MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Load DataTitan Reloading
Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingRepackboxLee Precision
Wideners Inline Fabrication

Thread: Making that Bullet Collator

Boolit Bub
    You mean press #2, LOLClick image for larger version. 

Name:	leesppresize.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	27.5 KB 
ID:	323213

That's funny! Almost identical twins even the pink mat! Pink goes with red even worse than with the blue.....

What is super cool about the Norwegian's bullet dropper is it's stationary and the moving slide comes up to meet it.....so you don't have to have that long moving spring tube. I think I'm going to like it, even though my clear tube sliding inside another clear tube works quite well.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by GWS View Post
    That's funny! Almost identical twins even the pink mat! Pink goes with red even worse than with the blue.....

What is super cool about the Norwegian's bullet dropper is it's stationary and the moving slide comes up to meet it.....so you don't have to have that long moving spring tube. I think I'm going to like it, even though my clear tube sliding inside another clear tube works quite well.
    I'l llet ya test it out for a while. I got the 750 due to the SPP having the ram separate from the plate carrier. Lee was absolutely awesome and sent me a new one plus a couple of other part. Just waiting on my inline fab stuff to show up so I can swap presses when I want or need to. The SPP did a solid 10k rounds before the split with no issues. I'm going to build a round counter for it and track it's lifespan also.

Boolit Mold
    Tyler, bought the file and printed this out. so far worked on 5.56 and 9mm. it's very quick to adjust for case length. Now, if someone built a mounting bracket to use it on The APP/ACP.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by 00DAR View Post
    Tyler, bought the file and printed this out. so far worked on 5.56 and 9mm. it's very quick to adjust for case length. Now, if someone built a mounting bracket to use it on The APP/ACP.
    Don't think it would work on an app because the slider doesn't move up and down to trigger it.

Quote Originally Posted by 00DAR View Post
    I don't need it for the APP.....got TylerR's quick change system......for the moving feeder on the 6000 it's pretty useful, but I have mine fixed up also with the Quick Change and it works just as good.....I bought the Norwegian product out of curiosity.....and it is a good option too, but there's nothing wrong with the quick change, and I think it still is faster to change calibers....and it works for APP too.

Last edited by GWS; 02-09-2024 at 11:58 PM.

The whole concept behind the quick change is you swap one part and your done. I love the design behind the "Universal case dropper for Lee Six Pack Pro", it is very well thought out, but it still has the same flaw of having to make adjustments for every caliber change. I want to just swap and go.

Quote Originally Posted by TylerR View Post
    The whole concept behind the quick change is you swap one part and your done. I love the design behind the "Universal case dropper for Lee Six Pack Pro", it is very well thought out, but it still has the same flaw of having to make adjustments for every caliber change. I want to just swap and go.
    Exactly! On the 6000, using thin wall 15mm ID/16mm OD tubing from the prox sensor to the support part, plugging into the frame's front hole, I can insert Lee's 9/16" tubing that comes on their 4 ways and 5 ways inside the caliber supports below and the prox outlet above. Just need to inside-bevel at the top edge of that Lee tubing, with a case deburr/beveling tool, so cases don't hang.....then I can drop most any case into the quick change without adjusting for case length. So far I feed 9mm to .308 that way, just by lifting out 3 parts, changing only the caliber insert to another caliber, then dropping them back in....per caliber change: (takes as long as this video)

I actually used 1/2" tubing in that .223 version with a 3/4" long 9/16" tube glued to the top (both beveled tops), but most calibers will just use the 9/16" Lee tube alone.

Using the same APP inserts, but the insert holder has to be a little longer than the APP one.

Uxcell link below provides the clear tube that slides over the standard Lee 9/16" OD tube and works to couple this to a collator.

Videos were tests, using Ammo Mikes little collator, and my old prox housing.....but I will redo this to use Tyler's parts....its just what I had handy that day. Time to upgrade to TylerR's standard parts.....

TylerR, you ought to think about that 6000 press to add to your bench.....You can't have too many progressives and a 6 holer really comes in handy! (says the tempter....)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Last edited by GWS; 02-10-2024 at 11:01 AM.

Boolit Buddy
    I read the manual and was a little confused about what part to use to attach to the nose down slide plates. On the slide plate page there is part B brass x drop hole for up down brass slide plates. On the collator main body page there is part F drop hole adapter to screw to the body. It says nothing about the slide plate.

