WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionRepackbox
Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Inline FabricationLoad Data
Reloading Everything Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Steel Mold Storage

Boolit Bub

Steel Mold Storage

What are people doing to store steel molds for both long term and short term storage?

After I cast with mine I give them a light coat of Fluid Film. The stuff sticks like crazy and does not wear off or dissipate over time.
    https://www.fluid-film.com/products/
    You can pick it up at Walmart.
    The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.
    Proverbs 1:7

Use a little oil and gallon ziplock bags. Seems like they never stay in there long and I’m casting with them again.

Boolit Master

Eezox all over mold and placed in ammo can with desiccant. I store molds in an unheated building year round and some molds I do not see for years. I have had no problems.

When I have a mold I will use over the course of a few days, I let it cool and then place it (with handle still attached) in a length of 4" PVC pipe with end caps on it for short term storage. I have desiccant in there as well.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Skunk1 View Post
    Use a little oil and gallon ziplock bags. Seems like they never stay in there long and I’m casting with them again.
    Are you putting oil in the mold cavity? If so, how are you removing it prior to casting?

Boolit Man
    after coating them with wd40 or something similar,put in a ziplock bag,then stash in a sealed ammo can.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by stinjie View Post
    after coating them with wd40 or something similar,put in a ziplock bag,then stash in a sealed ammo can.
    So how do you get the mold free of oil so you can start casting again? That always seems to be an issue with mine.

Boolit Man
    I store mine in plastic containers with pieces of VCI paper. Will wipe down the outside of the mold with gun oil as well. I'd guess any film that gets inside the cavities will burn off quickly while casting.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by I Haines View Post
    So how do you get the mold free of oil so you can start casting again? That always seems to be an issue with mine.
    I spray mine with choke and carburetor cleaner.

Banned
    Short term - a little bit of Kroil applied with a Q-tip.
    Long term - RIG; usually applied while the mold is still warm. A little dab on the spure plate over each cavity. That melts the grease and it runs into the cavities, coating everything. Then the outside surfaces are lightly coated. After the mold cools, it goes back into its box.

When returned to service the mold is degreased with alcohol followed by Acetone.

Never had a problem with rust using those methods.

Boolit Master

I use Vasoline. A quick wash with dish soap and a fingernail brush under warm tap water will have it oil free in no time.

Boolit Master

Put them in a sealed wooden box that has a gasket with desiccant. I live in Florida and haven't had any corrosion issues. No coatings or anything. I can pull it out and cast with it any time. I want to buy some VCI for it. Before i stored them with desiccant my molds would start to corrode/tarnish within a few weeks.
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

Likewise or brakleen. Whatever removes oils and grime that I have in my shop.

Boolit Master

I wipe the mould off with a clean cloth and wrap it in VCI paper. Then I put it in a plastic box to protect it from dings and then it goes into an large box with a good seal. I've never coated a mould with any kind of preservative and I've never had rust on a mould.
    Chuck

Boolit Grand Master

I spray mine with whatever type of gun oil that I'm using at the time, wrap in in an oily rag and put it in the MTM dry box that I use. I recently switched from an ammo can to the dry box because of size. To degrease, I spray it with whatever form of degreaser that I have on the bench and brush the cavities and vent lines with a soft brush. This will usually be break cleaner or electrical contact cleaner. I do this in a large well vented area.

Boolit Master

I use the little desiccant items that come in prescription drug containers. Either the little paper envelopes or plastic capsules. Our son is a pharmacist and occasionally will send me a gallon jug or two. I use them in all containers that I keep molds in, even brass or aluminum since the sprue plates are steel. I keep a bunch in a can in both safes. All are replaced about every 6 months. Probably overkill since my shop is both heated and air conditioned.

I don't oil my molds
    John
    W.TN

Boolit Grand Master

After moulds have cooled I coat all surfaces with Liquid Wrench Dry Lubricant , put them back in factory box they came in and boxes go into a steel G.I. ammo can or plastic tool box.
    The Dry Lube has kept all rust at bay and does not need to be removed...it doesn't contaminate the cavities.
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master
    I gave mine a shot of Birchwood Casey's Barricade. Really a superb rust preventative. Will spray it off with some Gunscrubber.
    Last edited by Cosmic_Charlie; 03-08-2018 at 04:28 PM.

Super Moderator

.............I wipe the outside with a ho-made silicone impregnated cloth (diaper flannel) just to kill off finger prints. Place the blocks into a suitable Zip-Loc plastic bag with a square of VPI paper or 'Chip', roll it up to remove most the air, seal and place into it's box. I'm in So. Calif so your own whereabouts may dictate something more.

...............Buckshot
    Last edited by Buckshot; 02-21-2018 at 01:20 AM.
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Quote Originally Posted by Rcmaveric View Post
    Put them in a sealed wooden box that has a gasket with desiccant. I live in Florida and haven't had any corrosion issues. No coatings or anything. I can pull it out and cast with it any time. I want to buy some VCI for it. Before i stored them with desiccant my molds would start to corrode/tarnish within a few weeks.
    I do exactly the same, no oil/coatings of any kind, just an air tight container with some silica desiccant which I revive once a year in the wife's microwave.
    I also live in a humid area, and I have had no problems doing it this way. When I want to cast, just take the mold out of the box, fit the handles, preheat and cast away!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast