Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Inline FabricationLee Precision
Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyReloading Everything
Wideners Repackbox

Thread: Making that Bullet Collator

Boolit Man

springs

TylerR

Re springs:
    I had mixed results with the regular Double small and large ones. Ended up getting the long Double extension spring and chute and that spring is tightly wound and doesn't sag and way better than the lighter ones they have. I'm making another collator for another press and out of spring material. Soo I was going to just order another from Double but saw that ali one you used (https://www.aliexpress.us/item/2251832626574002.html)
    Since you've had and used both.. are the ali ones tight and sturdy like that Double one or more like the regular ones? Double's is spendy shipped but worked great. I don't have a ton of height so I can't use springs as vertical as I'd like to mitigate the hanging/sagging.

If so did you get 15, 12, and 10mm ones to cover bases?

Thanks!
    Last edited by djinnpb; 08-16-2023 at 11:47 AM. Reason: removed link / cleaned

Quote Originally Posted by Silverbullit View Post
    Supernice mate,
    I found it immediately! (I think)

I will order 2 @ once before my boss comes home (g/f) and spanks me!... hmm maybe I should wait so she sees it... this is why I should never think out loud, haha

Theyre all the same right? The prices varies like mad so I'll just hit the above sellers purchase button!
    you are going to want to delete that link. they are not allowed.
    Yes, that is the correct one.
    Last edited by TylerR; 08-16-2023 at 11:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by djinnpb View Post
    TylerR

Re springs:
    I had mixed results with the regular DAA small and large ones. Ended up getting the long DAA extension spring and chute (https://www.doublealpha.biz/us/doubl...ute-and-spring) and that spring is tightly wound and doesn't sag and way better than the lighter ones they have. I'm making another collator for another press and out of spring material. Soo I was going to just order another from DAA but saw that ali one you used (https://www.aliexpress.us/item/2251832626574002.html)
    Since you've had and used both.. are the ali ones tight and sturdy like that DAA one or more like the regular ones? DAA is spendy shipped but worked great. I don't have a ton of height so I can't use springs as vertical as I'd like to mitigate the hanging/sagging.

If so did you get 15, 12, and 10mm ones to cover bases?

Thanks!
    ali express and mcmaster carr are the highest quality springs. tightly wound.
    yes, I have springs for basically every size. those would be 13,10,8mm ID, which cover pretty much anything.

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by TylerR View Post
    you are going to want to delete that link. they are not allowed.
    Yes, that is the correct one.
    good save! removed.

ali express and mcmaster carr are the highest quality springs. tightly wound.
    yes, I have springs for basically every size. those would be 13,10,8mm ID, which cover pretty much anything.
    I might just get some from mcmaster carr but the ali ones being all in mm seemed easier. But that slow boat.. .ekk

good save! removed.

I might just get some from mcmaster carr but the ali ones being all in mm seemed easier. But that slow boat.. .ekk
    metric or imperial makes no difference. They will both work fine in the adapters.

Boolit Man
    metric or imperial makes no difference. They will both work fine in the adapters.
    Thanks Tyler!
    Quick check on McMaster and thinking these. They look to be what you ordered?
    https://www.mcmaster.com/9664K55/
    (1/2 OD 0.063 wire)
    (9.5mm ID)

https://www.mcmaster.com/9664K26/
    .563 OD 0.0.63 wire
    (11mm ID)

https://www.mcmaster.com/9664K27/
    0.625" OD 0.063 wire)
    (12.67mm ID)

Thanks Tyler!
    Quick check on McMaster and thinking these. They look to be what you ordered?
    https://www.mcmaster.com/9664K55/
    (1/2 OD 0.063 wire)
    (9.5mm ID)

https://www.mcmaster.com/9664K26/
    .563 OD 0.0.63 wire
    (11mm ID)

https://www.mcmaster.com/9664K27/
    0.625" OD 0.063 wire)
    (12.67mm ID)

this is what I went with. smallest one is for small rifle rounds. skip it if you don't do that.

Extension Spring Stock, 36" Long, 0.625" Od, 0.047" Wire Diameter - 9664K59
    Extension Spring Stock, 36" Long, 0.5" Od, 0.047" Wire Diameter - 9664K44
    Extension Spring Stock, 36" Long, 0.375" Od, 0.035" Wire Diameter - 9664K19

Boolit Man
    this is what I went with. smallest one is for small rifle rounds. skip it if you don't do that.

Extension Spring Stock, 36" Long, 0.625" Od, 0.047" Wire Diameter - 9664K59
    Extension Spring Stock, 36" Long, 0.5" Od, 0.047" Wire Diameter - 9664K44
    Extension Spring Stock, 36" Long, 0.375" Od, 0.035" Wire Diameter - 9664K19
    Thanks ! I was gonna order the thicker wire. But those look perfect. I'll give them a go. the heavy 247gr 300blk keeps getting hung on the regular Double spring and it's driving me crazy.

