Lee PrecisionWidenersRotoMetals2Load Data
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxSnyders JerkyReloading Everything
Titan Reloading Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How Much Does a Five gallon Bucket of Wheel Weights Weigh?

Boolit Master

How Much Does a Five gallon Bucket of Wheel Weights Weigh?

I realize the weight can vary on how close to the top of the bucket is filled as well as how much trash is mixed in. I just need a ballpark estimate so I can determine if the seller’s price is right for me. Thanks
    TEAM HOLLYWOOD

NRA- LIFE TSRA-LIFE SASS-LIFE

Boolit Master

Five pound bucket or five gallon bucket? Not being a Nancy I've just never heard of a five pound bucket

Boolit Master
    A five pound bucket? Five pounds. A five gallon bucket? Well........
    Make no mistake -- They will remember how easily you surrendered your rights.

Boolit Master
    Five gallon bucket

Wow, mega blonde Senior moment here, haha ��.

Sorry, I reckon I shouldn’t be starting threads upon waking.
    TEAM HOLLYWOOD

North Central Montana; across the wide Missouri
    I don't remember what it weighed, what I do remember was that there are 6200+/- 38 Special cases in a 5 "gallon" plastic bucket. This from over 20 years ago. I paid the guy $15.00 for it and we were both satisfied.

Boolit Master
    I have two 50lb isotope lead bars from a WWII submarine sitting in my garage. Just as a rough estimation, I think a five gallon bucket would hold at least six of these, making 300lbs.
    Make no mistake -- They will remember how easily you surrendered your rights.

Go over to the Lead and Lead Alloys and there is a sticky on this very question.

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    I'm going with 135# per 5-gallon bucket. On average.
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

Picked up a 5 gallon bucket at a car dealer yesterday. It was 3/4 full and weighed 81 pounds. After separating the junk I ended up with 24 pounds of COWW, 24 pounds of SOWW and 33 pounds of unusable zinc, steel, nails and screws. I still need to pay the manager for the 81 pounds. No price has been negotiated since the give away was approved last week and this week the manager is out sick. I know they get 5 cents per pound for clean wheel weights and so does he. I am thinking of offering him 15 cents a pound ($12.15) to get the negotiations going without insulting him, or should I just offer a flat $15 cash? what do you think?
    VOTE, VOTE, VOTE often. In dealing with potential dishonesty or corruption, Something you might keep in mind is a revealing quote by S.W. Erdnase in his book The Expert at the Card Table "Almost every ruse in the game is more or less dependent upon another one."
    Politicians are like babies diapers, they should be changed often and for the same reason. Mark Twain

I would say Beagle333 is correct if full pretty close to the top. Is sort of an average. Large weights leave more air space between them than small weights so they can weigh less, but larger weights mean fewer steel clips.

When I saw the heading I thought it was going to be a thread along the lines of which weighs more a pound of gold or a pound of feathers?
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Quote Originally Posted by bbogue1 View Post
    Picked up a 5 gallon bucket at a car dealer yesterday. It was 3/4 full and weighed 81 pounds. After separating the junk I ended up with 24 pounds of COWW, 24 pounds of SOWW and 33 pounds of unusable zinc, steel, nails and screws. I still need to pay the manager for the 81 pounds. No price has been negotiated since the give away was approved last week and this week the manager is out sick. I know they get 5 cents per pound for clean wheel weights and so does he. I am thinking of offering him 15 cents a pound ($12.15) to get the negotiations going without insulting him, or should I just offer a flat $15 cash? what do you think?
    Price per pound, a little higher than going rate would get things started. He gets 5 cents, offer 10 cents. Maybe point out that is double the going rate. If he doesn't take it you offer $12 and point out that is almost 15 cents a pound. By setting a per pound price you establish a rate going forward. I find that our scrap yard rate is around 35 cents, I offer 40 cents and that silly little bit more is just that "more" so the deal gets done.

