RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders JerkyInline FabricationLoad DataTitan Reloading
Wideners Repackbox
Page 67 of 361 FirstFirst ... 17575859606162636465666768697071727374757677117167 ... LastLast
Results 1,321 to 1,340 of 7211

Thread: Making that Bullet Collator

Boolit Mold
    Hey Tyler,

For your mount that you use what are the screw sizes? I'm going to mount it on a metal post to my bench I'm thinking. Thank you so much for all that you've done. I have the original one running but going to give yours a shot and probably replace the smaller one with yours.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael303 View Post
    I've got a few of these posted now and will try to get more up there shortly.

https://www.thingiverse.com/michael303/designs

Awesome thank you so much, I'm really interested in your drop tube as well. Looks beautiful compared to what I have.

Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by mynameis940 View Post
    Hey Tyler,

For your mount that you use what are the screw sizes? I'm going to mount it on a metal post to my bench I'm thinking. Thank you so much for all that you've done. I have the original one running but going to give yours a shot and probably replace the smaller one with yours.
    The post mount uses a 3/8" x 2" bolt with two washers and a lock nut. The new dillon one I just posted was designed for a 3/8" x 1" bolt with one washer and a lock nut.
    For connecting the mount to the feeder I believe I used #6 screws.

Quote Originally Posted by lablover View Post
    Glad I got the two rolls of filament. Hahahaha
    I saw you post and went and grabbed two rolls. lol

Quote Originally Posted by TylerR View Post
    I saw you post and went and grabbed two rolls. lol
    Hahahahaha. I’m gonna grab another

Boolit Mold
    Hey Tyler, so I tested the print with 9mm and it’s turning over all bullets. So if they’re in the correct orientation it’s turning them nose down, if they’re nose down it turns them the right way. I printed the small nose up plate. Do you push yours all the way in like in the video you posted for the 45 or do you have it part way out? For my small set up I have it pulled out part way for it to work properly.

Hey Tyler, so I tested the print with 9mm and it’s turning over all bullets. So if they’re in the correct orientation it’s turning them nose down, if they’re nose down it turns them the right way. I printed the small nose up plate. Do you push yours all the way in like in the video you posted for the 45 or do you have it part way out? For my small set up I have it pulled out part way for it to work properly.
    Which collator plate did you print?
    Most likely you do not have the feeder at a steep enough angle. If you can post a video that would help as well.

Pulling it out slightly would compensate for too shallow an angle so that's probably what it is. also what bullets are you using?
    Last edited by TylerR; 10-08-2020 at 10:33 PM.

Boolit Mold
    Which collator plate did you print?
    Most likely you do not have the feeder at a steep enough angle. If you can post a video that would help as well.

Pulling it out slightly would compensate for too shallow an angle so that's probably what it is. also what bullets are you using?
    I'm using kimberlin creek 125 gr TC projectiles. I did a 9mm collator plate, i put the feeder on a 45 degree angle. I just tested it on like a 70 degree angle and it seems to work fine there. What angle do you have yours on?

I'm using kimberlin creek 125 gr TC projectiles. I did a 9mm collator plate, i put the feeder on a 45 degree angle. I just tested it on like a 70 degree angle and it seems to work fine there. What angle do you have yours on?
    70 degree angle would be extreme.
    Do those have a beveled base? If so, that would contribute to the issue, and you may need to run it pulled out slightly. The plates all have a hole for a set screw just for that purpose.

Boolit Mold
    70 degree angle would be extreme.
    Do those have a beveled base? If so, that would contribute to the issue, and you may need to run it pulled out slightly. The plates all have a hole for a set screw just for that purpose.
    Yeah they're beveled, that makes sense. Thank you. Do you think the turning plates will work with 223 projectiles at all?

Yeah they're beveled, that makes sense. Thank you. Do you think the turning plates will work with 223 projectiles at all?
    Everything that I have pre-packaged as far as collator plates and slides is for pistol brass and bullets. I have not worked on or tested anything else.
    Even just with pistol there are so many variations that no one solution is going to work for every situation. Like beveled bases, or running semi/full wadcutters and such. That being said, I am looking at maybe moving the ridge out slightly to account for a small bevel on the base. If I go too far then semi wadcutters won't work. lol

In theory the slides will work with rifle rounds yes, but you have to use the collator generator to generate a plate that fits the caliber and then place the slide in the correct position. I am trying to take the guess work out of it by creating plates and slides that match up, but the flexibility is there to get most any combination to work if you are willing to fiddle around with it.

Funny enough, I just got my new lyman #356637 9mm 147 gr flat nose bevel base mold this week. Looks like I need to do some casting and bevel base boolit testing. haha

I measured the bevel on my new 9mm mold and it is measuring at 8mm. I am going to move the ridge out 1mm. I believe this will allow them to handle most bevels yet still be 100% reliable catching the nose down ones. Printing one now and then going to do some casting to test some out.

Beveled bases in Rifle bullets are useful for a few instances......but why the need for them in slow velocity 9mm pistol boolits? Or is it just a plot against people who want to collate and feed pistol bullets in a progressive press?

ADMIN

Quote Originally Posted by GWS View Post
    Beveled bases in Rifle bullets is useful for a few instances......but why the need for them in slow velocity 9mm pistol boolits? Or is it just a plot against people who want to collate pistol bullets.
    makes them easier to load on progressive presses with bullet feeders.
    All my cast boolits have bevel bases
    Don't like being hammered by the Cast Boolits Staff, then don't be a nail.
    The rules are simple to follow.

Beveled bases in Rifle bullets are useful for a few instances......but why the need for them in slow velocity 9mm pistol boolits? Or is it just a plot against people who want to collate and feed pistol bullets in a progressive press?
    Haha. Well there are reasons DAA MBF says they do not support cast bullets. Beveled bases is probably one of them.

This mold is the first beveled base I will own. As Hatch said, should make loading them easier, but I just bought it because I wanted a lyman 147 gr 9mm mold and that's what they have

Edited: I guess I am wrong about MBF and cast bullets. I thought I had read that they didn't support them, but then looked on their website and it says they do.

https://www.doublealpha.biz/us/suppo...feeder-general
    Last edited by TylerR; 10-09-2020 at 11:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by HATCH View Post
    makes them easier to load on progressive presses with bullet feeders.
    All my cast boolits have bevel bases
    Do you mind me asking, what feeder do you use and are there any adjustments you had to make for bevels, or does it just work?

Interesting.....guess that's superior to beveling the heck out of cases on the progressive to load boolits. Glad to see Hatch is watching over this thread again.....awesome, useful thread, that like the energizer bunny, just keeps going! (and giving)

It's expensive tho.....I just keep spending......

How far out do you have to pull it to get it to work? I posted a new version with an additional 1mm of ridge that appear to be handling my beveled base 9mm rounds well. If you want to test it out, I posted new versions of the files. So you would need to reprint the small nose up slide.

Interesting.....guess that's superior to beveling the heck out of cases on the progressive to load boolits. Glad to see Hatch is watching over this thread again.....awesome, useful thread, that like the energizer bunny, just keeps going! (and giving)

It's expensive tho.....I just keep spending......
    No GWS, you cast and reload to save money remember.......

Page 67 of 361 FirstFirst ... 17575859606162636465666768697071727374757677117167 ... LastLast