Inline FabricationReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Wideners
MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyRepackboxLee Precision
Titan Reloading Load Data

Thread: 80% question

80% question

I have seen that you can get 80% lowers for ARs and for 1911 pistols... Does anyone do an 80% lower for a 44 Mag semi-auto?

I see you didn't get any responses to this inquiry. That's too bad, as it could lead to some interesting discussion.

While I wouldn't try to build a 44 Rem Mag semi-auto, the 44 Auto Mag on the 308 AR platform should be relatively straightforward. You would have to modify a magazine to feed the 44 AM round, and adjust the gas pressure to cycle, but I see no reason why it couldn't be done.

IIRC Tony Rumore has done 44mag uppers, Don't remember offhand about what mags they used. Perhaps desert eagle mags stuffed inside of standard mag bodies like others have done for 357mag. You either have to chamber the barrel to headspace on the case mouth or add a lip for the rim to headspace on. A 44AMP is going to be alot easier and you can use standard USGI mags or 450BM mags with the feed lips bent in slightly to hold the cases. Standard barrel extension and 450BM/458socom bolt carrier group. For a 44 mag/amp I'd go with a pistol length gas system or one of the ones between pistol and carbine length. I've done a couple longer 445SM length AMP type uppers 44x1.6" and am currently making a 44x1.8" upper based on one of the .473" high pressure bolts and extensions. When done it will be able to use the same ammo as the AR10 in 44x1.8". A 265 hornady FP-innerlock at 2300fps out of a 16" barrel is possible without the extra weight of the AR10.

44x1.6" http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...rass&p=4183078

44x1.8" (doing one on an ar15 right now) http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...(44x1-8-quot-)