Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2ADvertise hereRepackbox
Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision

Page 122 of 123 FirstFirst ... 2272112113114115116117118119120121122123 LastLast
Results 2,421 to 2,440 of 2455

Thread: Making that Bullet Collator

We will see if it's worthy of that.....anything I make is for sharing if someone wants it. What do you guys think, should I fillet from the bottom to the tee to make it support proof?.....like a web connection?

Any ideas on making cylinder flats smoother? Think it has to be done in the cad software. I can smooth surfaces, but I haven't seen a command to smooth solids.....gotta be....just missed it somewhere.....I thought it was just a part of .stl's and triangles....then I printed TylerR's brass outlet.....wow!

Hi Ed....I see you got up early.....
    Last edited by GWS; 11-21-2020 at 10:01 AM.

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by GWS View Post
    Hi Ed....I see you got up early.....
    Good morning GWS!
    Yep, did my 2 miles early and started working on different things and got some parts printing. Regarding the "smoothness" of your drawings (and maybe your prints,) in OpenScad, there is a "$fn=" function that controls the number of facets, the higher the number, the smoother the render. Typically, using a setting of 50-100 will get cylinders/spheres pretty nice. See if there's a setting in your CAD that controls facets or resolution for cylinders.
    Ed

ETA: I see you found it!

Yeah! I just found it on the Autocad forum! Function FACETRES=10! Default is zero. Internet is a wonderful tool I wish we had 50 years ago....castboolits.gunloads.com is wonderful for letting this thread continue..... Experiment will show if I need to go to a higher value like 50 to 100....will let you all know.

Boolit Bub
    TylerR is there a listing of what components fit in the holes of your electronics box? Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by noacess View Post
    TylerR is there a listing of what components fit in the holes of your electronics box? Thanks!
    Search is your friend

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...=1#post4912466

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by TylerR View Post
    Time to add this to my notes lol. Thanks! At some point I might just post a wiki with all the information aggregated so far.

Quote Originally Posted by noacess View Post
    Time to add this to my notes lol. Thanks! At some point I might just post a wiki with all the information aggregated so far.
    That would be awesome!

Ohhh shoot I just checked out the shared bullet compatibly chart and I see someone added some new entries. Thank you!!!

Ohhh shoot I just checked out the shared bullet compatibly chart and I see someone added some new entries. Thank you!!!
    I put in something for 9mm

Btw, tried the collater plate but a bit smaller for the .32 acp bullets. Still getting stuck sideways. Bullets are 7.90 mm diameter. I went to 7.2mm. Still a no go. I’m curious how much smaller I should go. I need to leave a little wiggle room. Suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by lablover View Post
    I put in something for 9mm

Btw, tried the collater plate but a bit smaller for the .32 acp bullets. Still getting stuck sideways. Bullets are 7.90 mm diameter. I went to 7.2mm. Still a no go. I’m curious how much smaller I should go. I need to leave a little wiggle room. Suggestions?
    The only thing I can thing to do is go a little smaller (7.0mm-6.9mm) and maybe bump the plate diameter to 180mm. Can you show a quick video?

what is the height of these bullets again?
    Last edited by TylerR; 11-22-2020 at 12:42 PM.

I'm thinking that a collator isn't going to work for bullets no longer than they are wide. Is that the case?

I failed at my latest proximity sensor tool.....two things.....I forgot the slot for the wings on the end (dumb, forgetful)....and I found that, at the tiny layer height, the threads are too wide, and the sensor just slides in.....so I erased the posts on it and went back to the drawing board.

Also, I do not think my slicer deals well with horizontal threads.....at the top closure there ARE no threads....looks like a bandaid up there. Must be doing something wrong, but I don't have a clue yet. I may be back to two prints for one tool.

Quote Originally Posted by GWS View Post
    I'm thinking that a collator isn't going to work for bullets no longer than they are wide. Is that the case?
    No it would not. It has to be at least a little longer then the diameter, or there is really no way to stop it from going in sideways.

The only thing I can thing to do is go a little smaller (7.0mm-6.9mm) and maybe bump the plate diameter to 180mm. Can you show a quick video?

what is the height of these bullets again?
    9.90 mm tall. I think GWS might have hit the nail on the head as they may just be too darn short. Not the end of the world. I’ll try and get a video today but basically when at the bottom of the bowl they like to fall it sideways so the nose is against the collater wall and base is against the wall of the plate in a hole

Quote Originally Posted by lablover View Post
    9.90 mm tall. I think GWS might have hit the nail on the head as they may just be too darn short. Not the end of the world. I’ll try and get a video today but basically when at the bottom of the bowl they like to fall it sideways so the nose is against the collater wall and base is against the wall of the plate in a hole
    That means you have 2mm to play with. I am sure it can be made to work. Let me generate a plate using 7mm as the caliber and plate dia of 180mm. I will load it up in 3d cad and see what the tolerance looks like. One sec......

So by my measurements, if you go with 6.9mm as your caliber, and 180mm as plate dia, you will end up with 9.3mm from the inside of the hole to the wall of the collator. That should be enough to stop sideways ones. And the actual caliber would be 8.1mm. so .2mm of clearance.

My print looked exciting as it sat finished on the bed.....

I removed most of the support and turned it upside down! Ugh! What a disappointment!

Those aren't threads...those are a chaotic mess! Guess I can't print threads horizontally even with .12 layers.....

Boolit Bub
    I had a couple more design ideas for future improvements:

1. Make the slide plates T shaped or maybe just have a notch in one corner so you can't put them in backwards. Don't ask me how this came to me as a feature
    2. Has anyone considered using a 0.25 amp circuit breaker instead of fuses to prevent jams from destroying collator plates? Something like this is what I was thinking: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Te-Connecti...wAAOSwS6ZaypIS
    Last edited by noacess; 11-22-2020 at 03:43 PM. Reason: spelling

So by my measurements, if you go with 6.9mm as your caliber, and 180mm as plate dia, you will end up with 9.3mm from the inside of the hole to the wall of the collator. That should be enough to stop sideways ones. And the actual caliber would be 8.1mm. so .2mm of clearance.
    I’ll give that a try. Thanks a bunch

Boolit Bub
    TylerR, with the Slide_Feed_Nose_Up_#11, did you find a sweet spot on the angle? I'm finding that the nose flipping on the 247gr 300bo boolits sometimes flip around the ramp and drop in the tray. The ramp might need to slide in a touch further (maybe 4m) I'm going to experiment with it. Can you share the step file by chance?
    They seem to drop right after the ramp every so often once flipped. Thinking maybe the ramp is closer to guide it for a tick longer or the flat riding spot out just a hair? I tried various angles and speeds. Video below:

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by djinnpb View Post
    TylerR, with the Slide_Feed_Nose_Up_#11, did you find a sweet spot on the angle? I'm finding that the nose flipping on the 247gr 300bo boolits sometimes flip around the ramp and drop in the tray. The ramp might need to slide in a touch further (maybe 4m) I'm going to experiment with it. Can you share the step file by chance?
    They seem to drop right after the ramp every so often once flipped. Thinking maybe the ramp is closer to guide it for a tick longer or the flat riding spot out just a hair? I tried various angles and speeds. Video below:
    I had to have a really steep angle for mine to not have any issues. Granted all my bullets are plated or FMJ 208 - 220gr.

Page 122 of 123 FirstFirst ... 2272112113114115116117118119120121122123 LastLast