Inline FabricationRotoMetals2RepackboxSnyders Jerky
Reloading EverythingLoad DataTitan ReloadingWideners
MidSouth Shooters Supply Lee Precision

Thread: 32 S&W loads for a rifle

Boolit Buddy

32 S&W loads for a rifle

I've got a Maynard barrel lined with a TJ's liner with a 16" twist and chambered in 32 S&W Long. My objective was to approximate the 32 Long rimfire. My best load so far is the Lyman 115 grain bullet with 3.0 grains of Unique. The smaller Lyman bullet for the S&W cartridge did not shoot well. I got a new Accurate 100 grain mold today and haven't made bullets yet. All the load info seems to be for pistols with short barrels and fast burning powders. Does anyone have any load info for rifles. I would like to keep the loads subsonic to stay with the intent of the cartridge. I've got a 32-20 if I want to up the velocity.

Factory loads were so weak that many did not seal the chamber and I got blowback on the cases and low impact on the target. The ones with a good report shot OK.
    Last edited by Deadeye Bly; 02-07-2018 at 09:48 PM.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    I have an Army & Navy Cooperative Society rook rifle which was relined and rechambered by John Taylor to .32 S&W Long. Because it is a black powder action I keep the loads light and don't exceed the pressures which would be normal for factory revolver ammunition in this caliber. I use the heeled .320-120 bullet for the .310 Greener cast 1:30 tin-lead, lightly lubricated with Lee Liquid Alox and 2 grains of Bullseye.

Velocity is about 900 fps. The original iron sights shoot this load to zero using the folding open sight leaves at their marked ranges out to 150 yards. I have a stronger actioned, single-shot rifle chambered in .32 S&W Long with the same reamer and have tried slower powders, but faster loads and slower powders are less accurate than those with Bullseye at velocities from 900-1050 fps.

Attachment 213538Attachment 213539

In the regular .32 S&W, not the Long, I would use one of the lighter heeled bullets intended for the .310 Greener (Cadet) and the lightest charge of Bullseye you which can accurately measure. My RCBS Little Dandy rotor #00 meters 1.5-1.7 grains, which is correct for the standard .32 S&W, but should not be exceeded.

Attachment 213536
    Last edited by Outpost75; 02-06-2018 at 10:31 PM.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Buddy
    why the heeled bullets in a relined barrel? is the groove dia. greater than .314 ?

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Quote Originally Posted by NorthMoccasin View Post
    why the heeled bullets in a relined barrel? is the groove dia. greater than .314 ?
    No, but the chamber is a bit longer than the case and the forcing cone is angled directly from the .335" case mouth diameter, without a ball seat, so the heeled bullet fits the throat and origin of rifling better and shoots much more accurately than a .314 cylindrical bullet which is unsupported during its transition from the case mouth into full engraving during initial shot-start.

I say again for the umpteeth time, bullets must fit the THROAT, NOT the groove diameter of the barrel.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.