Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataTitan Reloading
Wideners Lee Precision

Thread: Making that Bullet Collator

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by boardthatpowder View Post
    I'm unable to run the PartsGenerator.jar on a Mac. Decompiling it and looking at the source code there are quite a few places where file names/paths are being constructed with hardcoded string `\` as the path separator instead of using something like `java.io.File.separator`. This won't work on anything but Windows.

Is the source code in a repo somewhere so I can fix it?
    My normal response to Mac users is buy a real computer hahahaha

But you are right, I should have used "/" instead of ""

I will put up a link shortly for you

Quote Originally Posted by o416 View Post

But you are right, I should have used "/" instead of ""

I will put up a link shortly for you
    That's it. You're fired!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by TylerR View Post
    That's it. You're fired!
    That's fine, the benefits sucked anyways :P

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by GWS View Post
    Nor mine using IdeaMaker.
    That was Chitubox, looks like the slicer doing something then...

Boolit Buddy
    I'm unable to run the PartsGenerator.jar on a Mac. Decompiling it and looking at the source code there are quite a few places where file names/paths are being constructed with hardcoded string `\` as the path separator instead of using something like `java.io.File.separator`. This won't work on anything but Windows.

Is the source code in a repo somewhere so I can fix it?
    Try this version for Mac:
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Ksv...ew?usp=sharing

My only concern is with the OpenSCAD CLI commands on a Mac. They might not work the way I am calling for collator plate generation.

Can you please test the Collator Plate Generator too?

Thx!

Boolit Mold
    haha that's exactly what I say to Windows users

Try this version for Mac:
    Thanks for the quick turnaround but it's still failing. Decompiling I see a mixture of hardcoded Windows and non-Windows paths. Instead of building paths by concatenating strings can you try platform agnostic such as ```new File(path, filename).getAbsolutePath()```? Or is you can send me over the source code I can update it and test it then send it back.

Boolit Buddy

Thanks for the quick turnaround but it's still failing. Decompiling I see a mixture of hardcoded Windows and non-Windows paths. Instead of building paths by concatenating strings can you try platform agnostic such as ```new File(path, filename).getAbsolutePath()```? Or is you can send me over the source code I can update it and test it then send it back.
    The only hardcoded Windows stuff are the paths to the project and OpenSCAD. I have removed those now and use System queries to get locations for both.

Here is the new link:
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1FgZ...ew?usp=sharing

The Project Generator part should work flawlessly now. The Collator Plate Genertor might not because the CLI commands for Mac might be different.

Can you please verify if the Project Generator is creating the ZIP files? Make sure that the path to the project is correct; if the .jar is in the project that will suffice

Then, test the Collator Plate Generator and let me know what happens. We can then look at sending you the source.

Thx!

Boolit Buddy

A screenshot of what you see would be nice too

Boolit Mold
    The app loads and displays the correct path for the project location. When I click start is see an empty Parts.zip created with 0 file size, but nothing else. The decompiled code looks like it publishes progress messages but all I see is the progress bar moving as the following:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-02-13 at 4.41.27 PM.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	59.2 KB 
ID:	277563

Maybe an error somewhere still with it trying to determine the path of the stl to add to the zip?

Boolit Bub
    I just uploaded a .44 insert. Please try it with the .45 die body and let me know how it works.
    Tried with some jacketed and cast bullets, all worked nicely; much appreciated... Maybe it could be a good idea to rename the die body as .45/.44 now that it works for both...

Boolit Buddy
    The app loads and displays the correct path for the project location. When I click start is see an empty Parts.zip created with 0 file size, but nothing else. The decompiled code looks like it publishes progress messages but all I see is the progress bar moving as the following:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-02-13 at 4.41.27 PM.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	59.2 KB 
ID:	277563

Maybe an error somewhere still with it trying to determine the path of the stl to add to the zip?
    I am stumped. The fact that it is creating a .zip file in the folder shows that it has the paths correct.

PM me your email.

Boolit Buddy
    7mm Die body needs another modification.
    I installed it on the progressive for the first time and I can’t get it low enough to touch the shell plate as the other bullet feeder dies do.
    I think the body length is good but another 1” of thread is needed.

