RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionWidenersRepackbox
Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
Titan Reloading Load Data
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help me choose a new revolver.

Boolit Bub

Help me choose a new revolver.

I'm looking into purchasing a new revolver. While I'm not necessarily recoil shy, shooting a large magnum like a .454 or .500 does not strike me as fun. The most powerful or recoil heavy handgun I have shot is the 357 mag. I enjoy shooting mine. I shoot mine quite often and am reasonably accurate out to any ethical hunting distance. I do however sort of want a larger revolver that is not punishing to shoot. Looking at the 45 Colt, 41 Rem mag, or maybe the 44 mag. It's purpose would be informal target shooting, plinking, and close range deer hunting. Here in Illinois we have rules in place for handgun hunting deer. The only rule that would be in play here is 500 ft/lbs or more at the muzzle. Looking at my loading manuals, they seem to indicate the 45 Colt would need to be loaded on the heavier side to achieve the needed 500 ft/lbs with 250-300gr cast bullets. Instead I could easily download the 41 and 44 to a more manageable recoil level and still easily surpass the minimum ft/lb requirement. While I have no qualms about shooting a deer at 10 to 50 yards with a 250 gr swc bullet at 850 fps muzzle velocity, the state has other ideas. I like Ruger, so whatever caliber it is, it will be chambered in a Blackhawk, Redhawk, etc. Barrel length would likely be 6" plus or minus. Really could use some guidance on this. Thanks.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    I think you could do lots worse than a Ruger Super Blackhawk .44 Magnum. You don't need to run full-charge loads in it, it is fun to shoot with .44-40 level loads, and will do most hunting tasks fine with 7 grains of Bullseye and the Hornady 200- or 240-grain XTPs, or flatnosed cowboy bullets.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

I would look at a S&W 25 in 45 Colt. I've got a 4" 25-7 in 45LC and I absolutely love it. It shoots great, is easy to load for and can handle your Whitetail hunting easily. I've got a 44 mag as well as a couple of 357's but the 25 is the one I reach for when I carry one the revolvers. I don't have a lot of experience with SA revolvers so can't speak about them.

Boolit Bub
    The only other twist I can think of is I would likely also purchase a carbine/rifle in the same caliber.

Boolit Master

Personally...given your parameters...I'd be looking for a 6" Blackhawk in .41 Mag. Yeah, brass is a little harder to find...and a little more expensive...but, for the handloader/caster, the cartridge is every bit as flexible as the .44 Mag and I prefer the Blackhawk frame/size over the SBH. Believe me, the Illinois whitetail ain't been born that could tell the difference between a well-placed .41 and a similarly placed. 44 from 50 yards out.

Bill
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

Boolit Master

I would go with the SBH in 44 magnum you can always load it down I like my 41 magnum but like my 44 just a little more
    what part of the state are you in
    kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

Boolit Buddy

I recently purchased a redhawk in 44 mag 7.5" and I love it. Full magnums are more comfortable to shoot with some rubber grips

Boolit Bub
    Luckydawg13, I live in Fairmount. About 25 miles due east of Champaign Urbana.

My folks gave me a Ruger Blackhawk .41 magnum for Christmass in 1969. Best revolver ever (for me). For paper targets,steel,hunting,plinking or self defence, I know I could not have a better gun. With cast or jacket, from mild to wild, I have never had a more accurate, or reliable, revolver. I have owned about fifty handguns in the years since I got that Ruger. Some were great. Some not so good. Some were bad. In my opinion, you would be well server with a Ruger Blackhawk in .41 mag.

Boolit Master
    45 Colt, just because

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by JNG3 View Post
    Luckydawg13, I live in Fairmount. About 25 miles due east of Champaign Urbana.
    I'm at the other end of the state I was going to say if you wanted to try the 41 and 44 magnums that let you try them side by side
    kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

Boolit Master
    44 magnum is easy, cheap and flexible. The Ruger S/A revolvers are very durable, and range from very to extremely accurate in my experience. The triggers typically need work, but that is easy and free if you are remotely handy.

Boolit Master

Sooooo. . .

What do they do, chronograph your ammo in the field and cite you if it isn't fast enough?
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Boolit Master
    45 colt, it does everything well.

Boolit Master
    Hodgdon has 7 loads that will meet your needs for the 45 colt. They all start above 500 fps and go up from there.

Boolit Buddy

I own both a Ruger Super Blackhawk (44 mag.) and a Colt single action army clone in 45 Colt. I think you would be happy with either caliber.

Boolit Grand Master
    The 44 Magnum tilts my recommendation here, once you elect to add a rifle of the same caliber to the mix. There are a lot more 44 Magnum leverguns "out there" than there are 41 Mag or 45 Colt. 44 Magnum is generally more popular than the other options, as well--so ammo and platform choices are more extensive.

If you can try out a Bisley Model Ruger Blackhawk, a lot of folks find that grip shape more amenable to recoil management than the plow-handle Blackhawk stocks. As far as recoil management goes......Elmer Keith said volumes when he stated that "1200 FPS is all you need" using his Keith SWC (Lyman #429421) from a revolver for big game. 240 grainers sent at 1100-1200 FPS from my S&W Mountain Gun are brisk, but not punishing. Those loads from my Redhawk border on being docile--that hefty Ruger boat anchor soaks up recoil very well. I have a Bisley Blackhawk in 45 Colt, also--250 grain bullets (Lyman #454490) run at 1100-1200 FPS don't beat ya real hard, so similar loadings from a 44 Bishawk should do the trick for you. HTH.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Another vote for the .45 Colt.

Boolit Master

230 grains at 1000 fps gets you there for energy, and I can tell you that speed out of a 45C/ACP 4.25" Redhawk ain't bad. I wouldn't really consider that "loading up" - certainly not in Redhawk terms.

I've got a fair amount of time on the Ruger SA and DA lineup. Probably the most comfortable shooters would be similar loads in the .44 Redhawks or the Blackhawk Hunter with their heavy top ribs. The 5.5" Redhawk is an OK compromise to the 7.5" for a walking around gun. The 4.25" RH with it's round butt is a DANDY carry piece - and a fun jug buster to 100Y thus far.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Banned
    the ruger sbh with a 5.5" barrel in 44 mag. i use a 44spl with 250gr keith and 7.5gr of unique and a 280gr gc wfn and 10gr of unique in 44 mag. i can load 2400 in my 44 mag but the deer don't care!!!