Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Inline FabricationSnyders Jerky
Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Load Data Wideners

Thread: Making that Bullet Collator

Boolit Bub
    So folks who are using the DAA dies, what solution are you using to secure the drop tube to the die? I don't have the brass weight so I wasn't sure if there is something I can print to use springs/o-rings/rubberbands. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by noacess View Post
    So folks who are using the DAA dies, what solution are you using to secure the drop tube to the die? I don't have the brass weight so I wasn't sure if there is something I can print to use springs/o-rings/rubberbands. Thanks!
    It's a direct fit. Unless I am not understanding the question.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by TylerR View Post
    It's a direct fit. Unless I am not understanding the question.
    Right the issue is there is nothing to put downward pressure on the top/inner part of the die and it doesn't drop back down nicely because of the tension being put on it due to the the drop tube and spring sitting on top of it pulling it slightly to the side. Basically the same reason why the 3d printed dies have the spots for the o-rings/rubberbands to pull down the inside portion of the die back down.

Boolit Man
    The long rifle bullet collator plate (#11) is the same as in the video.
    Awesome! Thanks!

I also broke the awesome 300bo brass plate. My pin on my motors are drilled higher which the hex slot was too low being a thinner plate. Thanks for all the work on these and the scad awesomeness.. Beefed it up and set it to higher so it's up a few more mm. Printing that now also. Man that was working great before it happened *cries*. Curious from your .223 brass vid looked like your pin was decently low. How high from the base floor is your pin? Mine is 10.5mm to the top of the pin from the base's floor. If I run into it again I'll shim my motor down a touch.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	300blk taller.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	31.0 KB 
ID:	271687

Quote Originally Posted by noacess View Post
    Right the issue is there is nothing to put downward pressure on the top/inner part of the die and it doesn't drop back down nicely because of the tension being put on it due to the the drop tube and spring sitting on top of it pulling it slightly to the side. Basically the same reason why the 3d printed dies have the spots for the o-rings/rubberbands to pull down the inside portion of the die back down.
    Ahh, I got ya. I have only used the DAA .45acp version, and the weight of the bullet stack was enough to drop it back down.

Quote Originally Posted by djinnpb View Post
    Awesome! Thanks!

I also broke the awesome 300bo brass plate. My pin on my motors are drilled higher which the hex slot was too low being a thinner plate. Thanks for all the work on these and the scad awesomeness.. Beefed it up and set it to higher so it's up a few more mm. Printing that now also. Man that was working great before it happened *cries*. Curious from your .223 brass vid looked like your pin was decently low. How high from the base floor is your pin? Mine is 10.5mm to the top of the pin from the base's floor. If I run into it again I'll shim my motor down a touch.
    On the new version of the generator I made it so no matter how thick the plate is, the shaft slot will always be at least 10mm. My pin is about 9mm above the floor of the base.

Boolit Man
    On the new version of the generator I made it so no matter how thick the plate is, the shaft slot will always be at least 10mm. My pin is about 9mm above the floor of the base.
    oh gotcha. I used the stl in the zip that was 9mm high just barely hit the pin and caused pressure and snapped the hex handle. I looked in the scad and saw the min of 8mm so just changed some in there, overkill probably... height of 13mm says cura.

Edited: hah, how about that. did a quick one from the current generator and it made it taller indeed.
    Last edited by djinnpb; 11-18-2020 at 06:53 PM.

Just updated it to v1.1.5.

- All hex plates have been re generated with pin slot on angle instead of flat.
    - Another minor reliability tweak to "Slide_Feed_Nose_Up_#11".

Promise I am done for now, until I get some feedback.

So I am cooking up a new idea inspired by my friend GWS. I won't say what it is yet, but it is a change to the main body, so will only benefit people who print new ones. But it should help improve reliability for certain situations. I bet he can probably guess what it is.

Boolit Master

The long rifle bullet collator plate (#11) is the same as in the video.
    Hi Tyler,
    Will the drop tube for this plate fit the original size collator bowl?
    Ed

Quote Originally Posted by RedlegEd View Post
    Hi Tyler,
    Will the drop tube for this plate fit the original size collator bowl?
    Ed
    Hi Ed,

Forgive me, my brain may be a bit fried from work, but I am not sure what you are asking exactly.

Boolit Master

Hi,
    Understand and no worries! I'm talking about the slide in plate (see below.) Is this the same dimension as the slide in plate of the original AM version, or is it wider?
    Ed

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2020-11-18 18_39_29-Making that Bullet Collator - Page 59 — Mozilla Firefox.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	10.2 KB 
ID:	271706

Hi,
    Understand and no worries! I'm talking about the slide in plate (see below.) Is this the same dimension as the slide in plate of the original AM version, or is it wider?
    Ed
    Ahh got it, thank you My slide plates are 75mm wide. I did that to have more options for these weird kinds of plates. The originals were 50mm wide. I just measured and if I shaved 4mm off the riser length I could get it down to 50. You want me to give it a try?

OK, I just modified it. It's posted
    Last edited by TylerR; 11-18-2020 at 08:56 PM.

Boolit Master

Ahh got it, thank you My slide plates are 75mm wide. I did that to have more options for these weird kinds of plates. The originals were 50mm wide. I just measured and if I shaved 4mm off the riser length I could get it down to 50. You want me to give it a try?
    Hi,
    If you have time and inclination, yes, please. Lots of us still use the smaller version, and the collator plate builder gives us the option to make the 147.5mm plate, so I think having a "narrow" version drop plate that fites the original would make sense.
    Ed

Hi,
    If you have time and inclination, yes, please. Lots of us still use the smaller version, and the collator plate builder gives us the option to make the 147.5mm plate, so I think having a "narrow" version drop plate that fites the original would make sense.
    Ed
    OK, I just modified it. It's posted.
    I don't want to make a habit of modifying my stuff for the smaller base, but I'll make an exception for you. haha

Boolit Master

OK, I just modified it. It's posted.
    I don't want to make a habit of modifying my stuff for the smaller base, but I'll make an exception for you. haha
    My friend, I very much appreciate it! Thank you.

My friend, I very much appreciate it! Thank you.
    I did measure it compared to his original plate and the dimensions are right on. Let me know if it needs tweaking.

Edited:
    I just tried to generate a 147.5mm plate using my new isLongRifleBullet = true param, and there are definitely issues. Perhaps as our resident SCAD guru you could resolve them. My technique with all the math is, how shall I say it, hack and slash.
    Last edited by TylerR; 11-18-2020 at 09:31 PM.

Boolit Master

I did measure it compared to his original plate and the dimensions are right on. Let me know if it needs tweaking.

Edited:
    I just tried to generate a 147.5mm plate using my new isLongRifleBullet = true param, and there are definitely issues. Perhaps as our resident SCAD guru you could resolve them. My technique with all the math is, how shall I say it, hack and slash.
    Hi,
    I'll certainly have a look. TBH, my math skills are also a little weak, so I'll simply adjust it in (just like in Artillery.)
    Ed

Hi,
    I'll certainly have a look. TBH, my math skills are also a little weak, so I'll simply adjust it in (just like in Artillery.)
    Ed
    Haha that's what I did!

I am looking at that nose down plate for you. It's definitely a bit more of a lift but I will see what I can do.

Ok both plates are posted for anyone else who wants to take a crack at it. But you are going to have to wait for Ed to tweak the scad cause I aint doing it!

Page 118 of 361 FirstFirst ... 1868108109110111112113114115116117118119120121122123124125126127128168218 ... LastLast