WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxRotoMetals2
Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingLoad DataInline Fabrication
Titan Reloading Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 265 keith and w296

265 keith and w296

looking for min/max load data for a cast 265gr keith (maybe closer to 270, with my alloy) with w 296, that boolit weight range just doesn't have much lead boolit info, plenty of loads for the hornady bullet, but not a keith. I am not looking to push the limits, but also don't want to underload it. just looking for about 1300-1400 max. thank you all for your time!- Travis

PS- finally got the ruger SBH bisley hunter!, haven't shot it yet, waiting for a sizer, and load data^, I only had enough money for one type of powder, and the most used was 110/296, but now I am thinking acc no9 would have been better, but I must make due with what I have for now. Have a good day!!!
    An armed man in a citizen.
    An unarmed man is a subject.
    A disarmed man is a slave.

Boolit Master

Travis, you've been talking about that SBH Bisley Hunter for at least two years. Now, you got hold of it, and you didn't post a pic ?

C'mon, we wanna see it !

Boolit Grand Master

Might help to know what cartridge your talking about?
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Mine likes 22.0 of H110 or 296 with the NOE Ranch Dog 265. Not the maximum charge you are looking for but no deer has stopped one yet.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

oops... its a 44 mag, and as far as pics... next time my sister comes over I will have her take one with her phone and help me download it, my phone is literally 15-16 years old, and I don't have too many computer skills! lol but i'll post some probably this weekend! I know, it has been a long time coming! cant wait to get some practice in, and then go out for some hog hunting!

thanks thumbcocker, the kick probably isn't too bad with 22grs is it? I have seen some loads online for 24grs, with a heavier bullet/ or boolit! I will probably be plenty happy with 22grs, I was more worried about underloading than overloading. thanks again!

It does back away from the boolit smartly but the ribbed barrel helps. Very accurate.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Grand Master

Lyman 429640HP Devastator
    275 gr fully dressed
    COWW w/2% tin mixed 50/50 with lead
    WW Super 44 Magnum cases
    WLP Primer
    23 gr H110

30,200 psi(m43)
    Measured in Contender barrel via Oehler M43 PBL
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

wow, that's less pressure than I thought it would be for that charge/ weight, since the dev. ends up a bit heavier that the 277 keith (noe) actual weight says 264, but with my alloy it will be a bit more, not much, so I can try charges from 22-23 to try to find the best accuracy load.... what increments do you suggest, maybe 22,22.2,22.4,22.6,22.8,23 grs? or will .2 grains not be enough to see a difference? would .25-.3gr increments be better? thanks a lot!
    ps, the only thing I donthave is a sizer for my 450, tomorrow I am going to a gunstore to borrow some pin gauges to check the throats before commiting to a sizer, and I was also going to find the right pin guage for bore size, and check the muzzle, then the breech, to see if the barrel has any of the dreaded frame constriction I have heard about.

also, thumbcocker, and larrygibson, do you have an idea as to the velocity of those loads out of a 7.5" barrel? thanks!

Fast enough to go through an Illinois white tail. Never chronoed it. I got that load from .44 Man who used to post here. Verified it was safe and tried it. Never looked back. I load for accuracy and it met my requirements.

that's good enough for me, aren't the deer out there supposedly bigger than okie deer?

The biggest buck I have killed (with a bow) field dressed 180 lbs. I have seen many that were much bigger than him at the processor or check in station. Does usually field dress 100 to 130# bucks 130 to a lot bigger depending on age and proximity to corn fields. Rough figures only lots of room on both ends of the scale.

I have never seen a deer in Illinois that I would hesitate to shoot at with my Bisley hunter with that load. I would be concerned about range and conditions or other things that might effect my ability to make the shot but the boolit putting the deer down is a non-issue.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0797.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	65.9 KB 
ID:	214054

there she is in all her glory!!! the gunstore claimed they didn't have any pin gauges for me to check the thoaat sizes so that I know what sizer to get, yet they work on guns there, problem was, I think, that I wasn't paying them to do it! but beside it is a noe 432-277 keith, but they say actual weight with WW's is 264, so with my alloy probably 270. it is going to kill me waiting to get my dies and stuff in the mail, so I can load for it and shoot it! if the boolits drop out of the mold small enough, i'll pan lube them and shoot that way until I get a sizer. do either of you know the average throat size on these?

Boolit Buddy
    .431 is the best bet.

that's good, I've got one In the mail, I was pretty sure 430 would be too small so I got the 431 and figure if I need to I can polish it out to 4315-432 if I need to. I got my reloading dies today, just waiting on the sizing die, but tomorrow I am going to cast a bunch, and measure them, and if they measure around 431-432, I will pan lube some so I can shoot it. if the come out bigger than that, I figure I can roll at least 6 between 2 smooth steel surfaces, hand lube them and load them, so I can at least fire a cylinder out of her! I am not the kind of person that buys a gun, then is ok with waiting a week or more to try it out " the next range visit", or whatever. luckily I have a 50 yard range in my backyard! I'm really lucky there!

Boolit Master

Good looking revolver Travis ! You're going to love it.

I know I really enjoy mine...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1010002 (Medium).jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	51.3 KB 
ID:	214189

And, I too size to .431, when I size them. I'll size and lube the RCBS 44-250-K.

I run the Lee TL430-240SWC as cast, tumbled with either 45-45-10 or BLL.

As a new owner of one myself I’ll second the fact you’ll love shooting it.

I have heard that with 296/110 .5gr increments are enough, no need to go any closer with development. I suppose that you just wouldn’t be able to tell the difference in it is all. 44 mag is not a tack driver rifle.

I’m going to be testing some solid nose Lyman Devastator which weigh in around 290gr myself. I plan on starting around 20grs myself.

newton, thanks, i'll just go with .5grs to start! now, do you have the older mold that the devastator is based on or did you make a spud with a flat end?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast