Load DataTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingRepackbox
Wideners
Page 40 of 358 FirstFirst ... 30313233343536373839404142434445464748495090140 ... LastLast

Thread: Making that Bullet Collator

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by Red_Fir_Smoke View Post
    Sooo....
    I realize no one wants to stick their neck out but is there a member here, of the legal profession that has an opinion?
    Technically the patent is on the ramp? If the body was remixed without the ramp would it satisfy the patent office as to its uniqueness?
    Possibly.....but it also wouldn't work. The ramp is what flips the bullets to the proper orientation.

And technically everything but the ramp is in the public domain? so feeder adapters, collator plates, mounts, spring adapters could be printed, ( and more importantly; posted!)?
    Yeah....and almost all of that stuff is still available. Some items were aggregated in to the original download but they can still be found individually.

And further while there is talk of rejigging patent and copyright laws to complement each other, to the best of my knowledge those changes have not been enacted yet?
    And since MBF has not written .STL files for their product (And indeed the ones in question are already published under a commons license so an effort to cover this avenue by MBF would be a copyright violation!) the dissemination of said files and the execution of these files in a not for profit fashion, is no more unlawful than a gunsmith fashioning an AR for his personal satisfaction?
    It seems like far less of an imposition on law than an 80% receiver....
    No clue. It would seem like this would be the case, but when it comes to things like this the copyright and patent laws are not really executed "fairly". You have to prove your innocence.

IANAL, but it seems that DAA's patent applies to this design when used in home reloading. From my understanding the DAA MBF is substantially similar to a ton of other devices in how it operates, including bullet collators used in the ammo production industry.

I would be willing to wager that their patent could be successfully challenged. But......

And finally has anyone considered setting up a Kickstarter specifically to defend AmmoMikes rights as an author?
    You need to realize that such a challenge would probably be $300K to start and according to my sources average $600K-$750K for smaller claims and the cost just goes up from there, and I sincerely doubt that AmmoMike has the free time and energy to devote to something like that on principle alone. It is a massive undertaking. Years in court. And DAA has the benefit of having somewhat deep pockets. I don't know what AmmoMike does for a living, but chances are somewhat good that DAA has a wee bit bigger bank account than he does. I could be wrong. He could be independently wealthy. But cease and desist letters work because there is the underlying threat of "We will keep you tied up in court until you are completely broke and destitute" behind them. Not that this is right and just, it is just the way that it is.

I briefly discussed the issue with my lawyer and he thought that there would be a pretty good case to be made that there is prior art and also that the patenting of a simple ramp would probably be an easy patent to break but that it would cost too much for anyone sane to attempt it just out of principle.

DAA are kind of jerks. I would never buy their products based on their reputation as to how they conduct themselves in situations like these. But I would be willing to wager that what got their feathers ruffles was that someone was printing and selling the design. If not for that it may have flown under the radar, or at least would have for a while longer.

TL;DR, it is my opinion that their patent is probably ******** but it would cost way too much to fight them on it.

Just thinking out loud here, but, couldn't one design a gear type flipper that is timed with the collator plate, so at the right place one of the cogs goes and flips the bullet? That would eliminate their bs patent, no? Take a little davinci type of a mechanism, but I think it could work, and you'd need a gear and cog to match plate spacing and bullet size.

Now for what I came here for, it looks unlikely, but, is there a motor that fits that comes pre pinned?

Also, I am done buying from daa. Bunch of *******es

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by nhyrum; 02-19-2020 at 10:26 PM.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by nhyrum View Post
    Just thinking out loud here, but, couldn't one design a gear type flipper that is timed with the collator plate, so at the right place one of the cogs goes and flips the bullet? That would eliminate their bs patent, no? Take a little davinci type of a mechanism, but I think it could work, and you'd need a gear and cog to match plate spacing and bullet size.
    How would you make sure that it only flipped bullets that needed flipped? And flipped them without flipping them out of the collator plate, etc?

I've considered some sort of mechanism that would basically dump out any bullets that are not the correct side up to set them for re-run. Just not sure how to go about it. It would be easy enough to dump them off in to a catch container, but how to recycle?

Boolit Mold
    Well.....
    Just to be simplistic about it the ramp could be eliminated, as long as the rest of the collator could be printed, with a bypass so the bullets all fell nose down, then the simple kinetic bullet flipper ( as per jmorrismetal!) could be added inline to flip them nose up, sort of the nose down flipper used in reverse........ viola' no ramp required!
    A second drop spout to take the bullets that naturally fall into a nose up position in the collator wheel y'd together above the light switch......

Quote Originally Posted by John3354 View Post
    How would you make sure that it only flipped bullets that needed flipped? And flipped them without flipping them out of the collator plate, etc?

