Load DataLee PrecisionInline FabricationRepackbox
Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters Supply Wideners
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: During the last panic...

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by David2011 View Post
    This is not correct. A retail store can sell ammunition without a license as there is no license other than a locally issues retail sales permit. Same with reloading components. Any retailer can buy them from a wholesaler and resell just on their retail sales permit. You are correct about not being able to export ammunition or components.

Not correct. Making ammunition for hire for others requires an FFL for manufacturing ammunition and components and the $2500/year ITAR export license even if you are not exporting. Thank you Hillary Clinton and John Kerry!

Yea! A correct answer. The licensing is the same for making cast bullets as it is for making cartridges and other components or loaded ammunition. FFL+ITAR.
    Exactly my understanding. I do not think the feds make a habit of going after small guys selling a few cast boolits they have made and wind up not using, but still wouldn't make a habit of advertising over the net.

I have swapped, or given away components. Fellow is nice enough to loan you a mold the least you can do is return it with some of the cast output or something you have cast they might want to try. Sort of like the girls swapping accessories for each others outfits, or trying out a friends power equipment to see how well it does the job.

Family has gotten a box or two from time to time. Sometimes some "pretty" ones with PC coats just because they are fun to make and they find them amusing. Or lighter loads for wives or youngsters. I can't see making money on it. I have bought cast from a fellow that does exactly that, casts up thousands in bags of 500 for sale. His father had a shop so between that and gun shows maybe he made it pay for the higher end equipment he uses.

I really don't like loading for other people. I figure I'm comfortable with taking on whatever risk is associated with my own work, being responsible for the risks taken on by family and friends is less comfortable. I weigh every 5th charge for myself, every single one if going to be used by others. In a way it doesn't make sense. I'll drive with family in the car or motorhome and while I take the responsibility serious it never bothers me. Maybe because I'm right there I feel like I can "handle" whatever comes up. Someone takes a box of bullets off to the range I'm not there. IDK just feels different.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

That would be manufacturing ammo. At the very least, the feds can get you for not paying the 11% excise tax. Gun Control Act of 1968 bans the loading process you describe.

Quote Originally Posted by bob208 View Post
    yes and you can load for other people as long as they supply their own brass. then your not selling ammo.

ITAR under President William Clinton, was only a re-interpretation of part of the Gun Control Act of 1968 and imposed a license that is a yearly tax.
    It's the GCA 1968 is the law that prohibits selling your cast bullets. ITAR is a tax on licensed bullet manufactures, not the ban on selling cast bullets.
    For a while, after the passage of the GCA, it was illegal to purchase and store smokeless powder. It's the GCA that banned ownership of explosives. That was amended after an industry consortium, that included Proctor and Gamble, experimented and pointed how just how many home cleaning products were explosive by them selves or in combinations. For a while storing gasoline, such as in your cars gas tank was actually illegal.

For anyone who cares to know the history of much of this, Neal Knox's book The Gun Rights War

He also wrote most of what was going on, in Handloader magazine at the time.

Boolit Master

Here's a question for the experts: say a guy makes a bunch of bullets for himself and for whatever reason never uses them and decides to sell them. It's a one-time thing that he's not doing for profit or livelihood. Is this illegal?

Personally I don't see where it is. Same as selling reloads. If someone is selling off their old reloads for whatever reason, not making a business of it, I haven't seen where that is against the law.

Now legal liability is another story. Even if it's not illegal, it's sure not smart. If Grandpa's old reloads that you sold to your neighbor blows up his gun and he loses a couple fingers or an eye, his lawyer is going to come looking for a payout.

I've heard people scared to load for anyone else because they think it's illegal, but unless you're doing it to make a buck what you should actually be concerned about is liability.

Boolit Master

I have given people cast bullets & swaged bullets I don't sell them if they want reloads i will let them use my equipment while i watch but i do not sell them .
    When I think back on all the **** I learned in high school it's a wonder I can think at all ! And then my lack of education hasn't hurt me none I can read the writing on the wall.

Boolit Grand Master

It's kinda like machining 80% lowers. If you are involved for your own use, it's OK. Even allowing others to use your jigs or doing it for them is a NO NO. The Gov wants their unfare taxes.
    To say your only a small potato doesn't get by. They still want the big bucks and a reason to inspect.
    Information not shared. is wasted.

Boolit Master

Well I didn't sell any, buy I gave away a lot. I do have to explain some here. My neighbor works at a lumber yard/home improvement store. He whips up deals with the roofing contractors and gets all the soft lead roof caps from them. He brings them to me and I make up our boolits from them. So no I don't sell them to anyone.
    Enewetak Atomic Clean Up Veteran 1979

Boolit Buddy
    Like others I don't get enough time for myself to cast.

With the companies that have the commercial casters like the other poster said good way to starve! LOL

Rich

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12