Oh and stop back by with bag of donuts some morning or a pizza at lunch time to say thanks. Money matters but in the end it can be about relationship between you and the shop. Makes a difference, lots of folks got money. You should be the guy that shows your appreciation AND pays better.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Boolit Master
    Thanks for the info, y’all gave me what I needed. And sorry about the goofy title.
    TEAM HOLLYWOOD

Boolit Master

I just went through a foot of new snow to get into the barn because I didn't like my flippant answer above, from my dwindling stock of wheel weights one at random weights 145 pounds filled almost to the top, a similar empty bucket weights 2.4.

Moderator Emeritus

I've found the same, FULL is 145lbs

BUT, I've never seen a FULL bucket...every time I've been told about full buckets of COWW that I could buy, they are never full. They usually have 100 lbs or less, because the average guy can't move a full bucket of COWW.

I have moved this thread and corrected the title
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Quote Originally Posted by RogerDat View Post
    Price per pound, a little higher than going rate would get things started. He gets 5 cents, offer 10 cents. Maybe point out that is double the going rate. If he doesn't take it you offer $12 and point out that is almost 15 cents a pound. By setting a per pound price you establish a rate going forward. I find that our scrap yard rate is around 35 cents, I offer 40 cents and that silly little bit more is just that "more" so the deal gets done.

Oh and stop back by with bag of donuts some morning or a pizza at lunch time to say thanks. Money matters but in the end it can be about relationship between you and the shop. Makes a difference, lots of folks got money. You should be the guy that shows your appreciation AND pays better.
    Great answer. I'll have that bag o donuts on Monday morning when I go see him and we'll start with my offer of doubling the money to 10 cents.
    VOTE, VOTE, VOTE often. In dealing with potential dishonesty or corruption, Something you might keep in mind is a revealing quote by S.W. Erdnase in his book The Expert at the Card Table "Almost every ruse in the game is more or less dependent upon another one."
    Politicians are like babies diapers, they should be changed often and for the same reason. Mark Twain

Boolit Master
    Thanks nagantguy for your trouble!

Thank you JonB for fixing and moving the thread.
    TEAM HOLLYWOOD

Boolit Master

I recently purchased a 5 gal bucket full to the top of sorted lead wheel weights, the seller and I slide it on to the fork of a fork lift and then onto a scale IIRC it was 165 or so. No I didn't pick it and toss it into my truck We broke it down into 2 buckets and I still had a hard time unloading them(used the forklift to load)
    It's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years (Abe Lincoln)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” George Washington

Boolit Grand Master

Me and another member recently purchased 30 something buckets of weights. The clip on's weighed from 130# to 160#. The stick ons weighed between 110# and 120#. These were slightly below level full allowing room for a snap on lid. The weight depends at least a little on the size of the weights and how well they settle in the bucket. A bucket of ingots will weigh more, often up to 260#. A bucket of range scrap will also weigh more. I've seen them from 180# to 240#.

Boolit Master
    A full bucket of mostly lead weights will be close to 150 lbs, in my experience.
    If there is a lot of steel, zinc, and trash then it will be closer to 100 lbs.
    Ronald Reagan once said that the most terrifying words in the English language are: "I'm from the government and I'm here to help".
    Download my alloy calculator here: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=105952

If you sort weights and store the sorted weights you might find that a 3/4 full bucket weighs around 78# and they will stack 3 high fairly easily or 4 high if you want to lift that far. I suppose the same would be true of unsorted weights but those are sometimes more or less full and I find if the bucket is too full they get sort of tippy when stacked, where at 3/4 full they don't fit snug and get stuck but are down far enough to not be as tippy. Using 5 gallon Home Depot orange buckets.

I also find a 3/4 full bucket is about the right size to fill my Harbor Freight Dutch Oven that I melt in. Have to fill then add as the bottom melts and the pile settles, and importantly also before the top melts so I'm not dumping WW's into molten lead but onto a pile that is melted underneath. 3/4 bucket once melted still has room for stirring and straining out clips without being at the point of overflowing. Can fit 100# in but 75 - 80 is generally enough for one batch.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast