RepackboxWidenersLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyReloading Everything
Inline Fabrication RotoMetals2

Thread: Making that Bullet Collator

Boolit Master

I am trying to justify a new Ender 5 and a Dillion 1050 to my wife... looks like this is turning into a one sided loosing argument for me.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

Quote Originally Posted by Rcmaveric View Post
    I am trying to justify a new Ender 5 and a Dillion 1050 to my wife... looks like this is turning into a one sided loosing argument for me.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk
    Ha! I had never looked at the RCBS Pro 7 but it looks like it is their answer to the 1050?

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by TylerR View Post
    All drop tubes have been modified to have 2mm clearance between the sensor and the hole itself. If you have a sensor that cannot reliably detect 2mm I would suggest using another sensor. As I have said I have no issues using the suggested Autonics PRD18-14DN2, or the one originally posted by GWS.

Happy to report back that the new drop tubes fixed the issue for both sensors!

Quote Originally Posted by noacess View Post
    Happy to report back that the new drop tubes fixed the issue for both sensors!
    Looks like TylerR is still on a roll!

Ha! I had never looked at the RCBS Pro 7 but it looks like it is their answer to the 1050?
    Maybe it was supposed to be.....but it's aluminum unlike the Pro 2000 or the Dillon 1050 which are both cast iron....more like a 650 with two more stations.....but they fumbled out of the gate over the priming system. When Dillon came out with their 650 it was way above anything else out there and the flaws were held as minor annoyances for the most part ignored until they were fixed. RCBS on the other hand came out with their 7 station press with the 650 and 1050 deeply entrenched, debugged, and with many happy customers. Not an easy market to enter with a new design yet to be debugged. I saw the possibilities....the general market hasn't yet, if they ever will. I love mine. Priming system now works fine, but I still prefer the Pro 2000's APS priming system, but I don't see a way to mod it in.

Now Frankford Arsenal is bravely trying to break in with their FX-10.....hope they succeed....Dillon really does need some competition. Can you say 10 stations? Supposed to come out end of 2021......and you only have to build a 3d printed bullet feeder. RCBS should have started with a case feeder/collator developed and offered. They just didn't risk quite enough. When you are owned by a conglomerate, decision making at that level is in the less dedicated overlord hands.

Last edited by GWS; 01-26-2021 at 06:52 PM.

I got your package lablover. Let the games begin!

Just curious are you using hex interface, or pin thru shaft? Which motor again?
    I’m using both. Hex for APP pin for the Dillon. That showed up quick!

Lablover, I have already done some initial tests with some existing collator plates, and it's fairly clear what the issues are. I am right now printing a new plate where I basically "tightened the screws" a bit. I have reduced the diameter of the shaft hole, reduced the size of the bullet holes, and I changed the plate diameter to 181mm, which technically leaves .5 mm of clearance to the side of the collator. I can see one of the main issues is the nose of the bullet not making contact with the ramp to begin the flipping process. Depending on how my new plate works I will consider more changes from there, possibly with the ramp itself.
    I figured the ramp was going to be the culprit! What Bullets are you testing? I assume the 160 gr. Those 190s are short as well. Look forward to what you come up with

Quote Originally Posted by GWS View Post

Maybe it was supposed to be.....but it's aluminum unlike the Pro 2000 or the Dillon 1050 which are both cast iron....more like a 650 with two more stations.....but they fumbled out of the gate over the priming system. When Dillon came out with their 650 it was way above anything else out there and the flaws were held as minor annoyances for the most part ignored until they were fixed. RCBS on the other hand came out with their 7 station press with the 650 and 1050 deeply entrenched, debugged, and with many happy customers. Not an easy market to enter with a new design yet to be debugged. I saw the possibilities....the general market hasn't yet, if they ever will. I love mine.

Now Frankford Arsenal is bravely trying to break in.....hope they succeed....Dillon really does need some competition. Can you say 10 stations? Supposed to come out end of 2021......and you only have to build a 3d printed bullet feeder.

Oh I wish I didn’t watch that! Wow, that’s the cats ***. I can see that being a hit if it’s built strong
    Last edited by Mr_Sheesh; 02-05-2021 at 09:25 PM. Reason: Language Filter

Quote Originally Posted by lablover View Post
    Oh I wish I didn’t watch that! Wow, that’s the cats ***. I can see that being a hit if it’s built strong and Priced Right
    That think does look sweet.
    Last edited by Mr_Sheesh; 02-05-2021 at 09:26 PM. Reason: Language Filter

I went right to the 160's to make it hard right off the rip Nice looking boolits btw.

I went right to the 160's to make it hard right off the rip Nice looking boolits btw.
    How you like those tiny lead .32s. And me with big meat hook hands....lol

How you like those tiny lead .32s. And me with big meat hook hands....lol
    Yes they are very very small. Saving those for last.

