MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingWideners
Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Repackbox Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: During the last panic...

During the last panic...

I seem to recall that even cast boolits from commercial suppliers were scarce/priced up/required a waiting list to get. Did anyone sell some of their home cast to non-casters?
    When you care enough to send the very best, send an ounce of lead.

Boolit Grand Master

Not me. I was still working during the last shortage and could just about keep up with my own needs.

Boolit Master
    I am starting to get low on WW ingots and only cast for myself and a few close friends. The products that go to friends are gifts, I will not allow them to pay me. I have never had the ambition or lead supplies to go commercial.

I just do it all up for myself no one else. Less problems that way also. SO ask me to load some up for them and I told them to get what is needed and need to be there when to load and not one took me up on it.
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Boolit Grand Master
    I believe it is illegal to sell home made cast bullets. ITAR regulation if I recall.

So if someone did, it would not be wise to post that information.
    Don Verna

In Remembrance
    I have never had the urge to sell them, but I seem to recall you have to have the proper license to do so legally anyway.

Boolit Master

Panic? What panic?
    Did I miss something?
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    I believe it is illegal to sell home made cast bullets. ITAR regulation if I recall.

So if someone did, it would not be wise to post that information.
    agree
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    I believe the guy who is in trouble for selling ammunition to the Los Vegas shooter is being held on the charge of making and selling bullets without a license.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Grand Master

Supposedly Armour Piercing bullets... It is impossible to tell just what from the news reports. Just like they examined his brain to see why he did it???? A tempest in a tea pot, full of sound and fury but signifying nothing.

Boolit Buddy
    You need a license to sell loaded ammo. You can sell components (bullets,brass,etc.) all day long. You just can't ship it out of the country.

Quote Originally Posted by Steelshooter View Post
    You need a license to sell loaded ammo. You can sell components (bullets,brass,etc.) all day long. You just can't ship it out of the country.
    Always been my understanding you can sell loaded ammo as well, you just cannot manufacture it and sell without a license.

Boolit Master
    yes and you can load for other people as long as they supply their own brass. then your not selling ammo.

Boolit Buddy
    If you are putting the components together and making loaded ammo and selling it you need a license.

Boolit Grand Master

It appears their definitions are fluid to fit the situation. If you cast, swage or make any portion of ammo for anybody else it is subject to interpretation. Discussing doing so in a public forum is risky. I personally won't even entertain the idea of selling, giving, or loaning, my handmade ammo to anyone except my son who helps me. At 76, I'd never out live the trial, let alone any time I might have to serve.
    Information not shared. is wasted.

Quote Originally Posted by mold maker View Post
    It appears their definitions are fluid to fit the situation. If you cast, swage or make any portion of ammo for anybody else it is subject to interpretation. Discussing doing so in a public forum is risky. I personally won't even entertain the idea of selling, giving, or loaning, my handmade ammo to anyone except my son who helps me. At 76, I'd never out live the trial, let alone any time I might have to serve.
    This is mostly my idle curiosity. Banging out boolits 2 at a time with my iron molds would be a great way to starve if I planned on making a profit, heh.

That is why I stated that they need to come up with the supplies and do it with me to reload that way I am only help them and it will be on them after.I am also with you brewer12345 I would not be getting a profit also for how I cast boolits .I stay how I am doing it and go from there.
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Boolit Master

I can barely justify taking the time to make bullets for myself. At times I'm money ahead to just buy ammo. Anytime OT is available at work I can make more in an hour working than I could save in several hours of making bullets. Casting is not always cost effective, and making them to sell would (for me) be a huge exercise in futility.

The only time I've sold or given away bullets in the past was if I had a bunch in a style or caliber that I no longer used, and they were too nice to go back into the pot. But then I'm not engaged in the business of selling them and it's certainly not profitable.

I've had people over the years ask me to make bullets for them, thinking it was some cheap, easy, quick way to save money. I remember a friend asking me years ago to make a couple thousand 9mm bullets for him. When I explained the process he started to get an idea of what he was really asking and understood why I wouldn't. It's kind of like asking a friend who is a mechanic to rebuild your transmission for free. I cast my own because I have always enjoyed it and had the time for myself. Nowadays I don't have so much time and enjoy it a lot less, so I've been toying with the idea of just getting out of it altogether for a couple years now.
    Last edited by fatelk; 02-11-2018 at 01:48 PM.

I don’t cast or reload for anyone but me. Not even family. If they want to get into it I have the extra to get them going. And like most not one has ever taken me up on it. I’m sure my daughter will when she moves out and wants to continue shooting.

Boolit Master

This is not correct. A retail store can sell ammunition without a license as there is no license other than a locally issues retail sales permit. Same with reloading components. Any retailer can buy them from a wholesaler and resell just on their retail sales permit. You are correct about not being able to export ammunition or components.

Quote Originally Posted by bob208 View Post
    yes and you can load for other people as long as they supply their own brass. then your not selling ammo.
    Not correct. Making ammunition for hire for others requires an FFL for manufacturing ammunition and components and the $2500/year ITAR export license even if you are not exporting. Thank you Hillary Clinton and John Kerry!

If you are putting the components together and making loaded ammo and selling it you need a license.
    Yea! A correct answer. The licensing is the same for making cast bullets as it is for making cartridges and other components or loaded ammunition. FFL+ITAR.
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast