PBcastcoReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingLoad Data
Lee PrecisionWidenersRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Repackbox MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast

Thread: .308 High Velocity at 500 yards.

.308 High Velocity at 500 yards.

NOE 30 XCB, GC
    IMR 4831 46gr
    Lars 2500+ Lube\
    Nosler brass, CCI LRP
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-rsMrbxQb0
    The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.
    Proverbs 1:7

Boolit Grand Master

Nice video, thanks. You could call them tracers or smokers
    Charter Member #148

Right?! Maybe some of that was bullet lube spinning of of the boolit.
    The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by waco View Post
    Right?! Maybe some of that was bullet lube spinning of of the boolit.
    I would hope most would be gone by 500 yds? Is that a 24 inch barreled Rem with 12" twist? Looked like a couple shots took a right turn just about to target?? I would say very well done.
    Charter Member #148

It's a 22" with a 1:10 twist.
    I agree that some were tailing off a bit at the end. 2260fps is just enough to keep them super sonic out to 500 yards.
    I imagine a 400 yard target would be a bit easier to hit consistently.

I'm kind of surprised this didn't gain more interest. I don't see many people trying for these kinds of distances.
    Last edited by waco; 02-12-2018 at 11:28 PM.

lol

Boolit Master
    I’ll try this with the rcbs 30-180-SP boolit and see if I can get them to group at 500 yds. What alloy were you using?
    Decreed by our Creator: The man who has been made able to believe and understand that Jesus Christ has been sent into this world by the Father has been born of the Spirit of God. This man shall never experience spiritual death. He will live forever!

Well,
    I'm interested lol. I'm using the xcb in a 12 twist .308 zastava mauser using imr4350. I haven't tested past 110 yds. yet, so watching your long range results.

I do like that boolit, as it was pretty easy to get some good speed and hunting accuracy with and turned out to be dynamite on whitetails even with the small meplat.

BTW, i used enough 4350 to push it to 2450 fps. chronoed in the above load with 3 coats of BLL lube.
    I think linear accuracy is going to hold at distance as well as it shoots at a 100...but i've got to get out and shoot some more to prove it.
    Last edited by 35 shooter; 02-13-2018 at 03:34 AM.

Okay,
    Just watched the video and it was very well done...congrats on that!
    After your last sight adj., what was the group size on the 3 shots that hit the plate? The two that went to the right of the plate on that string looked pretty well in line with those. Maybe just a bit of wind caught them...doesn't take much at that distance?

Anyway, just watching the smoke trail and impact on the steel, it looked like they were pretty tight. Nice!

Boolit Grand Master

Size of the steel?
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Quote Originally Posted by wmitty View Post
    I’ll try this with the rcbs 30-180-SP boolit and see if I can get them to group at 500 yds. What alloy were you using?
    I believe the alloy was 3-1 ww/lino +2% sn

Quote Originally Posted by 35 shooter View Post
    Okay,
    Just watched the video and it was very well done...congrats on that!
    After your last sight adj., what was the group size on the 3 shots that hit the plate? The two that went to the right of the plate on that string looked pretty well in line with those. Maybe just a bit of wind caught them...doesn't take much at that distance?

Anyway, just watching the smoke trail and impact on the steel, it looked like they were pretty tight. Nice!
    Thank you. I didn't walk down to look at the plate. I never put a fresh coat of paint on it before we started shooting. Good call for next time.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    Size of the steel?
    Larry. I was 12"x12"

Boolit Master

East Arkansas where I55 & I40 come together and then split
    Impressive, I am still trying to figure out a bullet at 100 yards. But I have only been trying cast about a year.

Your vids are getting better. Good job. I finally got to 200, will have to sight @ 200 to get to 400 next time.
    Whatever!

Banned

Waco, way to go!!!! Good job and glad more are trying this such a thing. The more you keep doing this the more things will improve. You listen to what Runfiverun tells you too.

Boolit Grand Master

Like I said very nice Waco. That figures out to 162.7K rpm at exit, smokin'!
    Charter Member #148

Thanks guys. I’ll try that same load again and maybe up it a bit. I’ll be trying some other powders as well.

Boolit Grand Master

Waco

Appears your last 6 or 7 shots (post last scope adjustment) went into, based on the 12"x12" steel, 16 - 20" +/- or 3 - 4 moa. Good job pushing the RPM Threshold up using a properly designed bullet, a slow burning powder and proper alloys. The last shot went up and away to the right and may have been caught by the Threshold. I suggest you might put a large piece of cardboard behind the steel to better track the misses.

Your results with the 30 XCB bullet in a 10” twist .308W with 24” barrel mirror my own results pushing the RPM Threshold up. The NOE 30 XCB bullet, designed by goodsteel with input from runfiverun and myself, was expressly for HV and for pushing the RPM Threshold up. The design attributes suggested by me are all there. I also found AA4350, RL19 and RL22 to perform very well in my test rifle.

I chose two powders to test under the NOE 30 XCB bullet in the .308W rifle with 10” twist; RL19 and RL22. Both of those powders gave the best accuracy out of this rifle with the Lyman 311466 and LBT 30-160-SP cast bullets. Both of those bullets began going over the RPM Threshold at about 2300 fps/165,000 RPM with RL19 and about 2350 fps/169,000 RPM with RL22. Note how both of those bullets and powders have pushed up the RPM Threshold over the incorrectly assumed “limit” of 140,000 RPM. Both of those bullets held under 2 moa accuracy with linear expansion at 200 yards. Thus with that baseline to measure against I loaded test strings of 38, 40, 42, 44 and 46 gr of each powder to test the NOE 30 XCB bullet.

The 44 gr load of RL19 gave 2313 fps, 166,536 RPM at 38,900 psi(M43). The group size was 1.55” for 10 shots. Again giving an excellent ES of 30 fps with the SD at 9 FPS. The Pressure ES was 1,200 psi with an SD of 400 psi which is excellent and demonstrating excellent ignition and uniform burn. Further group testing (10 shots) showed this load held 1.3 - 2 moa consistently.

The 44 gr RL22 load gave 2267 fps, 163,224 RPM at 37,300 psi(M43). The group size was 1.3”. The ES and SD remained low at 57 fps and 19 fps. The 46 gr RL22 load gave 2381 fps, 171,432 RPM at 41,800 psi(M43). Again the ES and SD remained constant at 62 fps and 20 fps. This load might was tested for linear group dispersion to 400 yards. The 7 of the 10 shots at 400 yards went into 6.1”. The other three hit to the right as they got caught by the wind. That opened the group to 8.3” demonstrating very close to linear dispersion and holding 2 moa.

Good job
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast