Reloading EverythingRepackboxSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load DataTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Wideners
Inline Fabrication Lee Precision

Thread: Uberti 1866 Yellow Boy case problem

Uberti 1866 Yellow Boy case problem

Some may remember I had a problem with some cases jamming on extraction. After much trial and error I finally kept separate a few of the tight cases and measured them with a micrometer (it was a bit iffy as the cases were a bit out-of-round from bouncing on a concrete floor). There seemed to be some variation in measurements at the rim end and the mouth end, so I pulled the barrel and had a fellow member who does gunsmithing have a look at the chamber. He measured a variation of 2.5 thou. between the ends of the chamber! The rifling end of the chamber was 2.5 thou. bigger than just inside the breech end!! No wonder some of the cases were tight. He ran a boring bar down, skimming just enough to make it uniform.

Guess it wasn't a good day at the Uberti factory when mine was made .

Boolit Master
    Mine was made with soft steel for the cams. They mushed right over with what is known as plastic deformation. Uberti made it right though by sending me free replacement parts. Rifle hasn't missed a beat in years now.
    The only amendment the Democrats support is the 5th.

Works fine now. I had one case that felt a little tight, and interestingly I had a couple of cases that were very tight to remove from my (new to me) Ruger Vacqueros. Looks like I've got one or two iffy cases.

Boolit Buddy
    I read the Vacqueros have .427 cylinders and .429-.430 barrels.The cure Ruger fails to acknowledge is having the cylinder reamed to match the barrel.