RepackboxLoad DataWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Lee Precision
Page 18 of 358 FirstFirst ... 891011121314151617181920212223242526272868118 ... LastLast

Thread: Making that Bullet Collator

Boolit Buddy

Making that Bullet Collator

Quote Originally Posted by jmorris View Post
    Thanks, I think I have this one about done.

The drop tube I printed off didn’t fit the switch I had and wasn’t sure how I was going to attach it to the feed die I am using for these bullets.

So I just took a couple more pieces of plastic and milled a slot for the switch arm, a pocket for the body and a groove for a zip tie tohold it there. Then some clear tube to attach it to the part that is a press fit onto the Hornady feed die.
    Nice work, Joe! There are different drop tubes for these kind of switches. They are marked as „switch big“ they fit. I made them for Mark 2 or 3 weeks ago.

Sarcasm: the ability to insult idiots without them realize it.

I did see the others just didn’t see any dimensions for the switch. I was finishing up an 80% 9mm plate anyway so I just machined the parts and I needed to attach to the Hornady die then be tall enough so the spring I have can make it to the collator.

Much better part with the change in settings.

https://ibb.co/cKiYSx

Boolit Buddy
    Much better part with the change in settings.

https://ibb.co/cKiYSx
    I agree! What did you change?

Infill to 80%, bed temp to 70 and nozzle to 200.

Boolit Buddy
    Infill to 80%, bed temp to 70 and nozzle to 200.
    I'm looking forward to the video!

I just printed off a blank nose guide so I can machine it so the depth tapers off towards the drop hole. These bullets are not only short but hollow base as well so when they lay down the deep ledge pulls them out of the plate completely.

It would already be working great with any normal bullet. Great job and thank you again!

Boolit Buddy
    I just printed off a blank nose guide so I can machine it so the depth tapers off towards the drop hole. These bullets are not only short but hollow base as well so when they lay down the deep ledge pulls them out of the plate completely.

It would already be working great with any normal bullet. Great job and thank you again!
    My pleasure! If you have finished your design for your special boolits would you send me the measurements please?

Boolit Bub
    Here is the spring housing I am using, it works great with the MBF spring.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark2215 View Post
    Thanks. Will look at it tomorrow!

Quote Originally Posted by AmmoMike83 View Post
    My pleasure! If you have finished your design for your special boolits would you send me the measurements please?

Absolutely, I was going to try and do it this evening but didn’t get a chance might be able to get out in the shop to do it Monday.

I think, having it the “standard” .100” depth on the spring loaded flipper side and taper to nothing/zero ledge by the time it gets to the ramp/hole side, will lay the bullets down but not have them fall out of the plate.

If that makes sense and isn’t too difficult, I’d print it and test it if you felt like creating it. If not I already have a “blank” printed and can mill it next week.

Boolit Buddy
    Absolutely, I was going to try and do it this evening but didn’t get a chance might be able to get out in the shop to do it Monday.

I think, having it the “standard” .100” depth on the spring loaded flipper side and taper to nothing/zero ledge by the time it gets to the ramp/hole side, will lay the bullets down but not have them fall out of the plate.

If that makes sense and isn’t too difficult, I’d print it and test it if you felt like creating it. If not I already have a “blank” printed and can mill it next week.
    Sure. I am on a trip with my kids. Could you make some drawings please?

It’s one of those things that easier todo than draw. Looks like I am out of storage room for photos here but like this.

https://ibb.co/crZkc7

So it can grab the nose of the bullet to lay it down but as soon as it starts it begins to taper off, reducing the tendency to pull the bullet out of the plate.

Did a quick test and it looks like it solved the problem. Outof time top,ay with it forthe weekend though.

Boolit Buddy
    It’s one of those things that easier todo than draw. Looks like I am out of storage room for photos here but like this.

https://ibb.co/crZkc7

So it can grab the nose of the bullet to lay it down but as soon as it starts it begins to taper off, reducing the tendency to pull the bullet out of the plate.

Did a quick test and it looks like it solved the problem. Outof time top,ay with it forthe weekend though.
    Thanks! It's uploaded. Don't know exactly what you mean with that change, but I adapted it. If you have some time, I would like to see a video (with explanation). Thanks again and have a nice weekend.

Mike

Boolit Buddy
    Looks good and definitely makes sense. Did you glue the spring in, or just pushing it in?

Boolit Bub
    I slightly expanded the first couple of rings and pushed it in. It feels plenty secure. I ran over 1000 bullets thru it this weekend and it didn't fall out.

Boolit Buddy
    I slightly expanded the first couple of rings and pushed it in. It feels plenty secure. I ran over 1000 bullets thru it this weekend and it didn't fall out.
    Thank you, Mark! Recreated, rendered and uploaded to thingiverse!

Well, I started printing the latest base Fri and came home yesterday and stopped it, here.

https://ibb.co/cyo3h7

In the side you can see it moved over slightly in the sides then a few hours later moved over a couple inches. Amazingly enough it did gather itself back up in thin air but it’s not going to work like that.

The base looks pretty solid so I guess I get to try the separate base/wall design out.

Anyone have any idea what would cause the machine to do something like that?

Boolit Buddy
    Well, I started printing the latest base Fri and came home yesterday and stopped it, here.

https://ibb.co/cyo3h7

In the side you can see it moved over slightly in the sides then a few hours later moved over a couple inches. Amazingly enough it did gather itself back up in thin air but it’s not going to work like that.

The base looks pretty solid so I guess I get to try the separate base/wall design out.

Anyone have any idea what would cause the machine to do something like that?
    This is called layer shifting:
    http://reprap.org/wiki/Shifted_layers

belt tension too loose?

It’s a clogged belt and tight enough I don’t think even if I made the bed immovable it could jump a tooth.

Page 18 of 358 FirstFirst ... 891011121314151617181920212223242526272868118 ... LastLast