MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionRepackboxTitan Reloading
Wideners Load Data

Thread: "The Gun is Civilization", By Maj. L. Caudill USMC (Ret.)

Boolit Master

"The Gun is Civilization", By Maj. L. Caudill USMC (Ret.)

I ran across this today. It had been a long time since it was written. I thought I would share it here at CB.GL forum since I did a search & did not see it here anywhere. It is not really political so I did not put it in that subforum, and I just could not figure out where else it might properly belong, so I am placing it here in Our Town subforum for all to see. Of course, if I placed it in the wrong place, Staff/Mods, please move it to where it best fits & please forgive the choice I made to put it here.

Here it is & I hope that most of you who may not have read it before, find it to be as good as I thought it was, when I read it for the first time.

It might be a good thing to share with those folks who do not see the ownership of firearms & the other related activities we do, like casting, & reloading, as well as shooting, in the same way that we do.

So, whether you have read it before or not, I reckon it could be considered worth reading more than once, if ya have already, & also worth passing on to others...

Here it is:

------------------------
    "The Gun is Civilization", By Maj. L. Caudill USMC (Ret.)

"Human beings only have two ways to deal with one another: reason and force. If you want me to do something for you, you have a choice of either convincing me via argument, or force me to do your bidding under threat of force. Every human interaction falls into one of those two categories, without exception. Reason or force, that's it. In a truly moral and civilized society, people exclusively interact through persuasion. Force has no place as a valid method of social interaction and the only thing that removes force from the menu is the personal firearm, as paradoxical as it may sound to some.

When I carry a gun, you cannot deal with me by force. You have to use reason and try to persuade me, because I have a way to negate your threat or employment of force. The gun is the only personal weapon that puts a 100-pound woman on equal footing with a 220-pound mugger, a 75-year old retiree on equal footing with a 19-year old gang banger, and a single guy on equal footing with a carload of drunken guys with baseball bats. The gun removes the disparity in physical strength, size, or numbers between a potential attacker and a defender.

There are plenty of people who consider the gun as the source of bad force equations. These are the people who think that we'd be more civilized if all guns were removed from society, because a firearm makes it easier for a [armed] mugger to do his job. That, of course, is only true if the mugger's potential victims are mostly disarmed either by choice or by legislative fiat -- it has no validity when most of a mugger's potential marks are armed. People who argue for the banning of arms ask for automatic rule by the young, the strong, and the many, and that's the exact opposite of a civilized society. A mugger, even an armed one, can only make a successful living in a society where the state has granted him a force monopoly.

Then there's the argument that the gun makes confrontations lethal that otherwise would only result in injury. This argument is fallacious in several ways. Without guns involved, confrontations are won by the physically superior party inflicting overwhelming injury on the loser.

People who think that fists, bats, sticks, or stones don't constitute lethal force, watch too much TV, where people take beatings and come out of it with a bloody lip at worst. The fact that the gun makes lethal force easier works solely in favor of the weaker defender, not the stronger attacker. If both are armed, the field is level. The gun is the only weapon that's as lethal in the hands of an octogenarian as it is in the hands of a weight lifter. It simply wouldn't work as well as a force equalizer if it wasn't both lethal and easily employable.
    When I carry a gun, I don't do so because I am looking for a fight, but because I'm looking to be left alone. The gun at my side means that I cannot be forced, only persuaded. I don't carry it because I'm afraid, but because it enables me to be unafraid. It doesn't limit the actions of those who would interact with me through reason, only the actions of those who would do so by force. It removes force from the equation...

And that's why carrying a gun is a civilized act."

By Maj. L. Caudill, USMC (Ret.)

------------------------------------------------------
    Source: http://www.virtualtacticalacademy.co...vilization.pdf
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Should be sent to every politician in the U.S.
    Whatever!

I have read this before, and the author's logic and conclusions are flawless. Everyone should read it.

Boolit Master

Good read
    Pro Patria-Ne Desit Virtus

Moderator Emeritus

What a great essay.
    I wanted to learn a bit more about Maj. L. Caudill USMC (Ret.)
    But it appears he doesn't exist.

As I was searching the web for Maj. L. Caudill USMC (Ret.), I couldn't find anything about him, except for re-postings of this essay, and while most did attribute it to Maj. L. Caudill USMC (Ret.), it appears to have been done incorrectly so. Comments at Reddit and MCSM (.org) pointed me in the direction of writter/blogger/author Marko Kloos, written on March 23, 2007.

https://munchkinwrangler.wordpress.c...-civilization/
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Grand Master

Great read. Thanks

Kloos's web page is interesting. Anyway this fits well with JBinMn's other post of quotes.
    Whatever!