited by geargnasher; 02-24-2018 at 11:34 PM.

Banned

The 2 groups theory was brought up right away about tweaking the load. Most scoffed at that idea and that was also the reason I brought up the parallax issue too. BOTH can and will cause 2 separate groups. But that is going to be left up to Waco to determine which of the two it is.

Banned

those are not special loading techniques.
    it's just what equipment he had on hand.
    he was hand seating primers cause he is cheap and won't buy a table mounted priming tool.
    CCI primers?
    they were on sale.

he hasn't even done a throat slug yet.
    he has no idea what diameter his barrel is.
    he is just barely getting to the part about using fire formed cases.
    he got some extra bullets I didn't melt down.
    he used a load some idiot on the internet gave him.
    there ain't a whole lot more he could do wrong.

Boolit Grand Master

Seems waco is doing pretty good not worrying about all that......
    Larry Gibson

― Nikola Tesla

Banned

yes he is.
    or he just done what a few others have done and focused on the can and not the can not.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by tomme boy View Post
    The 2 groups theory was brought up right away about tweaking the load. Most scoffed at that idea and that was also the reason I brought up the parallax issue too. BOTH can and will cause 2 separate groups. But that is going to be left up to Waco to determine which of the two it is.
    "doesn't seem to have been addressed yet" was sarcasm, in your and AggiEE's defense. Sorry, I forgot to put it in purple, it's been a while.

Gear

Banned

Been awhile gear, stop hiding and get posting.

Boolit Master
    Here are some of my results from my 1-17” twist Krieger barrel Remington 700 .308 Win. The rifle wears a Remington SPS Varmint stock and the barrel is neither bedded nor free floated. The chamber is a saami spec .308 Win throated for my load.:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	E0AD3B85-DB27-4858-A2EB-B166602B5D55.jpeg 
Views:	16 
Size:	55.3 KB 
ID:	215153
    This is shots 11-20 from this barrel ever. The load is the NOE 30 XCB over 44.2 gr. RL22 in Hornady Match brass with WLR primers. This was fired at 50 yards after shots 1-10 were used getting on paper.

Name:	F6C1592C-2629-4081-9FFC-6254C51D5026.jpeg 
Views:	17 
Size:	38.0 KB 
ID:	215154
    This was at 100 yards. The only difference here is BR2 primers.

Name:	1CCADB9E-C00D-4A5C-A8B8-0A2934B22013.jpeg 
Views:	18 
Size:	43.0 KB 
ID:	215155
    Also 100 yards. These shots were fired in less than one minute. The flyer at upper left was shot number 2.

These loads have been chronographed at ~2430 fps from my 1-12” twist rifle. As this was the initial firing of this new rifle chronographing was not done, nor were bullets sorted other than cursory visual sorting at time of casting. These bullets were air cooled but have aged about 2 months since sizing and lube. Lube is 2700+
    Last edited by oldblinddog; 02-25-2018 at 06:18 PM.
    USMC 6638

Quote Originally Posted by oldblinddog View Post
    Here are some of my results from my 1-17” twist Krieger barrel Remington 700 .308 Win. The rifle wears a Remington SPS Varmint stock and the barrel is neither bedded nor free floated. The chamber is a saami spec .308 Win throated for my load.:

Name:	E0AD3B85-DB27-4858-A2EB-B166602B5D55.jpeg 
Views:	16 
Size:	55.3 KB 
ID:	215153
    This is shots 11-20 from this barrel ever. The load is the NOE 30 XCB over 44.2 gr. RL22 in Hornady Match brass with WLR primers. This was fired at 50 yards after shots 1-10 were used getting on paper.

Name:	F6C1592C-2629-4081-9FFC-6254C51D5026.jpeg 
Views:	17 
Size:	38.0 KB 
ID:	215154
    This was at 100 yards. The only difference here is BR2 primers.

Name:	1CCADB9E-C00D-4A5C-A8B8-0A2934B22013.jpeg 
Views:	18 
Size:	43.0 KB 
ID:	215155
    Also 100 yards. These shots were fired in less than one minute. The flyer at upper left was shot number 2.

These loads have been chronographed at ~2430 fps from my 1-12” twist rifle. As this was the initial firing of this new rifle chronographing was not done, nor were bullets sorted other than cursory visual sorting at time of casting. These bullets were air cooled but have aged about 2 months since sizing and lube. Lube is 2700+
    So how well do they shoot at 500 yards?

Boolit Buddy
    Gear, very glad to see you posting here again. I hope you stick around!

Boolit Grand Master

Gear nice to see you here, don't be a stranger your input is always welcome!
    Charter Member #148

Boolit Master
    Awesome shooting Larry. As usual.

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast