Load DataRotoMetals2WidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingInline FabricationLee Precision
Repackbox

Thread: Making that Bullet Collator

Quote Originally Posted by o416 View Post
    Did you add the updated LED sensor knob file too? I know we went through a few mods lol The one I printed last fit but became a little too tight and you said you would back it off by 0.1mm I think.
    Yes that is in there. They definitely loosen up over time the more you use them.

Quote Originally Posted by TylerR View Post
    Just posted v1.2.0.

Lots of little changes here and there I won't bother listing.

Main changes:

- Addition of APP quick caliber change parts. Top parts to handle all calibers (bullets/brass). Bottom inserts for .45, 9mm and .308 bullets for now.
    - Changes to bullet slides and addition of .308 / .300BO.
    - Andar addition of drop tubes for pressure switches.

APP press details. There is a main bracket that mounts to the press. This bracket can then accept inserts for any bullet / brass combination. Inserts directly interface with APP tubes, or there are offset adapters that interface between the insert and the clear tube. These offsets allow there to be more clearance for the handle, which is a must for my modded roller handle. Next there is a APP clear tube to drop tube adapter. There are three versions that cover the 4 different sized APP tubes. These adapters interface directly with the standard drop tube. Also, to make it more interesting, the clear APP tube can be eliminated completely, and just connect the drop tube to the offset adapter.

For the bullet slides, it is best to use a raft when printing them because I added the spring connector and it can be tricky to print.
    The only part in the entire download that requires supports is the APP_Brass_Slide_Base. Every other part is designed to be printed without them.

I shot a quick video of me assembling it for .300BO boolits. I then do a quick change over to .45 acp.
    I'm impressed! I'll be glad to get my rifle collator up and running so I can print some APP stuff....but I'm way slower....as much as I'm having fun, I'm still a beginner, so everything takes a lot of time.

I will get you all the files for my project yet, but I want to perfect them first. Still tweaking to make things work smoother...especially the twist connectors. I finally realized that yours and Mikes are fairly incompatible, so I'm redesigning to fit your system. Otherwise I'm just adding confusion.

Also I had 5 non-manifold edge errors in my .stl file for the down tube. My slicer fixes them in slicing but doesn't fix .stl file itself. Bad to share such a file, so I needed to find and fix them. So I went through the .DWG file with a fine tooth comb and found and deleted them.....as they turned out to be artifacts left over from changes.....as I said, beginner stuff. But the file is clean now, and I will print the downtube again today along with the .223 bullet insert, revised to use the lower twist connector. If this works, then I will post them.

And yes I will identify them as inferior GWS files! Don't want anyone else to take the blame!

I need to get back to help document this momentous thread, and I will, when I get this working. It'd help if you slow down a little!!!! Would be nice to be young again, with limitless energy.
    Last edited by GWS; 12-03-2020 at 04:54 PM.

If it helps, here are the internal diameters of the adapters I designed for using the 4 clear tubes that come with the APP. #1 (8.5mm), #2 (11.4mm), #3-#4(14.56mm).
    Yes! that does help. Thanks! I wish I had more younger me's around who can retain info better....off to make a Gcode for today's print.

Quote Originally Posted by GWS View Post
    I'm impressed! I'll be glad to get my rifle collator up and running so I can print some APP stuff....but I'm way slower....as much as I'm having fun, I'm still a beginner, so everything takes a lot of time.

I will get you all the files for my project yet, but I want to perfect them first. Still tweaking to make things work smoother...especially the twist connectors. I finally realized that yours and Mikes are fairly incompatible, so I'm redesigning to fit your system. Otherwise I'm just adding confusion.

Also I had 5 non-manifold edge errors in my .stl file for the down tube. My slicer fixes them in slicing but doesn't fix .stl file itself. Bad to share such a file, so I needed to find and fix them. So I went through the .DWG file with a fine tooth comb and found and deleted them.....as they turned out to be artifacts left over from changes.....as I said, beginner stuff. But the file is clean now, and I will print the downtube again today along with the .223 bullet insert, revised to use the lower twist connector. It this works, then I will post them.

And yes I will identify them as inferior GWS files! Don't want anyone else to take the blame!

