PBcastcoReloading EverythingLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingRepackboxLee Precision
Wideners Inline Fabrication
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: .308 High Velocity at 500 yards.

Boolit Master

Edge of The Crab Orchard National Wildlife Refuge
    Wanted to watch the video, couldn't hack the bongo's being louder than the dialogue,,,,,,

Is there any possibility of reloading the video without the background muzak?
    More "This is what happened when I,,,,," and less "What would happen if I,,,,"

Last of the original Group Buy Honcho's.

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

Quote Originally Posted by nagantguy View Post
    Nicely done, you took what you learned and applied it with good gear and attention to detail. I'm proud of you and can't wait to see more. I'm on a similar quest but with .32 caliber
    Nagantguy. Thanks a lot! I look forward to your results!
    The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.
    Proverbs 1:7

Quote Originally Posted by Hamish View Post
    Wanted to watch the video, couldn't hack the bongo's being louder than the dialogue,,,,,,

Is there any possibility of reloading the video without the background muzak?
    Sorry. No. But your not the first person to voice this concern. We will take this under advisement on our next video. Thanks for the input!
    The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.

Banned

I just turn the sound down a bit.

Banned

Waco. Just because you have a low es does not make it a accurate load.

I have some wolf 223 ammo that has shown a 5fps spread. But you put it on paper and it is a 3 moa load. You just need to find the load that has a low es and is accurate at the same time.

Your shooting two different groups MAY be from the load, but it may be you as well. I have found that when I shoot 2 groups it is USUALLY me. It came down to parallax and head position on the stock not consistent from shot to shot. Just some more to think about.

Quote Originally Posted by tomme boy View Post

I have some wolf 223 ammo that has shown a 5fps spread. But you put it on paper and it is a 3 moa load. You just need to find the load that has a low es and is accurate at the same time.

Your shooting two different groups MAY be from the load, but it may be you as well. I have found that when I shoot 2 groups it is USUALLY me. It came down to parallax and head position on the stock not consistent from shot to shot. Just some more to think about.
    Yep. Could very possibly have been me. I have a handful of those bullets left. I'll load up more of the same and try them again. I'll tweek the load up and down a bit as well to see if it hurts or helps.

Boolit Grand Master

Keep up the good work! Hey that rpmt will be at 180-200K soon!
    Last edited by swheeler; 02-16-2018 at 07:12 PM.
    Charter Member #148

Banned

That's easy to explain about the Wolf 223 ammo Tomme. ES and SD only have to do the velocity of that bullet at the muzzle. The problem there is that wolf ammo doesn't have match grade bullets, but the load gave very consistent velocity.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by vzerone View Post
    That's easy to explain about the Wolf 223 ammo Tomme. ES and SD only have to do the velocity of that bullet at the muzzle. The problem there is that wolf ammo doesn't have match grade bullets, but the load gave very consistent velocity.
    Concur. It's during the flight of the bullet to target that the centrifugal force acts on the imbalances in the bullet which results in larger groups or poorer accuracy. However the 3 moa accuracy tomme boy was getting is within the expected criteria for the Russian bullet. Pretty much the same with our own milsurp bullets. They are not the best or most precisely balanced bullets thus they will not be as accurate as quality commercial bullets are even if the internal ballistic measurements such as the ES and SD prove better.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    Concur. It's during the flight of the bullet to target that the centrifugal force acts on the imbalances in the bullet which results in larger groups or poorer accuracy. However the 3 moa accuracy tomme boy was getting is within the expected criteria for the Russian bullet. Pretty much the same with our own milsurp bullets. They are not the best or most precisely balanced bullets thus they will not be as accurate as quality commercial bullets are even if the internal ballistic measurements such as the ES and SD prove better.
    I couldn't agree more and exactly what I meant. Thanks for agreeing.

Banned

this is how it works with naked lead too.
    eliminate the imperfections and don't change the intended shape of the bullet and you get on target results.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by vzerone View Post
    Yes it doesn't matter what the bullet is made of if it's balanced with no defects internal or external, enters the bore straight, doesn't receive any form of damage from the rifling, is the right alloy for the pressure range, and exits the muzzle correctly rpm has no accuracy destroying effects on it.
    Absolutely correct, good post!
    Charter Member #148

15lbs. coww
    6 1/2lbs Lino
    1/2 pound 63/37 Sn, Pb
    NOE XCB water dropped.
    I'll get back to you in a month....

Banned

Vz , Larry, run. Exactly what I was say but you guys said it way better.

I bet if Waco can get all the parallax out of his scope and can load the gun without taking his head off the sock he might get rid of the 2 groups.

Vz , Larry, run. Exactly what I was say but you guys said it way better.

I bet if Waco can get all the parallax out of his scope and can load the gun without taking his head off the sock he might get rid of the 2 groups.
    Old habit for me while target shooting. Loading one at a time. I'm not sure if the loaded rounds will fit in the magazine or not. I'll have to try that.

Time to sort, cull, and hurry up and wait.....Click image for larger version. 

Name:	49FBF39E-628D-4D38-9C3F-A5C410B2431F.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	92.3 KB 
ID:	214529

So I got all of the boolit sorted by weight. They were all culled between 162-163gr.
    I sorted the out in.01gr lots.
    Time to let them age. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	B2BCD68D-1495-4D2F-BC7D-F96ECB730926.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	60.1 KB 
ID:	214709

Boolit Buddy
    Nice job OP , I too plan to tackle 600 yds with the LEE 312-185 mould that I plan on doing some high velocity mid range testing with in both my 308 and my Mosin 91/30.

Boolit Grand Master

Waco

Regards weight sorting the 30 XCB bullet (NOE) for accuracy. You might read; http://goodsteelforum.com/forums/top...rove-accuracy/
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Grand Master
    Waco

Regards weight sorting the 30 XCB bullet (NOE) for accuracy. You might read; http://goodsteelforum.com/forums/top...rove-accuracy/
    Larry,

Thanks for posting the link and for the write up. It makes perfect sense.
    Don Verna

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast