Load DataReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
WidenersSnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee Precision Repackbox

Thread: Question on Ruger old model (3 screw) blackhawk 357

Boolit Bub

Question on Ruger old model (3 screw) blackhawk 357

Recently acquired this old 3 screw BH. Its the small frame .357 and has the transfer bar conversion.

Works fine but the third click is hammer full cock and the fourth click drops the cylinder bolt into the notch. That cant be right, can it....should be the other way around? If its wrong I cant figure out what the problem is. The arms on the pawl dont look worn, the gun looks relatively low mileage.

Is this right or wrong, and if this is incorrect, any ideas? Gun shoots fine as long as you hit all four clicks.

Boolit Buddy
    Sounds like someone put the wrong trigger in it or it may be broken OR, it could be a short hand (pawl).

Clicks should be - safety, half cock, bolt (latch) drop, full cock/cyl lock-up (simultaneously).
    Check the sear. If it looks good, then the hand needs stretching or replacing.

Mike

Boolit Master

Doesn't sound right, at all. I've got a transfer-bar converted, 3-screw BH (XR3 frame) laying on the desk in front of me that I know is 'correct'. I bought the gun (NIB) in 1965 and it was later stolen in a burglary, recovered by police, and sat in evidence for almost a year before it was returned. When in came back it was in pretty poor condition and the transfer-bar recall was still in effect so I sent it back to Ruger. Gun was completely rebuilt and refinished (Ruger included all the removed/replaced parts when they returned my gun) and has been in my possession ever since. Bottom line is that there should be only THREE 'clicks'...(1) half-cock (2) cylinder bolt lock-up (3) full cock. There is no 'safety' notch on the transfer-bar guns.

Bill
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

Boolit Buddy
    Well, there may not be a safety notch in an "updated" 3 screw but full cock denotes end of cycle (even in a Ruger S.A. of any stripe) which should have the cyl. locking simultaneously with full cock engagement. Therefore, Rugers, Colts, Italian copies et al be them 3 clickers or 4 clickers shouldn't have any "click" after full cock.
    That being the case, the op's 3 screw needs some type of attention which will either be short/broken sear or a short hand (pawl). Since it may have been "updated" by an individual rather than Ruger, it may even have incorrect parts installed.

So, if it's a 3 clicker, just ignore the "safety" click in my post above. I'm sure Kraschenbirn ment cylinder bolt "drop" instead of "lock-up".

Without having the revolver in hand, it's all a guess.

Mike
    Last edited by 45 Dragoon; 02-16-2018 at 12:03 PM.