I need to get back to help document this momentous thread, and I will, when I get this working. It'd help if you slow down a little!!!! Would be nice to be young again, with limitless energy.
    Thanks GWS! I hear you about getting it perfect before sharing. That's why every time I post a release I end up pulling and replacing it 5 minutes later because I think of one last thing that should have been done. LOL

I appreciate your efforts with the proximity sensor drop tube, and would love to add the files to the project when they are ready. I promise I will only give attribution to them if you want, as I am always willing to take the blame
    I also appreciate Andar's contributions to fill in some of the gaps.

I am done for awhile with any major aspects of the project. I will add more inserts for the APP press as people request them, or if I need something myself, but right at the moment I don't see any other major items to be tackled. But I guess you never know........ Although I do need to get to some actual 9mm reloading.

Boolit Buddy
    I feel like I am mooching here and would like to contribute in some way.

Tyler, did someone take the task of making a "manual" for this build? If not, I think I am OCD enough to volunteer for it lol

I feel like I am mooching here and would like to contribute in some way.

Tyler, did someone take the task of making a "manual" for this build? If not, I think I am OCD enough to volunteer for it lol
    Haha not at all!

So GWS has offered to work on it, but I am sure he wouldn't argue if you wanted to help or take point. It is a fairly big project but would be so awesome if we had it.

Boolit Buddy
    Haha not at all!

So GWS has offered to work on it, but I am sure he wouldn't argue if you wanted to help or take point. It is a fairly big project but would be so awesome if we had it.
    I will get started on it now. I have the organization skills to make this happen lol

I will get started on it now. I have the organization skills to make this happen lol
    Nice! That sounds awesome. Anything you need let us know. A big part of it is just boiling down all the info in the thread in to some kind of organized format without all the noise.

I should probably go back through my own posts and at least grab my release notes, as they should really be a running list included in the download. you would think as a programmer I would know this.

Boolit Buddy
    I will make a manual with a table of contents and share it with you some time this week

I will make a manual with a table of contents and share it with you some time this week
    That sounds really great. Can't wait.

Just to clarify something, If anyone needs a bullet feeder die for a different caliber, or like I said, new inserts for the APP press, just let me know. Now that I have the 3d CAD base files and concepts all worked out its not a huge lift to add new calibers. You might just have to give me specs for what you are looking for.

Finally finished the clear tubing connector for the case feeder that will connect directly below the Proximity switch. Since the tubing for the RCBS case feeder telescopes, the small diameter into the large diameter (so one setup works for .223 and .308), I needed to design two connectors. I think this "x-ray" picture describes what I needed to design , pretty well.....will print them tomorrow.

Oh BTW, I unwrapped my blue Satin similar to the green Satin and am printing what I hope is the final rendition of the Proximity Switch housing tonight, in blue. Kind of like the blue too, but it's definitely not Dillon baby blue! Tomorrow it's back to green for the last parts....it is for my RCBS Pro Chucker green machine, after all....
    Last edited by GWS; 12-04-2020 at 03:25 AM.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks GWS! I hear you about getting it perfect before sharing. That's why every time I post a release I end up pulling and replacing it 5 minutes later because I think of one last thing that should have been done. LOL

I appreciate your efforts with the proximity sensor drop tube, and would love to add the files to the project when they are ready. I promise I will only give attribution to them if you want, as I am always willing to take the blame
    I also appreciate Andar's contributions to fill in some of the gaps.

I am done for awhile with any major aspects of the project. I will add more inserts for the APP press as people request them, or if I need something myself, but right at the moment I don't see any other major items to be tackled. But I guess you never know........ Although I do need to get to some actual 9mm reloading.
    Does the quick caliber change system for the APP only work for bullets are can you use it with brass too?

Does the quick caliber change system for the APP only work for bullets are can you use it with brass too?
    You might want to go back one page and read my release notes

Quote Originally Posted by g1500 View Post
    Hey all,

So I finally decided to sign up for the forum (been coming to this site for a long time, am also a member of the FB group) and have spent a lot of time on this thread.

I want to say thanks to Tyler and others for all of the work you’ve done with these projects. I already have several parts printed out and many of the electronics mocked up and seem to have everything working like it should.