Last edited by thump_rrr; 02-14-2021 at 09:36 AM.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by thump_rrr View Post
    7mm Die body needs another modification.
    I installed it on the progressive for the first time and I can’t get it low enough to touch the shell plate as the other bullet feeder dies do.
    I think the body length is good but another 1” of thread is needed.]
    Hi thump_rrr,
    Just curious, why does it need to touch the shell plate? Does the case not push up high enough to actuate the dropper? Also, I see you're using both the locknut and spring holder. Does it help if you remove the locknut and just use the spring holder as it appears that's just about all the distance you're short?
    Ed

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by RedlegEd View Post
    Hi thump_rrr,
    Just curious, why does it need to touch the shell plate? Does the case not push up high enough to actuate the dropper? Also, I see you're using both the locknut and spring holder. Does it help if you remove the locknut and just use the spring holder as it appears that's just about all the distance you're short?
    Ed
    If I don't use the second locknut I can get it low enough to where it will actuate but then I don't have any adjustability to where the springs end up especially with the other spring attachment points on the die body.
    Also when I add the other dies to the press I may need to rotate the drop tube so that the switch doesn't get in the way of other things.
    A little more adjustability wouldn't hurt.
    You can see how much more adjustability the Hornady dies have.
    It's not like the real estate isn't there to add more threads.

If I don't use the second locknut I can get it low enough to where it will actuate but then I don't have any adjustability to where the springs end up especially with the other spring attachment points on the die body.
    Also when I add the other dies to the press I may need to rotate the drop tube so that the switch doesn't get in the way of other things.
    A little more adjustability wouldn't hurt.
    You can see how much more adjustability the Hornady dies have.
    It's not like the real estate isn't there to add more threads.
    As Ed pointed out, there is no reason for the die body to touch the shell plate, like you would with a sizing die. Technically, the die only needs to be screwed in far enough to get a bullet to drop when the brass case is in its highest position. With these rifle dies, I suspect that happens before the die is even all the way in the press. In which case, you would just screw it in flush to the bottom so you have full thread engagement, but even that isn't actually necessary to get the dropper to function the way it's supposed to.

Just to add. The reason why the springs had to stretch so far before was because the die body was not long enough, but screwing it overly far in the press will make it worse as well. With the new longer die body, adjustments to the spring clips, and screwing the die in flush, a much shorter spring can be used with the dedicated clip points on the die itself. The new springs I ordered are .875" long (but 1" would work too) and will stretch 2" at max load, which I believe will work very well.
    Last edited by TylerR; 02-14-2021 at 11:38 AM.

Boolit Buddy
    As Ed pointed out, there is no reason for the die body to touch the shell plate, like you would with a sizing die. Technically, the die only needs to be screwed in far enough to get a bullet to drop when the brass case is in its highest position. With these rifle dies, I suspect that happens before the die is even all the way in the press. In which case, you would just screw it in flush to the bottom so you have full thread engagement, but even that isn't actually necessary to get the dropper to function the way it's supposed to.

Just to add. The reason why the springs had to stretch so far before was because the die body was not long enough, but screwing it overly far in the press will make it worse as well. With the new longer die body, adjustments to the spring clips, and screwing the die in flush, a much shorter spring can be used with the dedicated clip points on the die itself. The new springs I ordered are .875" long (but 1" would work too) and will stretch 2" at max load, which I believe will work very well.
    In the limited testing I’ve done today the only time it is dropping bullets reliably 100% of the time is when it is almost touching the plate.
    I haven’t had a lot of time this morning because I am on my way to go shooting.

In the limited testing I’ve done today the only time it is dropping bullets reliably 100% of the time is when it is almost touching the plate.
    I haven’t had a lot of time this morning because I am on my way to go shooting.
    I am not sure but that should have nothing to do with it. The way you are supposed to set the die, is to first pick a set of bearing holes that are slightly below the height of the bullet. Assemble the die, screw it part way in to the press and place a couple of bullets into it. Put a piece of brass in the shell plate and raise it to its highest point. Continue screwing the die in to the press until a bullet drops. Screw the die another full turn and you should be good to go.

I just created a dedicated .44 die body. It is 10mm longer then the 45 to account for the longer case. Will be in the next update.

Boolit Mold
    Printed the body and the 223 bullet plate. the plate needed to be sanded down to make it fit the body without hanging up. It was making contact on opposite sides, Upper Left and Lower Right. Anybody have problem with this before? Could my printer be slightly off? I did notice a slight elephants foot, however I still had contact after getting this smoothed out and that was just on two or three "segments" of the plate

Quote Originally Posted by yoterunner View Post
    Printed the body and the 223 bullet plate. the plate needed to be sanded down to make it fit the body without hanging up. It was making contact on opposite sides, Upper Left and Lower Right. Anybody have problem with this before? Could my printer be slightly off? I did notice a slight elephants foot, however I still had contact after getting this smoothed out and that was just on two or three "segments" of the plate
    In the latest version the stock plates are set to 180mm, which is 2mm less then the body. I made this change to reduce the slop for certain bullets that people were having problems with. It was 179.5mm before. You can reprint the plate at 179.5mm or less if you need to.