MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionLoad Data
Titan ReloadingInline FabricationSnyders JerkyReloading Everything
Repackbox Wideners

Thread: 12 gauge hollow base sabot ???

Boolit Mold

12 gauge hollow base sabot ???

Hi, I am new here and have some questions for you salts. I just bought a Lyman sabot mold (hollow base) I have never cast any bullets, I am familair with lead and alloys since I am a master plumber, I would like to be a little prepared before I jump into it, any tips would be very much appreciated? The hollow base is what I am questioning on getting the best results??? Thanks in advance
    Turkey Slayer

Hi and welcome!

Clean the mould up real well with acsetone. Lube the pins with "Bull Plate" (sold here) Start with HOT lead/alloy. It can take a quite a few boolits to get the base pin up to temp but once it is hot it will slide out like butter. Remove it before opening the mould.

I have to get mine good and hot

Watch the little screw that the base pin is held in by, it can begin to loosen as you remove and reinstall the base pin..this will make your slugs a different weight.

Boolit Grand Master

I don't have that hollow base mould but I have the Lyman 12 ga. Foster mould and I have had several other hollow base moulds over the years. All have required casting to be hotter than usual.

Not sure about that base pin but maybe use some Bullplate lube or smoke it to make sure it releases easy.

Cast fast and keep it hot.

Longbow

Boolit Mold
    I knew you Salty ones were the ones to ask, thanks for the speedy replys and warm welcome. You guys have a world of knowledge here and thanks for the great site. Will post results and pics when they cool down. Thanks again!!!!!
    Turkey Slayer

turkey slayer
    you are in the right job for casting. plumbershave ready scorce of soft lead use the plumbers lead as is also old showersthat were poired contricthat used sheet lead for the form

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE

crime dont pay as will as politics