I am using the collator for nose down bullet feeding into a flex spring and then into a clear feed tube to feed the lee app for bullet sizing. I have purchased a 6.50 dollar proximity sensor that is squarish in shape but works well in testing. I plan to make a print that will hold it right at the top of the clear tubing.

I just didn’t know what part screwed to the NDB slide plate that I could put a spring into. I would assume the part F from the collator main body page might work and then a fitting that goes into that which would attactch to the spring.

Boolit Buddy
    I printed the drop hole adapter and it looks like the holes line up so that’s what I will use.
    Oh by the way, I was able to modify the #5 bullet plate to take advantage of some of the botched together collator I made before I had a 3d printer. I printed a bullet plate ring and turned down my ppe plates to fit in the middle. It saved me a lot of time on the printer. I call them my hybrid plates. I know I don’t get a clutch with them but I haven’t had one up to now so I don’t know what I’m missing yet.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0349.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	54.9 KB 
ID:	323314Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0348.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	51.8 KB 
ID:	323315
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0346.jpeg   IMG_0347.jpeg  

Boolit Bub
    Dear Team !
    What are the benefits of the APP_Base_Slide_Long.stl compared to APP_Base_Slide.stl ?
    Best Regards
    ///Roger

Quote Originally Posted by flybyjohn View Post
    I read the manual and was a little confused about what part to use to attach to the nose down slide plates. On the slide plate page there is part B brass x drop hole for up down brass slide plates. On the collator main body page there is part F drop hole adapter to screw to the body. It says nothing about the slide plate.

I am using the collator for nose down bullet feeding into a flex spring and then into a clear feed tube to feed the lee app for bullet sizing. I have purchased a 6.50 dollar proximity sensor that is squarish in shape but works well in testing. I plan to make a print that will hold it right at the top of the clear tubing.

I just didn’t know what part screwed to the NDB slide plate that I could put a spring into. I would assume the part F from the collator main body page might work and then a fitting that goes into that which would attactch to the spring.
    Either of these:
    https://github.com/BF556/Feeder/blob...le_Adapter.stl

https://github.com/BF556/Feeder/blob...gled_Slide.stl

Quote Originally Posted by rogerandre View Post
    Dear Team !
    What are the benefits of the APP_Base_Slide_Long.stl compared to APP_Base_Slide.stl ?
    Best Regards
    ///Roger
    The tab that pushes the case is longer. Best used for small rifle caliber's like .223.

Boolit Bub
    The tab that pushes the case is longer. Best used for small rifle caliber's like .223.
    Makes sense. Long or short for 9 mm ?

Makes sense. Long or short for 9 mm ?
    Go with the short for pistol rounds.

Boolit Mold
    Yes, I have the Tyler R setup printed in every caliber I load for. one base stays on the APP one used to stay on the 6000. BUT I still have that odd time when it drops two or more rifle cases. Never happens in pistol brass but does for me on rifle brass.

Pay attention on which calibers are guilty and post a picture of that caliber's insert that you are using. I had that happen when rifle inserts allowed sideways movement of the cases when they hit the shuttle slide.....that's why I changed the side cutouts on some of them to keep the necks in place as long as possible. These two videos demonstrate the difference....first one with cutout to the center line ....second video cutout only in the forward direction.

The picture below illustrates the difference .....stock one is cut from the bottom center line....modified one on the right, forces the case to go out the front only.

Last edited by GWS; 02-11-2024 at 10:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GWS View Post
    The picture below illustrates the difference .....stock one is cut from the bottom center line....modified one on the right, forces the case to go out the front only.

All of the rifle inserts on github at this point are your contoured ones GWS. Except the 6.5mm.

Boolit Bub
    All of the rifle inserts on github at this point are your contoured ones GWS. Except the 6.5mm.
    Huge thanks for the excellent feedback !
    Only thing is that I of course shoot 6.5x55 Swedish, that we all know is the Queen of all calibers .

Huge thanks for the excellent feedback !
    Only thing is that I of course shoot 6.5x55 Swedish, that we all know is the Queen of all calibers .
    Haha, well shoot. I may need to recruit GWS to do his excellent work on that insert. Also noticed the 7.62x39 brass insert is not contoured as well.