Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataReloading Everything
Titan ReloadingRepackboxRotoMetals2Wideners
Lee Precision
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Organizing all of this Brass!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jessdigs View Post
    I use Costco pretzel jars, from at home and work, and store brass by Caliber, headstamp, and various stages of prep.
    Like LC 556 RTL (ready to load) cleaned, decapped, sized, swaged, trimmed
    Or LC 1x, just cleaned and needs prepped.
    I do love those peanut butter pretzel bites, but you sir have a problem!

Boolit Master
    Has anybody figured out how to get the original glued-on labels off of all of these peanut plastic jars I have?

Boolit Master

I don't know if the jars I use are the same, but I just leave the label in place and use 2" wide blue tape and write on that with a Sharpie. I have removed labels with some degreaser I got at work(before I retired) but it leaves the plastic a little rough on the surface where the adhesive was removed.
    John
    W.TN

Boolit Buddy
    Yep I was going through the same issues.
    So this is what I do......
    All loaded ammo in marked ammo cans.
    Processed brass in clear plastic hinged lid containers. Brass that I WILL be using and this is key (will be using) as I already have ammo cans full of reusable brass. Brass that WILL or is in some state of being processed goes in stackable parts storage bins on shelfs with a tag (lil sticky note) caliber and what has been done so things are in a constant stream of getting done and I'm not nailed down to any one task. Also for anything I want to load I have ready to load brass or one step away nice neat and squared away.
    I am a lil anal about how I do things.
    The proper container are very important.
    I built a large 4.5ft wide x 7ft tall 2ft deep wood cabinet all the shelf are to proper hight to house these containers except the open front stackable parts bins. Those go on shells on my work bench.

Quote Originally Posted by DonMountain View Post
    Has anybody figured out how to get the original glued-on labels off of all of these peanut plastic jars I have?
    I have used just hot water and a butterknife as a scraper on a lot of those type labels.
    Last edited by Cue; 04-01-2018 at 12:13 PM.

Moderator Emeritus

There's a readily available product called Goo-gone I swear by! Imho, it's cheap, works well, leaves no smell or residue (duh -- it's purpose ) and is regularly used by my wife and me. Try it! geoAttachment 217454

Boolit Master

I've been tempted to try Goo Gone but I've got about a gallon of industrial degreaser I got at work before I retired. It gets the labels on just about anything off. The stuff is apparently made from offal from orange processing, at least that is how it smells. Not perfect since it leaves a slightly cloudy place where the adhesive was removed.
    John
    W.TN

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by georgerkahn View Post
    There's a readily available product called Goo-gone I swear by! Imho, it's cheap, works well, leaves no smell or residue (duh -- it's purpose ) and is regularly used by my wife and me. Try it! geoAttachment 217454
    I have never heard of this stuff. Where do you get it from? Is it available from places like the WalMarts we have here in Missouri?

Boolit Master

Just soak the jars in hot soapy water and scrub them off with a dish scrubber. Works great on plastic Peanut butter jars.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by georgerkahn View Post
    Wow! My wife bought one of the new spray bottles of this Goo Gone stuff, and I took a couple of peanut butter jars down into the basement and laid them on their sides and sprayed some of this Goo Gone stuff on the labels. Came back in a couple of hours and the labels pealed right off and I could clean off the residue with a paper towel. Plastic containers are unmarked and clear showing no evidence of any glue being there. Didn't damage the plastic at all. So, now I have 4 peanut jars at a time laid out on the bench soaking with Goo Gone. And I just come back in a couple of hours and clean them off and put 4 more out. Good and cheap.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Springfield View Post
    Just soak the jars in hot soapy water and scrub them off with a dish scrubber. Works great on plastic Peanut butter jars.
    This didn't work on my peanut butter jar labels at all. But Goo Gone sure did!

Banned
    Whatever type of container you go with it needs to have square sides or as close to square sides as you can get. It is an added benefit if all of the containers are uniform.

Ammo cans are good for durability and they stack well if they are all the same type. Unfortunately, the 30 cal. and 50 cal. cans are different in all three dimensions (width, length and height). They are close to being the same height but not quite. They are also a bit expensive. If you need fewer than about 10 cans, this is probably the way to go. In terms of strength and durability, ammo cans are hard to beat.

The large plastic containers with the screw top lids and sort of square sides (like the peanut containers featured on this thread) are a good choice because they are cheap, uniform and don't waste as much space as round containers. However, It could take a while to accumulate a supply of them.

If you have a table saw, some other tools and some basic wood working skills, you can make some very fine wooden boxes. This system requires a large amount of time, a large amount of pre-planning and a strong "Big Picture" mindset. However, beyond the tools needed, it doesn't require a large amount of money. The materials are inexpensive. The goal is not to make A box, but rather a system of identical boxes that fit your needs. Planning is KEY to this method.

Whatever you decide to do, it is advantageous to think "System" and not individual container.

Boolit Master
    I think that I posted above that I’m heavily into ammo cans, but for some calibers where I have a lot of brass I’m considering square cat litter pails since we seem to get one or two a week anyway. They seem sturdy and have a handle.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by JimB.. View Post
    I think that I posted above that I’m heavily into ammo cans, but for some calibers where I have a lot of brass I’m considering square cat litter pails since we seem to get one or two a week anyway. They seem sturdy and have a handle.
    It would seem that the cat litter pails fulfill the requirement of a square container. I've only got one and it is still half full of crystal cat litter that I use for a desiccant. As I posted earlier, the nail/screw containers that I got from a friend that owns a builders supply, while not as big as the cat litter pails, are perfect for my use. The way SWMBO feels about cats leaves that option out.
    John
    W.TN

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Cat treats come in 6"x6"x9" clear plastic bottles, I plan to fill those with boolits so I'm saving them up. Small but if filled with lead they won't be light... Used to have lots of coffee cans as I ran the coffee maker for work, for years; Great for brass or boolits.

Boolit Master

Hoppes #9 takes the glue right off those Costco nut jars.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by alamogunr View Post
    It would seem that the cat litter pails fulfill the requirement of a square container. I've only got one and it is still half full of crystal cat litter that I use for a desiccant. As I posted earlier, the nail/screw containers that I got from a friend that owns a builders supply, while not as big as the cat litter pails, are perfect for my use. The way SWMBO feels about cats leaves that option out.
    Is “crystal cat litter” a brand? I’m curious about an inexpensive desiccant.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by JimB.. View Post
    Is “crystal cat litter” a brand? I’m curious about an inexpensive desiccant.
    No! It is crystals of some kind of desiccant that soaks up moisture. I don't think it is as effective as silica gel but for $12 for a 16# bucket, I couldn't pass it up. I've had this for 7-8 years and it was on a closeout shelf at a pet supply store. As I recall they replaced it with a 8# bag for about the same $$.

Since I've had it so long, I bake it in an old toaster oven at about 150º for several hours to make sure it is dry to start.

Most silica gel desiccants have a treatment that colors it blue which turns pink when it is saturated. Again baking returns it to blue
    John
    W.TN

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    JimB.. - Another option is to roast Drywall same as recharging the crystal cat litter, to recharge it. If you already have drywall scraps that's pretty affordable

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Sheesh View Post
    JimB.. - Another option is to roast Drywall same as recharging the crystal cat litter, to recharge it. If you already have drywall scraps that's pretty affordable
    I’m remodeling a room, I’ve probably burned 500lbs of drywall in the past couple months. Guess I’ll save a few scraps and see how it works.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast