RotoMetals2RepackboxInline FabricationLee Precision
Titan ReloadingADvertise hereMidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Making that Bullet Collator

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by TylerR View Post
    Here is my latest addition. I added a slider to the brass feeding plate to account for rifle brass. This allows you to adjust the width of the drop hole, which is needed for different rifle calibers.

Attachment 270996
    printed and a little grease as you recommend and it's perfect. All the pieces are starting to come together. Printing the 300bo plate currently.

Quote Originally Posted by djinnpb View Post
    printed and a little grease as you recommend and it's perfect. All the pieces are starting to come together. Printing the 300bo plate currently.
    Awesome! I did redesign the small rifle brass plates to be 6mm high instead of 8mm, but that shouldn't make a big difference. I also noticed some issue with crows feet, so I once again modified the generator to add a bottom bevel. On yours you may want to take an xacto knife to the bottom ridge if you notice any issues.

I was looking at the 6.5 creedmoor/.308 stuff some more, and did a little testing with a bogus rifle plate I had. One of the issues is getting the really long bullets to fall in the vertical hole. I saw that the one on thingiverse had a custom collator plate, and I wondered if I could reproduce something similar in the generator. The concept is to spread the holes out further, and have a ridge that stops the bullet right at the far edge of the hold so it will drop in. This is what I came up with. Original in gray, mine in yellow. Adding the sliding slots is optional as always.

Looking for feedback.....

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rifleplate.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	24.2 KB 
ID:	271159

Quote Originally Posted by lablover View Post
    I want to play with that more. My .2 layer height for some reason looks terrible! Even replaced the nozzle etc. I’ve got something set wrong someplace. .12 layer height looks great. Printers almost took a shotgun blast today I swear...hahaha

I always find fresh rolls of pla always print better for me. I may have toasted the pla I had in the filament heater. Left it on for like 3 days cooking. Lol
    One of the few perks for living in dry as hades New Mexico, is that I haven't had a problem with water wicking..... Thought I would a couple of months ago when I had my evaporative cooler going (cools, but puts moisture in the indoor air), but it wasn't a problem.

My print is now past the 24 hour mark (at which I took more pictures, below).

I am documenting this print closer than any other, because of the variable layer height feature I implemented. It may be a useful learning experience for you folks as well as me....to help with decisions about whether that feature is useful or not....in spite of the 6 hour? increase in print time. 39 hours is the projected length of this base print.

Here's the overall picture of the ongoing as I post, print....will it ever get done!:

I also measured the speed of wall building.....a whopping 1/8" per hour! At my age this is a trial....my patience waiting (except for death and taxes) is getting thin as get within 30 years of the century mark!

Once again look at the screen shot of how IdeaMaker handles layer height on this print, then pay attention to the visible bands in the following pictures that denote changes in layer density. (in the IdeaMaker projection, green is .20, blue is .1 or .12) :

Name:	Adaptive-layers-turned-on.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	43.8 KB 
ID:	271166

None of the layers look that rough do they?

Notice the marks to the right of the hole....layer stops and starts? The setting is random....but it isn't that random if that's what it is.

I'm curious about the vertical lines......not those that denote flats on the .stl circles, but the ones only 1/32" apart? Just curious why?
    Last edited by GWS; 11-10-2020 at 08:01 PM.

I was looking at the 6.5 creedmoor/.308 stuff some more, and did a little testing with a bogus rifle plate I had. One of the issues is getting the really long bullets to fall in the vertical hole. I saw that the one on thingiverse had a custom collator plate, and I wondered if I could reproduce something similar in the generator. The concept is to spread the holes out further, and have a ridge that stops the bullet right at the far edge of the hold so it will drop in. This is what I came up with. Original in gray, mine in yellow. Adding the sliding slots is optional as always.

Looking for feedback.....

Views:	14 
Size:	24.2 KB 
ID:	271159
    Tyler, what if you add another slide at each hole, from each hole's centerline, at a 45 degree angle from the existing slides, for which to slide bullet toward the holes and their stops from two directions. One stop being the base wall, the other stop being the raised edges you added?