I have some questions regarding some parts and the electronics.

I’m using a Dayton motor and the light sensor setup. I have everything hooked up for the most part and it seems to be working fine. I noticed there is a great harness for the light sensor with an plug in the photos folder, I was hoping I could have some more details how the harness is put together as well as some pictures and descriptions of the electronics box setup.

As far as the drop tube goes, I have the twist connector for the small spring and a spring from Amazon/stop shop. The piece is threaded, however, the threads are in the opposite direction of the way the spring is coiled. Is there a particular spring that has the coils in the same direction as the threads? Would it be possible to make a clockwise and counter clockwise set of spring adapters? Is there something I’m missing here?

The hardware for the mounting, particularly the drop tube adapter that screws into the base, is there a preferred screw that I need to use? I’m assuming the electronics box uses the same screws. Do I need to pre-drill the holes or is the hole in the base good enough? Is all the other hardware just something that fits in the provided holes?

I know you guys have done a lot and I appreciate all the work you’ve done and would appreciate any additional help or advice you can provide for this build.

Mike
    Welcome aboard Mike. Best advice I can give is read through the thread because there is tons of great info, but I will take a stab at your questions.

- I believe someone just recently posted some pics and description of the wiring. Maybe 5-8 pages back?
    - The spring adapters I designed are for the DAA springs and nothing else. Andar also recently posted adapters for tube bending springs which are in the download.
    - I use very little sheet metal screws. I think they are #3 1/4" or something like that. They work very well. I had a huge bag of them I bought from Mcmaster a long time ago. No need to pre-drill the holes. All the designs have the hole pattern built in.

Finally finished the clear tubing connector for the case feeder that will connect directly below the Proximity switch. Since the tubing for the RCBS case feeder telescopes, the small diameter into the large diameter (so one setup works for .223 and .308), I needed to design two connectors. I think this "x-ray" picture describes what I needed to design , pretty well.....will print them tomorrow.

Oh BTW, I unwrapped my blue Satin similar to the green Satin and am printing what I hope is the final rendition of the Proximity Switch housing tonight, in blue. Kind of like the blue too, but it's definitely not Dillon baby blue! Tomorrow it's back to green for the last parts....it is for my RCBS Pro Chucker green machine, after all....
    I hate to ask because I know the answer is several pages back. Brand of that filament? I know I know..being lazy but at work on the phone. Lol. Love those adapters

Quote Originally Posted by lablover View Post
    I hate to ask because I know the answer is several pages back. Brand of that filament? I know I know..being lazy but at work on the phone. Lol. Love those adapters
    http://www.zyltech.com/zyltech-filam...alty-filament/

It comes in blue, red and gold as well as the green.

Not Dillon Blue, but it'll compliment Dillon Blue for Dillon Lovers I betcha .....

It's a little loose on top.....that's Ammo Mike's collator and outlet....need to print a tighter TylerR outlet for it......but it works fine as is.

That's an improved .223 insert for the proximity switch housing.....made to keep those tiny bullets close to the sensor so the tiny bullets stop the collator reliably.

X-ray of that piece with the angled path for the .223 bullet (before I shortened it and added the twist lock) in the middle of the picture below: other two pieces are now obsolete.

Last edited by GWS; 12-04-2020 at 05:56 PM.

http://www.zyltech.com/zyltech-filam...alty-filament/

It comes in blue, red and gold as well as the green.

Not Dillon Blue, but it'll compliment it for Dillon Lovers .....

It's a little loose on top.....that's Ammo Mike's collator and outlet....need to print a tighter TylerR outlet for it......but it works fine as is.
    That is some slick looking stuff.

Your video is marked private.

Thanks Buddy...can’t view video btw

You can set Youtube defaults, but that doesn't mean they always follow them.....please let me know if it works now. Sorry.
    Last edited by GWS; 12-04-2020 at 04:03 PM.

You can set Youtube defaults, but that doesn't mean they always follow them.....please let me know if it works now. Sorry.
    Works now

Page 129 of 358 FirstFirst ... 2979119120121122123124125126127128129130131132133134135136137138139179229 ... LastLast