Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionMCD ProductsReloading Everything
RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication

Thread: Making that Bullet Collator

Quote Originally Posted by TylerR View Post
    Universal Reloading Feeder
    Universal Reload Feed System

?
    DIY Universal Reload Feeder

Pins and needles is a understatement! GWS, love that little control box. I might have to go that route as the height of mine I seem to bash my head on it a few times during a load session. Can you post a better picture of how you have it mounted?

As with everything, I love the experiment. And for a $12 sensor its not much of an investment. Just annoyed I have to wait a week to get it for testing.
    Where did you order it from? Just checked Amazon for the one I have to order another and it says delivery Tuesday. Bit more expensive ...correction, cheaper

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...DOWP300U&psc=1

Quote Originally Posted by lablover View Post
    Where did you order it from? Just checked Amazon for the one I have to order another and it says delivery Tuesday. Bit more expensive ...correction, cheaper

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...DOWP300U&psc=1
    I ordered two. I did order that one for the GWS solution and it should be here today. I ordered a different one that has a detection range of 15mm, because I believe the longer range will be needed for what I am working on.

I have posted GWS's new proximity sensor files in the downloads folder. It also has the electronics box files. I will be incorporating these in to the main download but have not settled on where to put them yet.
    Last edited by TylerR; 12-12-2020 at 11:16 AM.

I ordered two. I did order that one for the GWS solution and it should be here today. I ordered a different one that has a detection range of 15mm, because I believe the longer range will be needed for what I am working on.
    Man I can’t wait to see this! Should cut down on the wiring too.

Quote Originally Posted by GWS View Post
    HomeFree Handloading Sytems
    This one has some serious potential. Love the play on words.

Man I can’t wait to see this! Should cut down on the wiring too.
    I just wish these proximity sensors were a little smaller. The one I settled on is shorter then the one GWS used, but much wider in diameter. it is 30mm dia. Detection range of 15mm.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

GWS, can you clarify something for me with these proximity sensors? With the setup you have, it is a 3 wire NPN model. How is this wired to your speed controller and power source. Does the power for the motor pass directly through the sensor? It seems like they are rated pretty low as far as the pass through current allowed (200-300mA). McMaster Carr motor is 1.3 A max load). I feel like I am missing some important detail here.

the other one I ordered is a two wire version, and I was assuming I could pass the motor current through it, but now I think that is wrong. Actually just cancelled the order in case I have to order something different. They do have the same model in a 3 wire NPN version.

One other question. The rated detection range is for iron. The one you are using is 8mm range. What do you think the actual detection range is for a .223 bullet?

Ok, another question. Can you post the link to the speed controller you used?

Thanks!
    Last edited by TylerR; 12-12-2020 at 02:22 PM.

This one has some serious potential. Love the play on words.
    Has my vote! Love the sound of it

Also found this one. 18mm dia, small form factor. 14mm detection distance. Appears to be made in USA and is roughly twice the price of the other ones. If I could prove it could detect .223 from roughly 10mm away I would go for it.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...YVHZPCOT&psc=1

Hey Tyler, not sure this is what GWS is using but I’m using it and they work great.

https://www.amazon.com/Onyehn-Voltag...0-a2ffae3a273c

That’s a link of it in my cart

Boolit Man
    Hey Tyler, not sure this is what GWS is using but I’m using it and they work great.

https://www.amazon.com/Onyehn-Voltag...0-a2ffae3a273c

That’s a link of it in my cart
    Those are the ones I'm using too. Note I would check them before wiring up. I had ordered 4 and 1 barely turned went straight to 9vdc so it lacked slow speeds. Opened another and it was fine. China crapshoot I guess.

Sorry guys, had to do finish carpentry all day.....again, so I've not been near a computer.

The link on the controller that Lablover posted is the one I posted a month or so ago.....and I posted the wiring diagram to him twice....I'll have to look for them. Too bad it's so hard to search this forum.....least for me it is.

Absolutely, the only sensor I've used is the one I posted.....I have zero experience with anything else.....but my first one was a two wire and worked fine. I have no idea why they added the third wire later....it isn't needed.

Wiring is shown in the Post 1066, using the 3 wire.
    Last edited by GWS; 12-13-2020 at 12:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by GWS View Post
    Sorry guys, had to do finish carpentry all day.....again, so I've not been near a computer.

The link on the controller that Lablover posted is the one I posted a month or so ago.....and I posted the wiring diagram to him twice....I'll have to look for them. To bad it's so hard to search this forum.....least for me it is.

The absolute only sensor I've used is the one I posted.....I have zero experience with anything else.....but my first one was a two wire and worked fine. I have no idea why they added the third wire later....it isn't needed.

Wiring is shown in the Post 1066, using the 3 wire.

That’s right, remind me how bad my memory is! Hahahahaha. Glad you posted that because I forgot again! I also saw a pic of how you mounted the box...bonus. Can’t wait to print it.

That’s right, remind me how bad my memory is! Hahahahaha. Glad you posted that because I forgot again! I also saw a pic of how you mounted the box...bonus. Can’t wait to print it.
    That's how I mounted the box in Mike's little one. For Tyler's big one I just mounted it sideways using the same hole in the box but fastened it sidways to one of TylerR's electronics box mounting holes on the left side.....and pivoted it down toward me below.....way below!

It takes me a bit to get a print idea right.....while the lid works great.....even with the printer struggling with the mid air lip....I probably ought to bevel that underside to print prettier.....no, I don't know why I didn't do that the first time......just my lack of experience showing up again.....and my memory isn't any better than yours.

Boolit Buddy
    Tyler, are the .45, .40 and 9mm APP inserts designed for the largest APP clear tube? I printed the .45 and 9mm one and the largest tube fits the snuggest.

Was wondering if you had particular clear tubes in mind for different inserts, because that is the case for the offset connectors.

I should add that to the manual if that is the case.

Thx!

Quote Originally Posted by o416 View Post
    Tyler, are the .45, .40 and 9mm APP inserts designed for the largest APP clear tube? I printed the .45 and 9mm one and the largest tube fits the snuggest.

Was wondering if you had particular clear tubes in mind for different inserts, because that is the case for the offset connectors.

I should add that to the manual if that is the case.

Thx!
    Yes, the #3 or #4 should both fit.

Boolit Buddy
    I found the #3 to be a little on the loose side.

Quote Originally Posted by o416 View Post
    I found the #3 to be a little on the loose side.
    A little loose should not hurt anything. When in use it is going to have the weight of the drop tube holding it down. There is a slight difference between the #3 and #4 tubes but not enough to warrant making everything specific to them.

Boolit Buddy
    A little loose should not hurt anything. When in use it is going to have the weight of the drop tube holding it down. There is a slight difference between the #3 and #4 tubes but not enough to warrant making everything specific to them.
    Yup Into the manual it goes haha