Thanks ! I was gonna order the thicker wire. But those look perfect. I'll give them a go. the heavy 247gr 300blk keeps getting hung on the regular Double spring and it's driving me crazy.
    The ali express springs wire is 1mm thick, which is perfect. Mcmaster .047inch would be 1.1938mm thick, which is already pretty heavy. I would not go any thicker than that. I always pre-stretch the springs. If you choose to keep it stock and not stretched it will support tons of weight.

Boolit Bub
    It is very interesting to watch your discussion about springs mates...
    looking at that AliExpress style spring availible in inner diameters 10/11/12/13/14mm
    Maybe I can take this opportunity to ask for your expertize?

What inner diameter do you find works best for bullets in calibers 9mm/38sp and .45acp?

Exactly the same question regarding inner spring diameter for brass in above mentioned 9mm/38sp and .45acp?

It is very interesting to watch your discussion about springs mates...
    looking at that AliExpress style spring availible in inner diameters 10/11/12/13/14mm
    Maybe I can take this opportunity to ask for your expertize?

What inner diameter do you find works best for bullets in calibers 9mm/38sp and .45acp?

Exactly the same question regarding inner spring diameter for brass in above mentioned 9mm/38sp and .45acp?
    Just to make sure we are on the same page, the size listed on ali is OD, not ID. So for those calibers I would order 12mm (10mm ID) and 15mm (13mm ID).
    10mm ID will work for 9mm bullets and brass. 13mm ID will work for 45acp bullets and brass, as well as 38sp brass.

Boolit Bub
    I'm looking at the speedcontroller, out of curiousity - do you think one of them cheap Amazon speedcontroller with digital display work as a replacement for the analog turnbutton speed controller?
    I'm no allowed to link an example, right?

Also I saw somewhere someone running 38sp brass, it is not choosable in the .jar, do you happen to know what needs to be printed to run .38sp brass?

Thanks mates for being here!!!

I'm looking at the speedcontroller, out of curiousity - do you think one of them cheap Amazon speedcontroller with digital display work as a replacement for the analog turnbutton speed controller?

Also I saw somewhere someone running 38sp brass, it is not choosable in the .jar, do you happen to know what needs to be printed to run .38sp brass?

I think links to amazon are OK, but not ebay. I've never used the speed cont. you specified.

.38sp brass.....by running brass you mean feeding brass from a collator, or from an APP?

From a collator, I use the large pistol brass collator plate on .357 ok. Tyler can tell you whether the small one has big enough in diameter holes to work with that protruding rim on the .357/.38 brass family. Case length is only 5mm shorter than .357.

As for an APP case inserts, I modified the .357 one already, and just raised the notch 5mm for .38. Both .357 and 38 Special .STLs are below:

APP 38_357 insert.zip

Both modified inserts prevent occasional sideways displacement of the brass that does happen once in a while with the original half cut design.

........38 ..........357......original 357 with half cut (just holds it straight longer and prevents angled presentation to the shell holder.)
    Last edited by GWS; 08-22-2023 at 08:08 PM.

I have been quite successful with the large pistol brass plate and 38 Spl. Small pistol brass plate worked but some slid by hole in slide plate and jammed because of rim diameter. The manual says 0.430 max diameter with small plate. Nominal of 38 Spl rim is 0.440.

Remember the electronics boxes are designed for parts listed, changes would mean you will need to redesign the box or make your own.

GD
    #2 member of the 10%ers

I thought the rim was a problem.....but my brain cells aren't holding on to what they used to. Gillie Dog's are doing better obviously .....and it's been a while since I read what's in the manual. Thanks for the save.....

Boolit Bub
    Thanks mates, your expertize feedback is really really appreciated!

I think this entire project is marvelous!!!

Boolit Bub
    Dear Team !
    With regards to the AliExpress springs what OD do you recommend for 223 bullets and 223 brass ?

Quote Originally Posted by Shooter74 View Post
    Tyler,

I know this is ancient history for you but new for 67 year old me, just got a Lee App and I’m only looking for the 4 hole case feeder and upgraded case slider, I don’t shoot enough to justify building a complete electronic feeder. I haven’t bought a 3d printer, but considering an Elegoo Neptune 3 just don’t know if I would use it for anything other than reloading.

Thanks
    Mike
    Mike, sorry Tyler and I missed this post. Not ignoring on purpose, sometimes we just get into conversations and miss a short post stuck in between by someone.... A flaw in the system......and geeze this is almost a month old.

Anyway, as for 4 hole case feeding, what are you wanting to feed....pistol or rifle or both? Lee's four hole collator works fine for most pistol except maybe 9mm, but I fixed that just adding clear thinline tubing that dropfits inside the existing holes of Lees collator. For rifle I 3D printed a new design that works great, for .308 and .223 both. That's the limit of my experience with the 4-ways, using Lee's 4-way downtube setup.

The upgraded slider is in TylerR's downloads under the APP section and comes in two sizes....size being how far the bottom protrudes towards the case.....try em both and keep the one that works best for what you load.

