RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingLoad DataInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersTitan ReloadingRepackbox
Lee Precision
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: oyster stew,who likes?

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Catfish are bottom feeders. (And excellent taste!!)

Tilapia were bred to eat the poop from catfish tank bottoms. That’s pretty low on the food chain.

And we now eat them in many seafood dishes! YUCK!

Any food you have to season heavily to make it taste (even close to) eatable does not deserve a place on ANY menu. Well, mabe Denny’s!

Boolit Master
    Can't stomach Long John Silvers, either....
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Moderator Emeritus

They use pollock, a mush fish if it is frozen. Fresh it is semi firm and edible...

Boolit Grand Master
    The fake crab stores sell is made from pollock. In a HEAVY garlic and cheese Alfredo sauce over good angel hair pasta, it resembles real crab.........in a pinch! Sort of.

Boolit Master
    Knew a guy that of caught a lot of turtles with bank lines. He saved some of the white bits of meat and made a stew with milk and butter just like oyster stew. It was as good as oyster stew and that's saying a lot.

Dad used to make a big pot of oyster stew, we ate all we could and saved the rest for breakfast. I do believe it was better the next day.

Banned
    I have ate a whole bunch of turtle over 60 years and never had it cooked into a stew, might have to try it.

Banned

people eat farm raised catfish that has no better conditions then Tilapia. then some will even eat the liver out of an animal that filters all the bad stuff out, a pig or chicken that spends its whole life standing in #2 or worse of all a hotdog that is made from ground up emulsified intestine and is even allowed a certain percentage of rat hair ect. and stick there nose up at a fish. Now I'm hungry. Maybe a can of span mixed with some eggs out of one of those dirty chickens ovarys. Ill eat them. Ill even eat fish sticks. In a perfect world id love to have walleye, pike or perch every week but even up here where there caught there as much in the store per lb as a t-bone steak.
    Last edited by Lloyd Smale; 02-24-2018 at 08:14 AM.

Boolit Master

Now,now, farm raised AMERICAN catfish is good to go, fed a pelleted feed and raised with pretty strict standards. Foreign fish/shrimp is raised however they want, and that often includes human waste and garbage. Only a small percentage is ever inspected by AMERICAN food inspectors and the farms themselves are almost never. The fake Vietnamese catfish and farmed shrimp is putting the squeeze on farmers and shrimpers here in the US. Buy American, it really is a much safer and better product. Better yet, go catch your own!
    "Is all this REALLY necessary?"

Boolit Grand Master
    The big old channel cat I used to catch as a kid back in Iowa was “to die fir”. Not the stuff you get in restaurants/markets today. I love catfish grilled over misquite on the grill. The fish absorbs the smoke like no other meat. Skin down and do not flip over. A perfect meal.

Boner appetite!

Moderator Emeritus

Flathead cats I grew up catching and eating were far better than the channel cats. They eat live food mostly and rarely scavenge like a channel cat. And yes take a 5 pounder and smoke it, grab the crackers and eat! It was one of the foods I served for the weekly poker night when it was at my house.

Local gravel pit is loaded with perch and sunfish and no limits since they were stunting. I filled my freezer last fall and just ran out, going to have to find some American raised catfish...

Boolit Grand Master
    Love it.
    Fresh oysters make the best. Agree about it being better the next day.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Quote Originally Posted by Tom W. View Post
    Can't stomach Long John Silvers, either....
    Growing up we always called it "long dead slivers".

And on general terms a "pet peeve" of mine is anyone calling Tilapia "seafood" and it gives me a strong urge to perform a lobotomy on the person with a hatchet.

It is a FRESHWATER fish! and generally farm raised in muddy ponds!

If you want to talk seafood talk about Tuna or Marlin cooked on the grille, food of the gods!

A properly grilled marlin steak and you'll never ask for Beef again!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12