WidenersReloading EverythingLoad DataSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Repackbox Lee Precision

Thread: Making that Bullet Collator

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by noacess View Post
    Hey everyone,

I just wanted to check to see if anyone would feel they'd benefit for a guide on how to add holes to the electronic box templates. I did it for the first time this weekend and it was pretty trivial in tinkercad. I think the biggest hang up I had was trying to figure out how to reverse the work plane (shift click).

TylerR - Another dumb question for you. For whatever reason the the "Brass_Slide_Adjuster" that fits into the "Brass_Slide_Plate" is loose enough to where it will occasionally get pushed open more causing my 300BLK brass to fall base up instead of down. I wasn't sure if I should just try printing it again and hope for a tighter fit or if a more robust solution would be in order such as having multiple size sliders or spacers or some sort of locking mechanism to make it so the slide adjuster can't move. Thoughts/suggestions would be appreciated as always!
    Are you sure you are inserting it in the correct orientation? Mine was very loose until I put it the right way

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by o416 View Post
    Are you sure you are inserting it in the correct orientation? Mine was very loose until I put it the right way
    My Brass_Slide_Adjuster has the same tension in the Brass_Slide_Plate no matter the orientation.

So, I tried to just put a small dab of hot glue behind the slider and that actually worked great, at least for that problem. I decided that since 9mm cases arn't picky about the slider I'd decap a bunch of those for testing purposes. Things were chugging along great but then I ran into a new problem. The space behind the slider when its slid closed a bit, creates a space where a case can jam itself between the plate and the space behind the slider. So I guess the moral of the story for folks is if you're doing pistol cases don't use a slider that isn't open all the way.

Just another thought, would it possible to create an openscad file for just the slider so folks can create whatever size they want?

Thanks again!
    The slider is for Rifle Brass Only. It should be in the fully open position for pistol brass, as the way pistol brass works base down nothing should ever get past the drop hole.

Something else I wanted to quickly report. I went to print the Brass_Drop_Hole_Adapter from version 1.3.5 and the orientation looked pretty strange from what I had printed last time so I went back to the one found in version 1.3.0 and it seems to be correct. See attached picture (1.3.0 left, 1.3.5 right). I think rotating it 30 degrees fixes it in the slicer but just wanted to make you aware.

Attachment 275693
    You always need to check in the slicer to make sure the correct bottom face is oriented with the build plate. When I generate a file from 3d cad there is not guarantee how the slicer is going to orient it.

Just another thought, would it possible to create an openscad file for just the slider so folks can create whatever size they want?
    !
    I don't design in OpenSCAD. Thus GWS's questions about DSM, which I answered a page or so ago. The only thing designed in OpenScad is the collator plate builder,
    Last edited by TylerR; 01-20-2021 at 06:04 PM.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by TylerR View Post
    Did you also try making the hole diameter a little smaller as well? That was my first advice to lablover with his short .32acp.
    I did, I made the hole 11MM vs 11.5 and also tried 11.3MM. The darn bullet is almost square which causes the issues and ramp doesn't work. I may try to increase the depth of the pivot but I'll keep playing with it. Thank you for the idea!

Quote Originally Posted by HuskJ View Post
    I did, I made the hole 11MM vs 11.5 and also tried 11.3MM. The darn bullet is almost square which causes the issues and ramp doesn't work. I may try to increase the depth of the pivot but I'll keep playing with it. Thank you for the idea!

Are you having trouble with the bullet not wanting to flip on the ski ramp? You’re having the same issue as me with that bullet. I’m starting to believe that some bullets are made to not feed with a bullet feeder

Quote Originally Posted by lablover View Post
    Are you having trouble with the bullet not wanting to flip on the ski ramp? You’re having the same issue as me with that bullet. I’m starting to believe that some bullets are made to not feed with a bullet feeder
    What if you try a higher number slide plate, but move it out slightly so that the nose of the bullet travels further out on the ramp? The suggested slide plates are all designed to hit the ramp at about midway. May have to experiment to see what works.

What they ought to do with such bullets is make them the same on either end.....then it doesn't matter which end goes first! Kidding for the most part, but I quit shooting bullets hard to reload.....and short square ones weren't the only ones. There's lots that work better, and it's enough challenge for me to get them to load flawlessly without making it impossible for dumber than dumb mortals like me.

And then there's TylerR......he'll probably figure it out.
    Last edited by GWS; 01-20-2021 at 09:29 PM.

I can't remember if you already posted it, but video of the problem helps us to troubleshoot the issue with you much easier.

Quote Originally Posted by GWS View Post
    What they ought to do with such bullets is make them the same on either end.....then it doesn't matter which end goes first! Kidding for the most part, but I quit shooting bullets hard to reload.....and short square ones weren't the only ones. There's lots that work better, and it's enough challenge for me to get them to load flawlessly without making it impossible for mortals like me.
    There is some wisdom there GWS

Yeah well......full of wisdom....empty of answers.....not so much help...

Boolit Buddy
    Double tap

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by o416 View Post
    Please put your feedback for the manual here:
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...c1k/edit#gid=0
    I will do so this weekend or next depending on when I receive/ print everything to put this together.
    Thanks.

Boolit Bub
    I can't remember if you already posted it, but video of the problem helps us to troubleshoot the issue with you much easier.
    Will do. Quick question, in the experiment folder there is a Dillon adapter, is that the one you are using on your case feeder to run a spring from vs the Dillon plastic tube?

Boolit Bub
    There is some wisdom there GWS
    I agree GWS, I will NOT load that bullet but my Father is another story and he is a Bullseye shooter and that is his preferred bullet for 25 yards so I'm trying to help the guy who gave me life

Boolit Bub
    What if you try a higher number slide plate, but move it out slightly so that the nose of the bullet travels further out on the ramp? The suggested slide plates are all designed to hit the ramp at about midway. May have to experiment to see what works.
    Want me to USPS you 20 or so of them?

Boolit Bub
    Good Idea, I will try the 9MM ramp. The ramp I found to work best was that one from backyard inventer where it had the trough for the bullet to fall into and that seemed to help quite a bit but still missed the ramp.

Want me to USPS you 20 or so of them?
    If you want to, I will promise to give it my best try to make them feel reliably. With the boolit in hand I am pretty confident I can find a way to make it work.

Boolit Bub
    If you want to, I will promise to give it my best try to make them feel reliably. With the boolit in hand I am pretty confident I can find a way to make it work.
    If you are up for it I'll send them to you. Just PM me address to send and I'll mail them out next weekend when I'm back at the ranch. I poured roughly 6,000 of them for him so he won't miss 20-30 of them

Page 173 of 360 FirstFirst ... 73123163164165166167168169170171172173174175176177178179180181182183223273 ... LastLast