Your 3D printer choice was a new one for me, but looks real similar to the Creality Enders....with the same size bed. That should work for everything Tyler created except the 300 and Mongo size collator bodies and plates. Most reloading won't require them, except maybe rifle bigger than .223 or maybe even .308. Sorry we're late on this. Hopefully it won't happen again!

BTW here's what I did to make Lee's collator excel at rifle....... https://www.thehighroad.org/index.ph...#post-12638674

And a belated, Welcome to our 3D printed Collator Thread!

Quote Originally Posted by rogerandre View Post
    Dear Team !
    With regards to the AliExpress springs what OD do you recommend for 223 bullets and 223 brass ?
    Another new poster, rogerandre! Also welcome to our 3D printed Collator Thread! I bought one spring from them several years ago, but is was for .45, so I'm not able to answer directly. But I will say that ID is the important measurement.....and Tyler's adapters are close enough to fit most springs.

So for 223 Bullets I actually bought a spring that meaures 1/4" ID and even it fit the adapter that was closest...in MM it measures 6.5mm ID and about 8mm OD. So if I were picking one from AliExpress, if all they supply is OD then subtract from that, wire diameter X 2, giving you ID. Then pick a spring that is at least 6.5mm ID.

One thing I noticed about the Ali spring was the small wire size...so be careful, you don't want it so floppy that it sags enough to slow or stop flow. A good stateside source is McMaster-Carr. Even their smallest diameter wire size is not floppy.

Springs for 223 Cases need to be even less "floppy" or they will get stuck. I prefer to use rigid thinline tubing for cases, but I think TylerR has done some springs with some...don't know just what. Maybe he will see this post and add. I would think springs with at least 12mm ID would be necessary....
    https://www.mcmaster.com/products/sp...ype~extension/
    Last edited by GWS; 08-20-2023 at 08:50 PM.

Boolit Bub
    Huge thanks for the fast reply ! Really appreciate it !

So for 223 bullets the 9 mm OD/7 mm ID ought to work.
    And for 223 brass the 15 mm OD/13 mm ID ought to work.

Waiting for TylerR feedback before I order.

Once again thanks and have a great day !

Quote Originally Posted by GWS View Post
    Mike, sorry Tyler and I missed this post. Not ignoring on purpose, sometimes we just get into conversations and miss a short post stuck in between by someone.... A flaw in the system......and geeze this is almost a month old.

Anyway, as for 4 hole case feeding, what are you wanting to feed....pistol or rifle or both? Lee's four hole collator works fine for most pistol except maybe 9mm, but I fixed that just adding clear thinline tubing that dropfits inside the existing holes of Lees collator. For rifle I 3D printed a new design that works great, for .308 and .223 both. That's the limit of my experience with the 4-ways, using Lee's 4-way downtube setup.

The upgraded slider is in TylerR's downloads under the APP section and comes in two sizes....size being how far the bottom protrudes towards the case.....try em both and keep the one that works best for what you load.

Your 3D printer choice was a new one for me, but looks real similar to the Creality Enders....with the same size bed. That should work for everything Tyler created except the 300 and Mongo size collator bodies and plates. Most reloading won't require them, except maybe rifle bigger than .223 or maybe even .308. Sorry we're late on this. Hopefully it won't happen again!

BTW here's what I did to make Lee's collator excel at rifle....... https://www.thehighroad.org/index.ph...#post-12638674

And a belated, Welcome to our 3D printed Collator Thread!

Another new poster, rogerandre! Also welcome to our 3D printed Collator Thread! I bought one spring from them several years ago, but is was for .45, so I'm not able to answer directly. But I will say that ID is the important measurement.....and Tyler's adapters are close enough to fit most springs.

So for 223 Bullets I actually bought a spring that meaures 1/4" ID and even it fit the adapter that was closest...in MM it measures 6.5mm ID and about 8mm OD. So if I were picking one from AliExpress, if all they supply is OD then subtract from that, wire diameter X 2, giving you ID. Then pick a spring that is at least 6.5mm ID.

One thing I noticed about the Ali spring was the small wire size...so be careful, you don't want it so floppy that it sags enough to slow or stop flow. A good stateside source is McMaster-Carr. Even their smallest diameter wire size is not floppy.

Springs for 223 Cases need to be even less "floppy" or they will get stuck. I prefer to use rigid thinline tubing for cases, but I think TylerR has done some springs with some...don't know just what. Maybe he will see this post and add. I would think springs with at least 12mm ID would be necessary....
    https://www.mcmaster.com/products/sp...ype~extension/
    GWS covered it all very well as usual. For .223 I would go with the ali 9mm OD(7mm ID) spring. Brass go with the 13mm OD (11mm ID). That will give you plenty of clearance for both. The ali springs come tightly wound, and are plenty rigid enough. I usually stretch them but if you leave them as is they will offer tons of strength for heavier stuff.