Boolit Buddy
    Oh I wish I didn’t watch that! Wow, that’s the cats ***. I can see that being a hit if it’s built strong
    Wow! If that press is as reliable as a Dillon, sign me up

I love what Dillon makes, but they are way too pricey in my opinion; let's not even talk about Mark 7, yikes!

I run an XL750 and was thinking of getting a RL1100, but what am I really getting for the extra $$$?

True, it has a better mechanical system, swaging capabilities and a casefeeder, but how is that worth an extra $1500???

The worst part of the RL1100 is the "7 station" crap. You can't even run a powder check and bullet feeder unless you seat/crimp in the last station.

Seriously Dillon, how about 10 stations for that kind of money.
    Last edited by Mr_Sheesh; 02-05-2021 at 09:26 PM. Reason: Language Filter

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by GWS View Post

Maybe it was supposed to be.....but it's aluminum unlike the Pro 2000 or the Dillon 1050 which are both cast iron....more like a 650 with two more stations.....but they fumbled out of the gate over the priming system. When Dillon came out with their 650 it was way above anything else out there and the flaws were held as minor annoyances for the most part ignored until they were fixed. RCBS on the other hand came out with their 7 station press with the 650 and 1050 deeply entrenched, debugged, and with many happy customers. Not an easy market to enter with a new design yet to be debugged. I saw the possibilities....the general market hasn't yet, if they ever will. I love mine. Priming system now works fine, but I still prefer the Pro 2000's APS priming system, but I don't see a way to mod it in.

Now Frankford Arsenal is bravely trying to break in with their FX-10.....hope they succeed....Dillon really does need some competition. Can you say 10 stations? Supposed to come out end of 2021......and you only have to build a 3d printed bullet feeder. RCBS should have started with a case feeder/collator developed and offered. They just didn't risk quite enough. When you are owned by a conglomerate, decision making at that level is in the less dedicated overlord hands.

Check out the Mark 7 Evolution if you want to see something that can give Dillon a run for their money.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by thump_rrr View Post
    Check out the Mark 7 Evolution if you want to see something that can give Dillon a run for their money.
    They are way too expensive and use a Hornady casefeeder which is absolutely garbage. Unless you like being showered with brass while you reload

Quote Originally Posted by o416 View Post
    They are way too expensive and use a Hornady casefeeder which is absolutely garbage. Unless you like being showered with brass while you reload
    What’s the base cost? Could our feeders be used with the press ?

Boolit Man
    Oh I wish I didn’t watch that! Wow, that’s the cats ***. I can see that being a hit if it’s built strong and Priced Right
    That think does look sweet.
    Oh man!! That really is impressive. I might have drooled on my keyboard. I never got a Dillon as much as I want just never pulled the trigger and been living with the Hornady LNL and my co-ax. But getting just the base unit and adding feeders could make that a winner. Now if they can hurry and release that!
    Last edited by Mr_Sheesh; 02-05-2021 at 09:27 PM. Reason: Language Filter

Boolit Mold
    Drilling the hole is optional. It should just hang off the side.
    I understand now. You connect the two pieces with the bolt making the angle adjustment while the bullet feeder is on the bench. Then you just hang the bullet feeder on the case feeder. I need to either purchase a bigger washer or a shorter bolt because my current washer slips into the Mount_Dillon_Base and the bolt then is too long to tighten against the Mount_Dillon_Hang_Base part. I'll add a change suggestion to the manual to call out a larger washer or shorter bolt.

*Edit: Nevermind I just saw anuccite added the bolt length change to the manual suggestions already.

Boolit Buddy
    What’s the base cost? Could our feeders be used with the press ?
    $3000 (USD) + shipping and tax.

I am sure this project could work with it. However, for the price you would pay, it is embarrassing that they would ship it with a crappy Hornady casefeeder.

I think they are going to replace that casefeeder with their "premium" version now that Lyman bought them.

Quote Originally Posted by o416 View Post
    $3000 (USD) + shipping and tax.

I am sure this project could work with it. However, for the price you would pay, it is embarrassing that they would ship it with a crappy Hornady casefeeder.

I think they are going to replace that casefeeder with their "premium" version now that Lyman bought them.
    Oiy that's not the price point I was hoping for. That's getting close to commercial. I was thinking under 2k.

Boolit Buddy
    Oiy that's not the price point I was hoping for. That's getting close to commercial. I was thinking under 2k.
    Yup! Let's hope this Frankford Arsenal unit shakes things up. I imagine it will be full of bugs though lol

Page 179 of 361 FirstFirst ... 79129169170171172173174175176177178179180181182183184185186187188189229279 ... LastLast