RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyLoad Data
WidenersReloading EverythingLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Inline Fabrication Titan Reloading

Thread: Barnett mold repair

Boolit Mold

Barnett mold repair

I've got a Barnett mold for 8.15x46R that seems to be in need of repair. The mold blocks do not fit together as well as they should. I don't wish to damage it by attempting to repair it myself, and I thought that I would send it out for repair. I would appreciate any recommendations for fixing it.
    T. Brandon
    Newport, VA

Boolit Grand Master

If I was going to get a mold repaired I would check out Eric at Hollowpoint Bullet Molds. I have not seen any of his work but he has a good reputation.

Boolit Grand Master

"Fixing" a set of blocks can get very involved depending on the issues. Have you checked the pins for wear, depth and size in relation to the holes. T long or wrong size will hold blocks open. They do occasionally slip in the holes. Dirt or build ups can also affect the blocks closing. As can simple burrs and dings. Give it a good cleaning with acetone and a brush then dish soap water and a brush really work up a lather of suds. Rinse well with hot water then dry. Look it over good with a magnifying glass looking for burrs dings lead smears and any other build ups. Run a q-tip around edges of cavities edges of the blocks, and alighnment holes looking for pulled fibers indicating a burr or rough spot. Check the corner around pins and bocks for build ups it can hide there and be a big problem.
    A popcycle stick with a squared end is good to remove smears and build ups. A very fine stone or 800 grit sand paper glued to a popcycle stick works to remove burrs and dings slowly. A soft faced hammer of 8-10 ounces and a soft faced punch to adjust pins. work slowly and carefully checking often.

If the blocks are warped and metal removal is required from them then the cavities will need to be lapped back to round, removing .002 from blocks makes the bullet .004 out of round. If metal needs removed then its a complete disassembly of the blocks also. Another thing here if warped is why uneven heat? Stress in the blocks? poor machining when made? Stress in the blocks may allow them to warp again unless stress relieved. Look them over good and see if you can see the problem, even if you send them out being able to describe the problem to the person fixing them is a big plus.

Boolit Master
    Erik fixed a Modern Bond mold for me. The mold is now perfect. Quick turn around and a fair price. I would use his services again.

Boolit Mold
    Thanks for the info. I sent the mold to Erik.
    T. Brandon
    Newport, VA