Quote Originally Posted by GWS View Post
    One of the few perks for living in dry as hades New Mexico, is that I haven't had a problem with water wicking..... Thought I would a couple of months ago when I had my evaporative cooler going (cools, but puts moisture in the indoor air), but it wasn't a problem.

My print is now past the 24 hour mark (at which I took more pictures, below).

I am documenting this print closer than any other, because of the variable layer height feature I implemented. It may be a useful learning experience for you folks as well as me....to help with decisions about whether that feature is useful or not....inspite of the 6 hour? increase in print time. 39 hours is the projected length of this base print.

Heres the overall picture of the ongoing print:

I also measured the speed of wall building.....a whopping 1/8" per hour! At my age this is a trial....my patience waiting (except for death and taxes) is getting thin as get within 30 years of the century mark!

Once again look at the screen shot of how IdeaMaker handles layer height on this print, then pay attention to the visible bands in the following pictures that denote changes in layer density. (in the IdeaMaker projection, green is .20, blue is .1 or .12) :

Name:	Adaptive-layers-turned-on.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	43.8 KB 
ID:	271166

None of the layers look that rough do they?

Notice the marks to the right of the hole....I think layer stop and starts? The setting is random....but it isn't that random.
    Yea that print is looking real good. I want to like ideamaker but itís crashed on me a few times. Then again Iím using a Mac sooooooo. I keep going back to cura but still liking the print quality in Prusa slicer. Just curious, what are you all printing drop tubes at? Layer height I mean. I did one at 2 and it sucked but good.
    I think tomorrow Iíll crack ope a new spool of overture and give this one a break...lol
    Also going to try the acetone on the creality bed. Just got a new plate for the ender 3 and itís the same as yours

Boolit Mold
    Neat stuff there guys.
    If bankrupting the counrty is the goal its darn near a success.

There are utopian country's available for folks that despise the US constitution.

Me, i said it.

Quote Originally Posted by GWS View Post
    Tyler, what if you add another slide at each hole, from each hole's centerline, at a 45 degree angle from the existing slides, for which to slide bullet toward the holes and their stops from two directions. One stop being the base wall, the other stop being the raised edges you added?
    Check this out. I think this is the ticket right here.

Views:	13 
Size:	16.3 KB 
ID:	271175

Quote Originally Posted by lablover View Post
    Yea that print is looking real good. I want to like ideamaker but it’s crashed on me a few times. Then again I’m using a Mac sooooooo. I keep going back to cura but still liking the print quality in Prusa slicer. Just curious, what are you all printing drop tubes at? Layer height I mean. I did one at 2 and it sucked but good.
    I think tomorrow I’ll crack ope a new spool of overture and give this one a break...lol
    Also going to try the acetone on the creality bed. Just got a new plate for the ender 3 and it’s the same as yours
    Can't even comment on Apple (allergic to them).....but,I'd email Raise3D and ask them about it.......they responded to my email, complaining about the dark interface, and now I get to use it with a light interface.

The new Creality plate has a lot of brownish gunk on it which the acetone will take off (alcohol did too but slower). But don't worry, it worked better with it gone, IME.

My drop tubes were printed at .2. But the next one is going to be .12 all the way.....I'll just have to find a diversion while it's printing.

Maybe, maybe..... The worst part is waiting for the plastic to print. Personally I'd be tempted to make one from wood using a drill press and a Dremel tool, and pound nails vertically behind the uprights, and glue the uprights (also wood) in front of them. .....then throw it away if it didn't work! I know wood shops, but this plastic factory is neat, slower than frozen grease...but I don't have to work....just watch impatiently or get the heck away from it.

But it's worth a try.......if too slow add the other slider trough.
    Last edited by GWS; 11-10-2020 at 08:29 PM.

Dude, you are out of control! Epic work my friend

Boolit Bub

The biggest issue I had with the thingiverse one was since the bullets were so long they'd ride up on the ridge of the plate and just rotate in the back of the bowl. Your design seems to fix that issue. I'll be curious to see how well the bullet flipping part works since that was the other part that was giving me fits no matter what speed/angle I went at.

