MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataReloading EverythingLee Precision
RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingRepackboxInline Fabrication
Wideners

Thread: Reaching out a little further with a Cadet?

Boolit Man

Reaching out a little further with a Cadet?

Following the advice of the kind and helpful members here, my Springfield Cadet is doing what I think it should at the 100 yard mark and now I would like to extend the range a ways. First question, was the 405gr carbine load intended for the Cadet with Buffington rear sight? Secondly, what velocity do you suppose the original loads were?
    My current load, which can be adjusted up or down a little without loss of accuracy, is a 405 hollow base with a b.c. of .225 launched at 1370 fps. Using those numbers it looks like my bullet drop is a little under 43 feet at 600 yards. That is intimidating. Of course I'm intending to work out in increments of a hundred yards. I will soon discover if this is a fool's errand. So I guess my last question is, has anybody had any success shooting at mid range using the marked increments on the Buffington? And yes, I understand that I could mathematically compute my rear sight height and set it with vernier calipers, but just think how easy it would be to lob one in using the sight as it was designed. Thanks, Flintlocke

Boolit Grand Master

There's a few things that can help here. 1) figure out with the ballistics program how far above line of sight the bullet is at 200yds. Build a tall target with the aiming point at the bottom and a marker line at the height above. zero rifle so the bullets impact the line when aiming at the aiming point. Write the sight setting down it will be very close. For target shooting 100 yds is good for hunting and other every 25 yds is better. Again use your program to plot 575 yds and 600yds its enough to miss.

Boolit Man
    Good advice country gent, that will cut down on the grunt work. My range is in rough brushy country, takes forever to repaint my clangers. I've had some experience doing this with a 44-77 Peabody, did it the hard way. The one bright spot is, once you get out there past 400, you got time to look thru the spotter before the boolit arrives. Also I learned the hard way, hang a plumb line out in front of the bench to coincide with the edge of the ladder sight. Talk about horizontal dispersion! No wonder the ol timers had spirit levels. Grin. flintlocke

Boolit Buddy
    piece of cake just take a 4 x 8 sheet of plywood, go to good will and get wall paper and staple back side out (white side ) and start moving it out it out for each yardage,then just write down the marks off the sight were hits at100 200 300 the diff on the 50's it's called trigger time. nothing tells you more than sending that bullet down range,take the time to do that and leave the computer at home , you will learn more.
    That's how I dial my rifles and sighs in.

Boolit Buddy
    The Buffington sight is calibrated for the 500 grain gov't bullet. I shot my trapdoor in a mid-range match. I replaced the front blade with one I could see that was .093" wide and a little taller. I turned out that I was on at 200 yard with sight on 300, on at 300 with it set at 400 and on at 600 with it set at 700. So the calibrations are correct. I was only shooting 60 grains of black with a 535 gr. .462" diameter bullet. I made a clamp on vernier attachment for precise elevation adjustment. I had to put it on and take it off for each adjustment but it got me into the winners circle.