Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingWidenersInline Fabrication
Load DataRepackboxReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters Supply RotoMetals2

Thread: .45 ACP Primer Sorter

Boolit Master

.45 ACP Primer Sorter

Hi All,
    I've been quiet for a while and thought I'd make a post just to contribute. Anyone who shoots and reloads .45 ACP is very well aware of the cursed small pistol primer cases that seem to pop up more regularly in range brass, and even in the stuff we buy. In addition to eyeballing them, there are many methods to sort LPP and SPP brass, some of which are a little more tedious than others. I designed and printed a sorting tray that is easy to load with 100 cases (put it in a tight fitting box, drop in the decapped cases and shake.) The SPP brass stands proud about 1/16", while the LPP brass lays flush to the grid. Then, I just use a pair of tweezers to pull one size or the other, depending on which has less. I don't pinch the case wall, rather insert the tweezer and let it expand to grip the case and extract. Just PM me, and I'll be happy to share the .STL and .scad files for anyone wanting to print one. I recommend using a resolution of .16mm or better since the tolerances are kind of tight (it does take a long time to print, but it's worth it.) I would publish this on Thingiverse, but as @tanders posted about 3D Etiquette, there are too many people who would just steal the design and sell it on Ebay. Hope you find it as useful as I did.
    Ed

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	45ACP_Primer_Sorter_1.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	61.5 KB 
ID:	326126 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	45ACP_Primer_Sorter_2.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	73.9 KB 
ID:	326127
    Last edited by RedlegEd; 04-30-2024 at 10:53 AM.

Windy West Texas, between the rocks, and the trees.
    Slick!
    Rights, and Privileges, are not synonymous. We have the Right to Bear Arms. As soon as the Government mandates firearm registration, and permiting, then that Right becomes a Privilege, and may be taken away at our Master's discretion.

Ingenious idea. I never noticed the difference in case length before. You should probably patent this.
    "Experience is a series of non-fatal mistakes"

Disarming is a mistake free people only get to make once...

Boolit Master
    Good job I wish I was better at designing things I need and like.
    Stop being blinded by your own ignorance.

Boolit Buddy

Good idea! My Dillon chokes when a small pistol primer case gets through the case feeder and goes into the reprime stage. I pin tumble clean my brass and inspect each case before they go into the case feeder but every once in awhile one manages to get past these old eyes and stops the reloading process. The old inline CH progressive chokes too!

Boolit Master
    What makes them stick up 1/16? I've measured my LP brass and SP brass and they are all the same length,which seems to make sense since both SP and LP are made to chamber in the same guns and they headspace on the mouth-- so how could they be different? Not saying its a bad idea-- in fact its great-- just don't understand how it works.
    Hick: Iron sights!

Boolit Mold
    That looks like a straight forward way to solve that problem. Good on you for designing it. I'll have to give this a print after I get my shotgun forend all jigged up.

Moderator Emeritus
    There are nubs on the bottom of each slot. You can see them in the picture. They must be sized larger than a SP primer diameter and smaller than a LP primer, causing them to enter the LP primer pocket, with the SP pockets stay on top of the nub, leaving the case higher.

Great idea, by the way!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Hick View Post
    What makes them stick up 1/16? I've measured my LP brass and SP brass and they are all the same length,which seems to make sense since both SP and LP are made to chamber in the same guns and they headspace on the mouth-- so how could they be different? Not saying its a bad idea-- in fact its great-- just don't understand how it works.
    Quote Originally Posted by garandsrus View Post
    There are nubs on the bottom of each slot. You can see them in the picture. They must be sized larger than a SP primer diameter and smaller than a LP primer, causing them to enter the LP primer pocket, with the SP pockets stay on top of the nub, leaving the case higher.

Great idea, by the way!
    @garandsrus Winner, winner, chicken dinner! You are exactly correct. I sized the nubs at the bottom of each cell to fit into a LPP pocket, but are too wide to fit into a SPP pocket, so they stick up an extra 2mm. If you notice the two cases that are flipped are exactly the same length because the nub fits inside the case mouth. Sometimes, the simplest solution is the most elegant.

Ed

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Scoutjoe View Post
    That looks like a straight forward way to solve that problem. Good on you for designing it. I'll have to give this a print after I get my shotgun forend all jigged up.
    Just shoot me a PM and I'll send you the .STL file.
    Ed

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by scattershot View Post
    Ingenious idea. I never noticed the difference in case length before. You should probably patent this.
    Hi,
    Case lengths are the same, just the SPP won't fit down over the nub, so it appears taller.
    Ed

Boolit Master
    Well done, wish I had a printer!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RedlegEd View Post
    @garandsrus Winner, winner, chicken dinner! You are exactly correct. I sized the nubs at the bottom of each cell to fit into a LPP pocket, but are too wide to fit into a SPP pocket, so they stick up an extra 2mm. If you notice the two cases that are flipped are exactly the same length because the nub fits inside the case mouth. Sometimes, the simplest solution is the most elegant.

Ed
    Got it! neat! although I use both types and never had any trouble sorting them by eye-- an even simpler solution (I just put all the cases in the plastic trays primer side up and the smaller ones are obvious).
    Hick: Iron sights!

Boolit Master

sent a PM for the files

they are coming out with .45 Colt in SPP, now--another project for you?

walt
    NRA Life
    USPSA L1314
    SASS Life 48747
    RVN/Cambodia War Games, 2nd Place

Smart idea. But I deprime and reprime on my Dillon or Lyman TMag presses. By the time I deprime my 45acp brass just to check them in your handy dandy primer sorter I could just look at the primer and sort them then. I shoot a variety of 45 ammo and when I collect enough I vibrate them all at one time. I then sort them—.45acp [small and lg primers], .45long colt, .455 Webley [small and lg primers], .45 cowboy special and .45 Schofield. But it’s still a smart idea.
    Last edited by Baltimoreed; 05-01-2024 at 09:49 PM.

I like it! I sort a 5gal bucket at a time with a fast and friendly Brass case inspection machine. Gets fed by a standard case feeder.

Quick vid. The standard Dillon case feeder I’m using makes it miserably slow to use, but I have a new plate that I haven’t used yet it’s supposed to double the speed.

https://imgur.com/a/DlByosXhttps://imgur.com/a/DlByosX

Boolit Master
    I hand sorted about 1,500 recently and thought I had them all in the correct piles. When I went to seat primers I found that a simple visual isn't 100% trustworthy. I do aim to go to great lengths to never shoot SP and LP 45 ACP at the same time so they never get mixed again! This would be a handy tool for sorting.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 35 Rem View Post
    I hand sorted about 1,500 recently and thought I had them all in the correct piles. When I went to seat primers I found that a simple visual isn't 100% trustworthy. I do aim to go to great lengths to never shoot SP and LP 45 ACP at the same time so they never get mixed again! This would be a handy tool for sorting.

As I have aged, 78, I have found that my visual sorting skills diminish. It would be worth it to me to use this. I already deprime off the machine so I can wet tumble and this would be a small addition to the time needed to reload.

going to give it a try and report back
    NRA Life
    USPSA L1314
    SASS Life 48747
    RVN/Cambodia War Games, 2nd Place