Name:	3082.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	30.6 KB 
ID:	271177

Had a thought.....yes it even happens to me.....

On my shakers you have a slight funnel that runs the bullets towards the hole. Why not make a funnel around each hole....doesn't have to be deep, just wide. Since you have the verticals the funnel could be as big around as say 1" diameter centered on the holes but going around from plate edge to the upright.

Boolit Bub
    In other news, my print is on its way. Only 23.5 hours left!

Name:	p1.jpg 
Size:	56.9 KB 
ID:	271180

Quote Originally Posted by noacess View Post
    In other news, my print is on its way. Only 23.5 hours left!

Name:	p1.jpg 
Size:	56.9 KB 
ID:	271180

Great, another prusa photo. I’ve had one in the cart for a week...just can’t “pull the trigger”

Boolit Bub

That does indeed look like the ticket! The original in gray fixed all the issues I had. You sir are definitely on a roll! What parameters did you use to get those bullet spike troughs?
    Whenever you update the generator or file I'll also print one to test and the deep ramp piece. I have spent more time on 247gr cast boolits with the other one (original in gray), probably more grumbling and fidgeting until I found that one. This will likely make me print another big base :O and maybe just use the original AM one for just sizing. Epic and coincidentally I just ordered more filament. It's a sign!

Quote Originally Posted by djinnpb View Post
    That does indeed look like the ticket! The original in gray fixed all the issues I had. You sir are definitely on a roll! What parameters did you use to get those bullet spike troughs?
    Whenever you update the generator or file I'll also print one to test and the deep ramp piece. I have spent more time on 247gr cast boolits with the other one (original in gray), probably more grumbling and fidgeting until I found that one. This will likely make me print another big base :O and maybe just use the original AM one for just sizing. Epic and coincidentally I just ordered more filament. It's a sign!
    I just started printing mine. I will post it in just a little bit. These are the settings I used to produce this, using the new parameters. centerRidges = false and rotateSlides = true;

description="Long Rifle Bullet (#4)"; //description
    caliber=7.82; //ENTER YOUR CALIBER HERE
    collator_plate_h=18; //plate height - pistol 13, rifle 18

// RIFLE BRASS PLATE OPTIONS
    // Use caliber setting for hole length
    isRifleBrassPlate = false;
    rifleHoleWidth = 9;

// PLATE OPTIONS
    addPivots = false; // Add pivots for base down brass feeding
    addSlides = true; // Add sliding slots for bullets
    addRidges = true; // Add top ridges for brass plates
    centerRidges = false; // if false ridges align with far side of hole
    rotateSlides = true; // Rotate slides 90 degrees in front of hole
    ridgeAlternate = false; // Skip every other hole
    ridgeHeight = 3.0; // Ridge height in mm
    ridgeLength = 15; // Ridge length in mm
    hole_multiplier=3.5; // Modify the number of holes

addBevel = true; // Add top bevel to holes
    bevelSize = 1.5; // Change depth of bevel (1.3 - 1.6)

v1.1.3 uploading now.

Boolit Bub
    v1.1.3 uploading now.
    Awesome. Is the new collator generator the only change?

Quote Originally Posted by noacess View Post
    Awesome. Is the new collator generator the only change?
    I also regenerated the rifle brass plates, and added the new "deep dish" rifle bullet slide.
    I am in a stage of tweaking things on a daily basis, so in general my suggestion is if you haven't printed a part and are thinking about it, always download the latest.

So I'm not going to lie, this new design has me rethinking these collator plates in general. At a minimum I am going to also change the large rifle bullet plate. With the small plate I am not sure it matters.

I really can't wait to get you guys trying all these different possible combinations. To be honest, I have printed out so many plates I am going to need a second job to pay for the plastic. lol

Page 111 of 123 FirstFirst ... 1161101102103104105106107108109110111112113114115116117118119120121 ... LastLast