I've considered some sort of mechanism that would basically dump out any bullets that are not the correct side up to set them for re-run. Just not sure how to go about it. It would be easy enough to dump them off in to a catch container, but how to recycle?
    If the cogs only hit only the point of the bullet (say have a channel so if they're point down they sit lower, and if it was a gear that was as long as the ramp, you could flip only the ones that needed being flipped. Everything would have to be geared together

Boolit Mold
    Well.....
    Just to be simplistic about it the ramp could be eliminated, as long as the rest of the collator could be printed, with a bypass so the bullets all fell nose down, then the simple kinetic bullet flipper ( as per jmorrismetal!) could be added inline to flip them nose up, sort of the nose down flipper used in reverse........ viola' no ramp required!
    A second drop spout to take the bullets that naturally fall into a nose up position in the collator wheel y'd together above the light switch......

Boolit Mold
    What was the latest version of the file on Tingiverse before it was taken down? I have a copy but I do not think it is the latest. Mine are marked bf_v2 and dated Jan 25th 2019

Boolit Mold
    That is the same version that I have, and I downloaded my version less than a month before they were taken down. You likely have the latest version.

Boolit Mold
    As for ways around the BS ramp patent, I wonder if we could take care of it just by adjusting the angle of the collator and the thickness of the plate? In theory, you could find a height for the collator plate that at a given angle base down bullets would continue on to the drop tube and base up bullets would fall off. Basically the collator plate would only be thick enough to be just barely past the center of gravity of a given bullet design and by nature of them being very base heavy any that are inverted should fall off.

Simple enough, no? I am tempted to print up some 9mm test plates and give it a try.

There is also the option of removing the ramp part of the design and letting the end user figure that part out for themselves. Bend a piece of wire and put it in place, cut out a piece of wood and glue it in, print another piece, etc.

Boolit Mold
    Thank you for the info, I am going to start printing one this weekend to go on my Dillon 550

Boolit Bub
    Where did you get your motor from?

Boolit Bub
    Can you send me the link and part# you used for that motor?

Boolit Bub
    Thank you

Boolit Bub
    Has anyone increased the height of the Ammo Mike Bullet Feeder so it can hold more bullets? I tried to increase the height in cura by 20% but don't think that will work as it will increase everything on the z axis by 20% and not just the collar? Thoughts?

Boolit Mold
    I am envisioning a simple way to tell which way the bullet falls from the feeder. If each bullet came down the tube and came to rest on a stop that was a tube the same size as the base of the bullet, you could measure the height of the bullet with two optical sensors. If the bullet was base down it would be taller resting on the tube. The tube being hollow would allow the bullet that was nose down being lower. Based on which way the bullet was facing it could be sorted mechanically as being base down or nose down. Flip which ever ones you want based on how you want them presented. The only key to making this work would be you would need to regulate each bullet dropped as to not have 2 stacked on each other for the compare. Even SWC could be sorted this way. Change bullets for the same size and you would just have to change the optical sensors. It might even be possible to use a Raspberry PI and a camera module to look at a bullet and determine its orientation. It would be a fun project, it I just had more time to explore it. For now, I printed from the files that I found on the internet and it is sorting my 9mm bullets just fine.

Boolit Buddy

Was wondering if anyone had the drop tube files. I only have bf_v2_drop_tube_switch_small_id10mm_large_spring. I thought I grabbed all of the files, but I guess I did not. Or if someone could send me a zip of all the files, it would be appreciated.
    Last edited by j_dude77; 03-31-2020 at 02:26 AM.

Vendor Sponsor

Hey Guys,

I need you to change direction a bit..... I (like you all) have been loading bullets till I'm almost blue in the face for the last 2 weeks. HOWEVER, there is something that those of us with 3D printers can do, to help hospitals be safer. Face Shields!!! I'm active on a FB group that is pulling together, many of us are pooliing our resourses and making 100's of these to help keep medical staff safe.

Please consider taking some time out from your busy schedules to make frames... I have 2 printers going 24-7, to help these folks stay safe!

Here is a link to my group:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/308667056761036/

Someone needs to build the thingiverse files into a torrent for all of us to share... just sayin.

Boolit Mold
    So I am assuming one can no longer get the files to build this. My head is spinning trying to read it all. I was really hoping to build one to feed my new 750.

Boolit Master

My need is to to feed my Star lube sizer. Looked at it last year bef ore my move and they closed it down. Would still love to assemble one after I get done with an induction annealer.
    Last edited by Greg S; 04-10-2020 at 06:26 AM.

Page 40 of 358 FirstFirst ... 30313233343536373839404142434445464748495090140 ... LastLast