Load DataRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
RotoMetals2WidenersTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
Snyders Jerky Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Zeiss counterfeit scopes

Boolit Master

Zeiss counterfeit scopes

I knew there had at one time, been a spate of fake/counterfeit Leupold scopes, but wasn't aware of the Zeiss Conquest issue.
    A local online auction house has listed a "Zeiss Conquest Rifle Scope (New)", and when I looked at the pictures, something looked a little off. I did my research and found that there are some sellers on ebay and other online venues, that are selling scopes that are marked and marketed as Zeiss manufacture, for scrap scope prices ($45 to $100). One of the giveaways, is the box is cheaply copied (printing is messy, and the description on the end, with the specs, just has the supposed power = 4-16x50) and so far as I can tell, follow this list pretty closely:
    Common counterfeit item descriptions include:
    GOLD Scope Carl Zeiss 3-9x40AOMC Multi-X HD Riflescope Sight Aipr quake-proof
    GOLD Scope Carl Zeiss 3-9x40 RED/GREEN Reticle Multi-X H Sight Aipr Quake-Proof
    Carl Zeiss Rifle Scope 3-12X50 RED/GREEN Reticle Multi-X H Sight Aipr Quake-P
    Carl Zeiss Rifle Scope 3-12X50AOMC Red/Green Telescope Sight Aipr quake-proof
    Zeiss Rifle Scope 4-16x50AOMC Illuminated RED/GREEN Reticle Multi-X H Sight
    Golden Carl Zeiss Rifle Scope 6-24x50AOMC Red/Green Telescope Sight USA New

The one I found locally was the 4-16x50AOMC. Zeiss never made a Conquest 4-16x50. If you're bidding on a Boise/Meridian based auction site, and you have a bid in on that scope, you're not going to be very happy!!!!!
    I went to their offices, and let them know about it, and they told me that it didn't matter if it was real or not. It's a consignment, and they have printed "Please inspect" in the description, so that's all they are willing to do.
    I realize that there are those that will say "buyer beware!", but part of the reason this country is in the state that it's in, is the loss of morality and personal responsibility.

Anyway, just a heads up.

What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
    - Henry S. Haskins in “Meditations in Wall Street”

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rapidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end." ...Unknown

Vendor Sponsor

yes we are in a world now that less and less people value personal honor .. its make as much money any way you can
    counterfeit, copy outright lie just make the sale and get the dollars
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Sort of like Aimpoint ML2 scopes. I'd only get one of those used if I could inspect it or new if it was from a reputable place I've done business with.

Boolit Grand Master
    A seller ( in China ) was offering Leupold Vari X III, 1X-4x variables for less than $100 new.

I didn't buy it.

I did send him a question asking why he was selling a real Leupold scope from China at less than $100.

I never got a reply.

Buyer beware.............. ! ! ! ! !
    If it sounds too good to be true, it most likely isn't true.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben View Post
    A seller ( in China ) was offering Leupold Vari X III, 1X-4x variables for less than $100 new.

I didn't buy it.

I did send him a question asking why he was selling a real Leupold scope from China at less than $100.

I never got a reply.

Buyer beware.............. ! ! ! ! !
    If it sounds too good to be true, it most likely isn't true.
    I noticed on the Leupold adds on ebay that under details in the manufacturer position it said "generic". This was for a Vari-X III 1.5-5x.
    Fleabay doesn't seem to care one way or another.

Boolit Master
    People are buying Burris Fastfire III red dot's and others on Amazon and replacing the original with a Chinese copy and returning it (because of the generous return policies) to Amazon with all the accessories. It's then put back in stock and sold to the next buyer.

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    Look on evil bay there are tons of them coming out of China. I've seen $900 dollar Zeiss scopes for $30 dollars. They also sell bridges to. Seems the chicoms will copy anything.

Banned
    I have one of the 3-9 Conquests on order. Cost $63.00 shipped from China. Obvious fake as it's illuminated, mil-dot and has an AO. Gonna ring it out, run common tests and see how it does. Best case it can go on a 22, worst case I file a complaint with Ebay and get my $ back. These guys never will pay for a return, hence buyer gets refunded.

Boolit Master

Thank you for the heads up on this. I'm in the market for some new class and will proceed with caution. As Ziess is a contender

Banned

yup that was one of the first optic rip off counterfeits that I saw happen.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moleman- View Post
    Sort of like Aimpoint ML2 scopes. I'd only get one of those used if I could inspect it or new if it was from a reputable place I've done business with.

Boolit Grand Master

I remember an ad by Weatherby from back in the 60s or 70s about their scopes being copied. Nothing new.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    About ten years ago, China bought the lens making machinery and technology from Zeiss. So, maybe hey are the same animal in a different hide?
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    Not sure about the same animal. As a lot of reviews say they work but not to expect Zeiss quality optics. They may be worth what you pay.

Boolit Grand Master

I've seen the 80.00 Zeiss conquests on Ebay, shipping from China, and read some of the reviews, not good reviews, RUN.
    Charter Member #148

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Hodges View Post
    I noticed on the Leupold adds on ebay that under details in the manufacturer position it said "generic". This was for a Vari-X III 1.5-5x.
    Fleabay doesn't seem to care one way or another.
    FLEABAG should be forced to spend some money and go try and eliminate counterfeit sales. My opinion.

Boolit Grand Master

If fleabay is paid on a % basis, WHY WOULD THEY CARE? A dollar is a dollar.
    Information not shared. is wasted.

Boolit Buddy
    At the SHOT show in '04 or '06 (CRS problems these days...) went for a stroll down one of the optics aisles and ran into "The Happy Valley Sunshine Sales Company" or some such moniker out of Shanghai. Noticed that their displayed scopes looked suspiciously like Simmons products so I asked the guy behind the counter if they made scopes for Simmons... the conversation became a bit convoluted.

He: Jess....

Me: Do you also make for others?

H: Jess....

M: WHICH others?

H: Jess....

M: Does anyone back there speak english?

H: (you can see this one coming...) Jess...

Finally another mind-numbing hyper-salesman comes out and informs me that, although they manufacture for many different entities, they weren't at liberty to discuss their other customers... HOWEVER... if I would care to purchase 10 of their scopes they would be more than happy to apply any logo I desired. Thought of a brand called 'Snake River Rufus Krile' immediately. Then my wife kicked my shin and we adjourned to the bar. Another missed opportunity in life...

Boolit Master
    I have a counterfeit Leupold scope I obtained from AliExpress just to see if the ban on ordering from Washington was still in effect.The scope had the appropriate Leupold markings and came in a plain box.I haven't used it but the clearness of the optics is good.I have used a number of Chinese made scopes on high powered spring piston air rifles which tend to destroy scopes.None of them have failed and optics were in line with the price paid for the scope.Some of the Chinese scopes were not cheap but you usually get what you pay for.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by mold maker View Post
    If fleabay is paid on a % basis, WHY WOULD THEY CARE? A dollar is a dollar.
    Because it’s bad business. Also I would think it opens them up to being sued by the actual companies that are injured by this behavior. I am all for eBay getting nailed for facilitating criminal behavior.

Banned
    Ebay has a mechanism to report fakes. Problem is as soon as they kill one 5 more pop up.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast