Titan ReloadingWidenersRotoMetals2Repackbox
Load DataReloading EverythingLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Swede: SPS Braun to Boyds "At One"

Boolit Master

Swede: SPS Braun to Boyds "At One"

Somewhat obscure I suppose but thought I would ask nonetheless.

I have this little fellow from what I call "The Cousin Earl Collection", a little sub-group of military sporters done by Bubba's older and wiser relative in the 1960s. Pre-1968 GCA import Model 1894 with the little sleeve to get the barrel over 18", that Earl put into a Fajen stock. I can't quite say why but I've decided to restock it as a target rifle. I have read a number of reviews on the Boyd's "At One" stock and although they weren't universally positive, on a value for money basis, it seemed a good way to go. The At One stock has an adjustable comb and length of pull butt plate. But, it doesn't adjust up and down or side-to-side.

Found this through the pad adjustable plate that allows vertical, horizontal and rotational movement from Stock Positioning Systems. Just wondering if anyone has any experience with it ?

Cousin Earl's Swede: Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Swede.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	70.4 KB 
ID:	213732

Boyd's At One Stock:

SPS Braun Through the Pad adjustable plate:

Banned
    It's a great stock but putting one on an 1894 M94 Carbine is questionable. If the metal work is original, you would be better served to restore it as parts are available.

Boolit Master
    Earl tapped through the Carl Gustav for scope bases, and ground off sights, so there's no going back

Boolit Master

Just how long is that over 18" barrel? If it's just over 18" it might look thin and stubby in that Boyd's stock. If it's long enough it still might look thin.

It's all a matter of personal preference, but for a thin barrel like that, I'd be looking to build something trim, light, easy to carry and fast-pointing, that could also reach out as necessary if the hunter steadied against a tree or other rest. That description does not match the At One, which is more of a competitive, long range stock.

It's your rifle, so do what you want with it, even if the collector purists may blanche.
    I give loading advice based on my actual results in factory rifles with standard chambers, twist rates and basic accurizing.
    My goals for using cast boolits are lots of good, cheap, and reasonably accurate shooting, while avoiding overly tedious loading processes.
    The BHN Deformation Formula, and why I don't use it.
    How to find and fix sizing die eccentricity problems.
    Do you trust your casting thermometer?
    A few musings.

Boolit Master

That is a nice looking rifle as it is. It looks to have been done with some love and skill. I have one of those Swedes with the barrel extension sleeve that someone beaver chewed the butt to make a " youth " rifle out of. It is covered up with a lace on leather butt pad and looks nice if you don't look close. Any how, if you go through with your stock swap I might be interested in your Fajen to replace my chewed up stock. Whatever you do, Have fun with it!
    Quis Quis Quis, Quis Liberat Canes

/////////BREAKING NEWS////////////
    Millions and millions of American shooters and sportsmen got up, went to work, contributed to society in useful and meaningful ways all over the nation and shot no one today! How do they controll themselves?? Experts Baffled....

I LIKE IKE

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by HangFireW8 View Post
    Just how long is that over 18" barrel? If it's just over 18" it might look thin and stubby in that Boyd's stock. If it's long enough it still might look thin.

It's all a matter of personal preference, but for a thin barrel like that, I'd be looking to build something trim, light, easy to carry and fast-pointing, that could also reach out as necessary if the hunter steadied against a tree or other rest. That description does not match the At One, which is more of a competitive, long range stock.

It's your rifle, so do what you want with it, even if the collector purists may blanche.
    Nail on the head. That's my concern. If the '94 doesn't work out, I'll "have" to buy a '96 or '38 ��

Frkelly74 will keep you in mind on stock

Banned
    You can also rebarrel it to 35 Remington (Brownells) that makes a great compact woods rifle.

Boolit Master
    Came out rather well, I think. The SPS Braun is drilled to match up with the Boyd butt pad holes, so it just needs two flat head screws in the same pitch and length. Needed quite a bit of work at the front of the magazine, but the top end dropped in easily and fit beautifully. The stock is remarkably light. Very impressed. Anyway, beauty in the eye of the beholder and all that, but I’m pleased. However, I’m holding onto the Fajen stock, at least for now.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	D6D304D5-0F80-4575-80CE-1D4BB19F0586.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	67.6 KB 
ID:	214978

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	17AD6654-CA90-4144-A00E-E642270A37EB.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	75.2 KB 
ID:	214979
    Last edited by RPRNY; 02-24-2018 at 01:21 AM. Reason: Spelling

Boolit Master

That is cool, How does it shoot is the next question?

Millions and millions of American shooters and sportsmen got up, went to work, contributed to society in useful and meaningful ways all over the nation and shot no one today! How do they controll themselves?? Experts Baffled....

I LIKE IKE

Boolit Master
    Too cold and windy this weekend. Will advise once weather permits.

Boolit Master
    Oh dear, that didn't go well at all. Light strikes and non-ignition. Repeatedly. Different brass (PPU and Norma) different bullet weights and charges. Same primers WLR. Same dies. Weird!

Boolit Master

Old grease in the bolt body slowing things down? Old spring? worn firing pin? There should be enough power there to really mash a primer.

I LIKE IKE

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by RPRNY View Post
    Oh dear, that didn't go well at all. Light strikes and non-ignition. Repeatedly. Different brass (PPU and Norma) different bullet weights and charges. Same primers WLR. Same dies. Weird!
    Another possibility is headspace is reducing pin intrusion. Try reloading fired cases without setting the shoulder back.
    I give loading advice based on my actual results in factory rifles with standard chambers, twist rates and basic accurizing.
    My goals for using cast boolits are lots of good, cheap, and reasonably accurate shooting, while avoiding overly tedious loading processes.
    The BHN Deformation Formula, and why I don't use it.
    How to find and fix sizing die eccentricity problems.
    Do you trust your casting thermometer?
    A few musings.

Make sure the bolt is closing all the way in that new stock.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Rojelio View Post
    Make sure the bolt is closing all the way in that new stock.
    Thanks. It’ll be this, I’m sure.

Boolit Master
    It was the bolt not closing all the way. With the turned down bolt handle it needed quite a deep furrow. Works perfectly now.

I also fit a Featherweight Mauser Timney trigger. This took quite a bit of fitting in my rifle, lengthening the seat slot by almost 1/4" and widening it as well. It also required lengthening the slot in the trigger guard by nearly a 1 /4" . That high nickel Swedish steel is not soft.

It shoots like a dream. Honsetly, today, about 50F shooting 140 grs soft points over H4350, it was consistently delivering @ 1 MOA groups and with 123 Nosler Match bullets over IMR 4064 and seated super long, gave me three 5 shot sub 1" groups in a row. A competent shooter could probably tighten these up to something really impressive .

Great stock - fantastic value for money. And although Timney made me work for it, the trigger is a tremendous transformer.