RepackboxRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingWideners
Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load Data Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best bullet puller for cast bullets ?

Best bullet puller for cast bullets ?

Looking for a bullet puller for some .45 Colt hard cast rounds. Looked about and found the RCBS collet puller. Got great reviews on Mindway but it's been suggested that a collet puller may be sub-optimal for cast bullets. Not sure why?

Boolit Grand Master

Because lead is slicker than brass and compresses so the collet can't hold onto the bullet.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Buddy

The hammer style impact pullers work fine.

Moderator Emeritus

Just as Larry says, they don't grab the boolit well enough.
    >>> I've attempted to use a RCBS collet puller for cast, sometimes it "kind of works" on small caliber Rifle boolits, but almost never works are larger diameter bullets. I use the Lyman inertia (hammer style) bullet puller for cast, of all the hammer style pullers, it seemed that Lyman's is built a little better, and I've pulled hundreds with it so far.

BUT, you can just get by, by using a reloading press. Remove the die, put the shell holder in the ram, and insert the cartridge, raise the ram so the boolit is through the die hole, Grab the boolit with a "grippy" pliers of some sort, then lower the ram....PULLED !
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Grand Master

Jon B posted while I was typing but this is what I do also! I've had the RCBS for years. It only works marginally well on pistol bullets. I doubt that any of the other collet pullers would work any better. I pull pistol bullets with a pair of linemans pliers using my press for leverage. This damages the bullet but my pulled bullets get remelted anyway. Cut a piece of 1-1/2 inch pipe about 1-1/2 inches long. PVC will work. Install the correct size shell holder in the ram on your press. Slip the piece of pipe over the ram, put the cartridge in the shell holder, raise the ram, grab the bullet with the pliers, lower the ram and the bullet is out. On taller cartridges you can use the top of the press but don't put the nose of the pliers down into the threads. The pliers are harder than the press material and will damage the threads.

Boolit Master

depends if you want to save the bullets

mount shellplate in press, cartridge in shellplate

put PVC straight coupling over cartridge (has to be taller than top of cartridge)

raise till bullet is showing

use electrical crimping tool at the stripper section of it to grab onto bullet--it bites into the lead rendering the bullet useless

lower the ram and the bullet is pulled

here is a pic of crimping too: https://www.delcity.net/store/Crimp-...hoCCYUQAvD_BwE
    NRA Life
    USPSA L1314
    SASS Life 48747
    RVN/Cambodia War Games, 2nd Place

Boolit Master
    Here is a little trick I learned from accidentally mistaking a 9mm sizing die as a 9mm FCD with post sizing ring.

If you are going to melt down the boolits after you pull them, remove the de-capping rod from your size die and run the cartridges into the die just far enough to cover how deep the boolits are seated.

This totally relaxes the neck tension because the brass springs back. After doing this you should be able to pull the boolits almost effortlessly.

I recently had to do this with some 500s I loaded (powder coated cast) that I simply could not get to budge using my kenitic puller.

Yes this method ruins the boolits but I'd be hesitant re-using pulled cast boolits anyway. Oh yeah it doesn't hurt the brass or the die.

Motor

I'd prefer to remove the bullets for reuse, if possible.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by jski View Post
    Looking for a bullet puller for some .45 Colt hard cast rounds. Looked about and found the RCBS collet puller. Got great reviews on Mindway but it's been suggested that a collet puller may be sub-optimal for cast bullets. Not sure why?
    I had to pull a bunch of 454190 bullets, and used an RCBS inertia puller to start the process until there was enough of the bullet's straight shank showing that the collet puller could grip.
    The bullets were then re-usable, and there was no loose powder to mess with.
    An extra step in the process, but being a frugal type, I hate wasting/damaging stuff.

Someone recommended: https://grip-n-pull.com/

Anyone with experience with this product?
    Last edited by jski; 02-11-2018 at 02:47 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    Just like DaveF, I use a RCBS inertia bullet puller as well for my boo-boo's and find that it works very well. I clean the powder and lube off the bullet and relube. The key take away here is to NOT have to pull loads apart but "stuff" happens.

Boolit Master

I have the Hornady collet type puller, and use the pulled boolits for plinking/practice.
    Lead Forever!

The 2nd amendment was never intended to allow private citizens to 'keep and bear arms.' If it had, there would have been wording such as 'the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed. -Ken Konecki, July 27, 1992

John Galt was here.

"Politics is the art of postponing an answer until it is no longer relevant". (From the movie 'Red Tails')

Boolit Master
    The rcbs hammer type puller works fine for cast bullets and if you want to try to reuse them just put a cotton ball down in puller before the round. This acts as padding so the bullet won't get deformed.

Just read the RCBS info sheet for their collet bullet puller. It explicitly states not to use it with lead cast bullets.

According to Reloading Addict: The Hornady Cam-Lock puller
    is the superior choice for recovering cast lead bullets or bullets seated with a factory crimp. Hammer type bullet pullers can damage some types of bullets, but the Hornady Cam-Lock provides a mechanically superior choice that is both easier to use, and does a better job at bullet pulling. If you have a lot of bullets to pull, stubborn bullets, or need the mechanical advantages that come from using a press, this is the absolute top bullet puller out there.
    Don't know if you guys agree?

Boolit Buddy
    Hs anybody used the Forester Cam-Lock ?
    No word about not for lead/ cast bullets.

https://www.forsterproducts.com/pdf/..._%20BP1010.pdf

Boolit Buddy
    My Hornady Cam-Lock puller does not work at all on .357 cast stuff but I haven't tried it on 45. As mentioned above, inertia puller with a cotton ball in the bottom if you want to reuse the bullet. Otherwise I use the pliers and press method.

Mike

Ended up going with the Lyman inertia bullet puller. And here's some very useful information to have with it: https://youtu.be/vLcxqisS7KA
    Last edited by jski; 02-12-2018 at 02:21 AM.

Boolit Master

I use the RCBS and though I have to crank pretty hard sometimes, the only boolit it failed to pull was just last night. I aws pulling some old dummy rounds that crimp really tight and a Keith style boolit just deformed. Another trick I've used with good success is using a collet one caliber smaller than what I'm pulling. Saving boolits for reuse is a very rare occurrence.
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same......." - Ronald Reagan

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived." - George Patton

The second amendment is a nail on which hangs a picture of freedom - member Alex 4x4 Tver, Russia

Moderator Emeritus

Another hint when using a hammer style inertia bullet puller, is to hit the puller onto another hammer/mallet, instead of a fixed surface (I use a large rawhide mallet). Besides not making any noise, it's not as hard on the puller.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast